The Guid C*** Thread

I love complaining and being a grumpy old git well ahead of my time, but I suppose it's sometimes good and healthy to put the slagging to one side and give shouts out to the many good people in life that you wouldn't necessarily just mention in the Reasons to be Cheerful thread.

May I start with acknowledging the guid c*** that found my phone on Union Street last week. I got on the last bus to find my phone had disappeared between there and the bar two mins before and when I was able to phone it back half an hour later I got through to a guy who had sat in the pub waiting for it to ring after finding it on the snow outside. He basically said not to worry and that he'd hand it into the bar. 11am the next morning my phone was back in my possession, something I never expected to happen at all.

I'll also highlight another good guy who I recently found is a big Pars fan, but because he lives in Grangemouth takes his kids to watch Falkirk so that they can cheer on their local team. Says he f***in' hates it but he's a practice what you preach sort of guy, so hats off to him for that.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'll also highlight another good guy who I recently found is a big Pars fan, but because he lives in Grangemouth takes his kids to watch Falkirk so that they can cheer on their local team. Says he f***in' hates it but he's a practice what you preach sort of guy, so hats off to him for that.

Tantamout to child abuse, making his kids watch that shite tbf, 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm torn on this issue.

My kids go to a catholic school so are at risk of peer pressure pushing them towards Celtic. Maybe not, maybe I am small minded and making generalisations.

I hate the tribalism of the Old Firm and in a slightly lesser way Hearts & Hibs, the way that supporting a club is more than just following a team and creeps into every aspect of your life. I take them to Dunfermline games but my local team is Livingston and they seem very active in the community which has me considering taking them to Almondvale as well as East End Park and seeing what takes.

1 minute ago, ShaggysBeard said:

My kids go to a catholic school

My bairn is at a a catholic primary school (dont ask) but I've instilled a deep hatred of anything Celtic related.  At this stage she has no idea who Rangers were or Sevco are but that is phase 2 which will kick in this year.

She already thinks Dundee, Dundee Utd and all this Jesus nonsense are shite so its all going well so far.

1 hour ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I'm torn on this issue.

My kids go to a catholic school so are at risk of peer pressure pushing them towards Celtic. Maybe not, maybe I am small minded and making generalisations.

I hate the tribalism of the Old Firm and in a slightly lesser way Hearts & Hibs, the way that supporting a club is more than just following a team and creeps into every aspect of your life. I take them to Dunfermline games but my local team is Livingston and they seem very active in the community which has me considering taking them to Almondvale as well as East End Park and seeing what takes.

You might as well take them to McDonald's in that case as that's a franchise too (albeit a more successful one).

People that churn out interesting free content with funny and/or thought provoking guests - eg the podcasts knocked out by Adam Buxton Russell Brand, Prof Brian Cox, Richard Herring - are a real blessing. You almost feel yourself getting marginally less stupid when listening to some of their guests. 

People that churn out interesting free content with funny and/or thought provoking guests - eg the podcasts knocked out by Adam Buxton Russell Brand, Prof Brian Cox, Richard Herring - are a real blessing. You almost feel yourself getting marginally less stupid when listening to some of their guests. 

Would encourage you to listen to Scroobious Pip’s Distraction Pieces if you like the above.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Would encourage you to listen to Scroobious Pip’s Distraction Pieces if you like the above.

Yes, him too! Don't listen to everything Pip does but it can be very good. They usually end up on each others' shows at some point. When doing boring stuff like ironing it's a lifesaver. Just discovered Elis James & John Robins recently too. 

Yes, him too! Don't listen to everything Pip does but it can be very good. They usually end up on each others' shows at some point. When doing boring stuff like ironing it's a lifesaver. Just discovered Elis James & John Robins recently too. 

Yeah, I think SP’s first episode had Brand as the guest. I’m the same with it though - I don’t listen to them all but I’ll just listen to anyone if I’m in the mood, doesn’t need to be someone I’ve heard of.
I’ve been a fan of EJ & JR’s podcast a while. End up quite attached to it, think it’s because there’s a lot of inside jokes and call backs to previous episodes etc.

23 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Yeah, I think SP’s first episode had Brand as the guest. I’m the same with it though - I don’t listen to them all but I’ll just listen to anyone if I’m in the mood, doesn’t need to be someone I’ve heard of.
I’ve been a fan of EJ & JR’s podcast a while. End up quite attached to it, think it’s because there’s a lot of inside jokes and call backs to previous episodes etc.

When you're bombarded with what a terrible place the world is it's such a relief to listen to this pair. They've got such a close connection it goes beyond just being funny - it's like a window into this really close, platonic love affair between them. 

When you're bombarded with what a terrible place the world is it's such a relief to listen to this pair. They've got such a close connection it goes beyond just being funny - it's like a window into this really close, platonic love affair between them. 

Very true! Wait until you’re up to speed with both their fondness of “the lovely Robin”. I’ve never met the guy but I’m convinced he must be the nicest person in the world the way they talk about him.
The podcast also put me on to Elis James’ Feast of football (EJFOF), with Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts. It’s pretty good, even if it’s just all about Welsh football - good insight and proper discussion. Anyway, kind of detailing the thread here. Elis and John are certified guid c***s imo.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Image result for weird al gif

Suppose it doesn't have to be dull. Sammy the Tammy had various routines featuring an ironing board. Seem to remember him ironing his strip and of course using it as a surfboard. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Suppose it doesn't have to be dull. Sammy the Tammy had various routines featuring an ironing board. Seem to remember him ironing his strip and of course using it as a surfboard. 

I bet he didn't iron his bell end though.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I bet he didn't iron his bell end though.

Sammy whipping out his furry 2ft long cock before a game would be about the only thing that could rescue this season from being our most boring ever. 

6 hours ago, supermik said:

To think that you can get a knighthood for riding a bicycle and we have guys like this in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nott

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Fitzpatrick

97F91064-6FE4-41AD-A11F-0D21BF9358BC.jpeg

That guy is a psychopath.

"he has a bit of arthritis in the joint. if it's left untreated he'll die in pain within 3 days. The only option is for me to amputate at the pelvis and make some totally awasome titanium legs like out of terminator"

I'm torn on this issue.

I take them to Dunfermline games but my local team is Livingston and they seem very active in the community which has me considering taking them to Almondvale as well as East End Park and seeing what takes.

As long as you give them the choice between the two clubs then whatever the result is will be fine imo. The lure of steak bridies could be the decisive winner here,whilst also keeping them away from the ever present threat of vegetarianism.

One of the guid c*** Brechin fans who goes to most matches has never lived in Brechin but supports them because his old man does and it gives him a good excuse to follow a grand wee club like ours when he lives in Edinburgh, as well as see his dad more I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived