Ayr vs Raith

36 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

We put quite a few uncontested balls in the box that barely made their way back out on Saturday, too many to be accidental.  

Saturday was the worst I can remember us when dealing with set pieces. Even when an Ayr player didn't win the ball we invariably made a hash of the clearance.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could easily have been given as a red, and if it was deep in the second half of a fiery game, it probably would have. 
But its not why we lost the game and I absolutely hate it when people cling on to something that masks the real issue. Rovers cant control the ref, no point trying. What we can control is whether or not our left back gives away a daft foul. Or we leave the best striker in this league unmarked at the resulting free kick. Or our right back deems a five yard header to the edge of the box a good idea.   We were absolutely gubbed in a crunch game against our title rivals, going on about refs etc is just poor show and bitter – I’d expect that from the old firm.
We wont learn or improve anything going on about hard luck stories, actually recognising and addressing the obvious glaring issues in our team would be a better place to start.

Agree with this. In an alternative universe we could’ve had three big decisions go for us in our past three - Albion’s last minute penalty was at best soft, we had a pretty obvious penalty turned down against Arbroath, and Shankland should be sent off.

Did we deserve any better than two points from those three games though? I don’t think even Barry Smith would argue we did. A bit of luck would be nice but let’s not pretend it’s the real issue here (and to be fair I haven’t seen anyone trying to do so).

I don’t think we have much more margin for error if we want to win the league. Possibly need to win all eight, which includes four away from home at venues where we collected five points on our first visits. Doesn’t look good.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

It could easily have been given as a red, and if it was deep in the second half of a fiery game, it probably would have. 

But its not why we lost the game and I absolutely hate it when people cling on to something that masks the real issue. Rovers cant control the ref, no point trying. What we can control is whether or not our left back gives away a daft foul. Or we leave the best striker in this league unmarked at the resulting free kick. Or our right back deems a five yard header to the edge of the box a good idea.   We were absolutely gubbed in a crunch game against our title rivals, going on about refs etc is just poor show and bitter – I’d expect that from the old firm.

We wont learn or improve anything going on about hard luck stories, actually recognising and addressing the obvious glaring issues in our team would be a better place to start.

Cracking and honest post, well said

54 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

6 wins and 2 draws would give us 78pts. Haven't checked the history books but doubt there's many, if any, teams who have failed to win this league with that total.

Not quite but St Johnstone managed 84 points from 39 games(if it was 3 for a win) against us in 87/88, we were celebrating the title with games to spare.

We had the equivalent of 87 points after 36 games that season.

20 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Doesn't mean we should lap it up, if I was a Raith fan I'd only be interested in asking why the only tactic was to hit the deck looking for a card, this was the biggest game of the season for both teams so far and Raith showed next to no passion, urgency or desperation to win the game, I'd have been absolutely fucking raging if I'd travelled down for that pish.

I was raging that I travelled down for that pish!  however it doesn’t escape the fact Shankland deliberately stood on Mathews back leg whether it was a stamp or not is irrelevant the intent was there!  and if the shoe was on the other foot Ayr fans wouldn’t be happy either, but some Ayr fans are trying to legitimise shanklands  actions with that of Furtado tackle on Boyle!   Furtado deserved a booking without a doubt but genuinely went for the ball however shanklands was behind the refs and the players back which went unpunished thats why I’m aggrieved like many other Rovers fans.

I personally have no complaints with the result as we were totally out played, out fought, lack of desire and passion the list goes on but it infuriates me when Ayr fans are condoning Shanklands behaviour which was appalling

8 minutes ago, basher brash said:

I was raging that I travelled down for that pish!  however it doesn’t escape the fact Shankland deliberately stood on Mathews back leg whether it was a stamp or not is irrelevant the intent was there!  and if the shoe was on the other foot Ayr fans wouldn’t be happy either, but some Ayr fans are trying to legitimise shanklands  actions with that of Furtado tackle on Boyle!   Furtado deserved a booking without a doubt but genuinely went for the ball however shanklands was behind the refs and the players back which went unpunished thats why I’m aggrieved like many other Rovers fans.

I personally have no complaints with the result as we were totally out played, out fought, lack of desire and passion the list goes on but it infuriates me when Ayr fans are condoning Shanklands behaviour which was appalling

I don't think there's anyone legitimising Shanklands actions, I'm an Ayr fan and I was less than happy that Raith players were trying to con the ref early doors, what goes around comes around.

I missed Shankland's actions at the time but am really annoyed he was so stupid but more because he could have picked up a card that affected our future games. He couldn't have been sure he wouldn't be seen. Just silly. May not have altered Saturday's result but could have had repercussions!

I missed Shankland's actions at the time but am really annoyed he was so stupid but more because he could have picked up a card that affected our future games. He couldn't have been sure he wouldn't be seen. Just silly. May not have altered Saturday's result but could have had repercussions!

Imo it's as clear a red as you will see. He knew what he was doing, anyone who's been on a pitch will say the same (surely) he's smart with how he done it though and fair play to him he got away with it. At 0-0 it could have had a massive bearing on the game and title race so I'm dissapointed in the refs decision. It is what it is though and hopefully we can bounce back tomorrow.

As ever with most football fans your opinion of the Shankland incident  depends on which team you support. Hard to get an unbiased view on this.

Only Shankland knows if he meant to stand on the player. If he did, he's a dick and could quite possibly have harmed his teams chances by being sent off.  If not, he needs to look more carefully where is walking. He must step on dog poo all the time.

I'm leaning more towards the he-did-do-it-intentionally camp. The Raith no 12 rolling around in agony though is equally embarrassing. Call it a score draw in incidents both sides would rather forget.

4 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

As ever with most football fans your opinion of the Shankland incident  depends on which team you support. Hard to get an unbiased view on this.

Only Shankland knows if he meant to stand on the player. If he did, he's a dick and could quite possibly have harmed his teams chances by being sent off.  If not, he needs to look more carefully where is walking. He must step on dog poo all the time.

I'm leaning more towards the he-did-do-it-intentionally camp. The Raith no 12 rolling around in agony though is equally embarrassing. Call it a score draw in incidents both sides would rather forget.

How many Ayr fans have said it was not intentional?

3 minutes ago, MadMadge said:

If anyone can positively identify the person who racially abused McDaid can you please get in touch with Bob Farmer at RRFC

Feel sorry for the culprit as it's more likely to have been a rush of blood/booze and he probably deeply regrets ot now.

If I was him I'd be trying to contact McDaid through Ayr and saying sorry

Feel sorry for the culprit as it's more likely to have been a rush of blood/booze and he probably deeply regrets ot now.
If I was him I'd be trying to contact McDaid through Ayr and saying sorry

He should do the right thing and apologise to McDaid, Ayr Utd and Raith Rovers. If he meant it in a different context (which I have been told) he needs to explain himself.

3 minutes ago, MadMadge said:

He should do the right thing and apologise to McDaid, Ayr Utd and Raith Rovers. If he meant it in a different context (which I have been told) he needs to explain himself.

Struggling to think of how shouting something like that can have an alternate context to what we all fear the real reason was. 

Interested to hear though. 

Archived