Please may I mess with your mind?

OK, so I have a race round the world with my brother and I go one way and he goes the other.  

I spend the first night in India, the second in Japan, the third in LA, the fourth in New York and the fifth back in the UK.  We leave at the start of the month so I stay in India on the 1st, Japan the 2nd but as I cross the International Date Line between Japan and LA it means that I will stay in LA on the 2nd as well.  New York on the 3rd and back in the UK on the 4th.

My brother stays in New York on the 1st, LA on the 2nd but as he's crossing the International Date Line the other way he stays in Japan on the 4th, India on the 5th and back in the UK on the 6th.

So I've beaten him by 2 days.  The flights were exactly the same length for arguments sake. There is a logical explanation for this but it can really mess your mind up trying to figure it out.

By the way has anyone here actually crossed the International Date Line?  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of time you save going to the East is considerably shorter than going West due to time zones. Each day will be shorter whereas going West each day will be longer.

24 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

OK, so I have a race round the world with my brother and I go one way and he goes the other.  

I spend the first night in India, the second in Japan, the third in LA, the fourth in New York and the fifth back in the UK.  We leave at the start of the month so I stay in India on the 1st, Japan the 2nd but as I cross the International Date Line between Japan and LA it means that I will stay in LA on the 2nd as well.  New York on the 3rd and back in the UK on the 4th.

My brother stays in New York on the 1st, LA on the 2nd but as he's crossing the International Date Line the other way he stays in Japan on the 4th, India on the 5th and back in the UK on the 6th.

So I've beaten him by 2 days.  The flights were exactly the same length for arguments sake. There is a logical explanation for this but it can really mess your mind up trying to figure it out.

Stick to watches to Universal Mars time and you won't get confused. 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If my brother started a sentence “OK, so” I’d disown him, not race him around the world.

You dont* even have a brother.

Another day in the life of Fantasy Par.

*Conditions apply.  This may mean that you do.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

'fraid he does.

product-image_644f1635-2a6d-4ddb-bef4-6f

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The fucker mentally scarred me for life. Always pretended he was some sort of killer alien/zombie when our folks went out and he was meant to be looking after me. 

1 hour ago, th1stleandr0se said:

f**k off.

On one occasion, I crossed the International Date Line on a flight from Japan to Anchorage where the airplane refueled before continuing on to Europe.
At Anchorage, I was able to say "At this time today I was at Tokyo Zoo and it was true."

On another occasion, on a flight to New Zealand, I crossed the International Date Line at midnight and went from Thursday straight into Saturday.  I am not sure if that makes me a day older or a day younger or what.

Archived