Brewdog - Beer For Girls

Guest bernardblack

16 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I drink mostly craft beers but I stopped caring about what other people drink a while ago.  I've sampled many many beers and have found a handful of different ones I like depending on the style I feel like drinking.  There are some excellent craft lagers being made here these days so if I feel like a lager I can get a good one without needing to buy corn-syrupy stuff made by the big brewers that I personally hate.  In saying that I do like lagers made by some of the bigger European companies that follow the Bavarian beer purity law, Lowenbrau in particular I enjoy, also Pilsner Urquell.  I guess it's more the Corn Syrup and other shite that the big North American brewers put in their beers that I hate

As for this brewing company, sounds as though they are trying to be deliberately provocative to get their name in the headlines, sort of the Ryanair strategy

I find the phrase "German purity law" to be extremely sinister. It almost puts me off drinking Lowenbrau.

However, at 75p a can (74p if bought as a fourpack) I am prepared to ignore the Goebbelsness.

Maybe brewdog could use a genocidal theme for their next publicity stunt?

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I find the phrase "German purity law" to be extremely sinister. It almost puts me off drinking Lowenbrau.

However, at 75p a can (74p if bought as a fourpack) I am prepared to ignore the Goebbelsness.

Maybe brewdog could use a genocidal theme for their next publicity stunt?

Well,if I said Reinheitsgebot people that aren't beer nerds wouldn't know what I was talking about 

Being an auld kant, I prefer what used to be referred to as special or export. There are some excellent new beers out there, plus the likes of Broughton, Williams and even Belhaven producing beer that appeals to me, but Brewdog's stuff all tends to be based on the appalling American IPA trend with all the hoppy bitterness that goes with it.

And I do have a beard although I am more post-hipster than hipster.

At what point does craft beer begin or end? It's beer, experiment and drink more of the kinds you like. If a tosser with a top knot and tattoos is standing next to you, move. Same as you would if a slabbering ned in a tracksuit turned up next to you. If the pub is shite, move on.
I've been drinking for years, but it's not that hard to get the hang of.
This exactly. When I drink a beer pretty much the last thing that's going through my head is what marketing campaign it has been involved in, what surroundings I'm in, or the personality of the brewery owners. Do I like it , yes or no, pretty simple why complicate it.
Can't understand people who will either love or hate everything made from one brewery , some brewdogs I like some i cant stand, same with most other brands.

Guest bernardblack
2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry if already mentioned but Brewdog will be opening a pub in Edinburgh airport (in some new/extended bit).  

Imagine the cost of Brewdog at airport rates - £7/pint?

Might be a tough sell, since the spoons at the airport already sells Punk on tap 

Don't mind their stuff but then again I walk past both their bars in Edinburgh most days and never feel the need to pop in.

Long read on them:

The aggressive, outrageous, infuriating (and ingenious) rise of BrewDog

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/24/the-aggressive-outrageous-infuriating-and-ingenious-rise-of-brewdog?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Don't mind their stuff but then again I walk past both their bars in Edinburgh most days and never feel the need to pop in.

Long read on them:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/24/the-aggressive-outrageous-infuriating-and-ingenious-rise-of-brewdog?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Long read on them:

Just read that article. Had never heard of any of that stuff before. Much of it is indeed very wanky (although the giving of £200k each year to smaller breweries is nice) and some of it is just outright dickhead behaviour.

However it doesn't change my tastes one bit. I still really like their beers (except Electric India, but then I'm not a fan of saison beers anyway) and will continue to drink them. The few bars of theirs I've been in I like and will continue to like (the one in Dundee often has actual dogs in it).

Claiming that you won't use a product because the creators have done some wanky/dickish things sounds quite hipsteriah to me. It would be different if they did some actually harmful things, but just being wankers?! Who cares. If you really did then you wouldn't touch loads of products. Tenements has had some missteps (that Wishaw stuff, brewing Super) but I don't care and will also continue to drink that.

Anyway, I'm in a Wetherspoons in Paisley drinking Lerwick IPA (I've seen the actual brewery and it's tiny).

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm in the Criterion Bar in Stornoway. They both sell Punk IPA (nice pint it is too), and have a sign above the bar saying "we don't have Wi-Fi we talk to each other".

This is like North and South Korea coming together for talks.

Pretty sure I've been there a year or so ago. Is it long and narrow with battered furniture? Proper old man's pub? Might be different on a Saturday night but I'm surprised they do Punk IPA.

Pretty sure I've been there a year or so ago. Is it long and narrow with battered furniture? Proper old man's pub? Might be different on a Saturday night but I'm surprised they do Punk IPA.

As a local I can confirm it is the resident old man pub. The drinks are cheap as f**k though.

7 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

As a local I can confirm it is the resident old man pub. The drinks are cheap as f**k though.

I liked it. Went for an overnight trip and it was too windy for the ferry so had to stay an extra night. Just about the only place open on a Sunday IIRC.

I sent a text to my Dad saying I was inside that mocked up old world pub that they have inside the Riverside Museum.

Old school. Yes, Very narrow!

I liked it! Pint was good, pint was cheap. We all enjoyed France winning the rugby at least!