New away kit?

an86

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Maybe that's cause they have generally been not very good.  You still haven't even touched on whether they've underachieved.  Explain why they should have achieved more.

English football. 

First national cup competition 1871

First national league competition 1888

Professionalism introduced 1885

Presently have over 40,000 associated clubs.

Clubs have won 28 european trophies over the decades(even though were prevented on two occasions to compete i)The English FA ii ) Hooligan ban.)

The biggest ,most extensive ,richest and a hge fan participation from a population of over 55 million.

Their club football has been highly successful.

With these facts the national team has under acheived.

One tournament final ( on home soil,playing all their games at one venue).

They have been littered with world class players, world class manager, coaches. 

So why haven't they won more as they should have?

One of the main reasons is the FA. They have been blighted with short sightedness and arrogance sine it's inception,with no lack of sheer snobbery.

When given the chance to appoint great managers ( like Brian Clough) they have always went with an establishment man, yes men.

They for years neglected the roots of the game when they were making hay.  Now clubs are investing in the youth side heavily, they continually splurge huge sums on foreign players, so strangling any prospects of a great prospect through.

I am only touching on the reasons for their under acheiving.

They are definitely an under acheiving footballing nation.

In regards to size of population, amount of clubs, and history, Scotland are remarkably similar.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

English football. 

First national cup competition 1871

First national league competition 1888

Professionalism introduced 1885

Presently have over 40,000 associated clubs.

Clubs have won 28 european trophies over the decades(even though were prevented on two occasions to compete i)The English FA ii ) Hooligan ban.)

The biggest ,most extensive ,richest and a hge fan participation from a population of over 55 million.

Their club football has been highly successful.

With these facts the national team has under acheived.

One tournament final ( on home soil,playing all their games at one venue).

They have been littered with world class players, world class manager, coaches. 

So why haven't they won more as they should have?

One of the main reasons is the FA. They have been blighted with short sightedness and arrogance sine it's inception,with no lack of sheer snobbery.

When given the chance to appoint great managers ( like Brian Clough) they have always went with an establishment man, yes men.

They for years neglected the roots of the game when they were making hay.  Now clubs are investing in the youth side heavily, they continually splurge huge sums on foreign players, so strangling any prospects of a great prospect through.

I am only touching on the reasons for their under acheiving.

They are definitely an under acheiving footballing nation.

In regards to size of population, amount of clubs, and history, Scotland are remarkably similar.

Again you have not even posted one single word suggesting why they should have achieved more.  

To help you people out I'll give you examples.  They went out in 2002 to Brazil.  Are Brazil better than England?  Yes.  So was that underachieving?  No.  

Went out in 2010 to Germany.  Are Germany better than England?  Yes.  So was that underachieving?  No.

Then you need to analyse the quality of their players compared to their peers like France and Spain and Germany and Italy.  The real question is why aren't they as good as these teams, that's a totally separate issue. They're not underachieving by not achieving what these countries have as these countries generally have had better teams right throughout the time period in question.

Hilarious how offended you are when someone criticises your big team though.

4 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Again you have not even posted one single word suggesting why they should have achieved more.  

To help you people out I'll give you examples.  They went out in 2002 to Brazil.  Are Brazil better than England?  Yes.  So was that underachieving?  No.  

Went out in 2010 to Germany.  Are Germany better than England?  Yes.  So was that underachieving?  No.

Then you need to analyse the quality of their players compared to their peers like France and Spain and Germany and Italy.  The real question is why aren't they as good as these teams, that's a totally separate issue. They're not underachieving by not achieving what these countries have as these countries generally have had better teams right throughout the time period in question.

Hilarious how offended you are when someone criticises your big team though.

You spectacularly miss the point ( deliberately I would summise) The years of neglect from footballing authorities have only compounded their failures. 

And where you find me being offended is beyond me. 

The criticism of a vast footballing nation like England is entirely justified. 

But, as provenby post after post by yourself, you just have an inherit hatred of anything English. That is totally irrational.

Remember, that one of your comments when McTominay chose Scotland was because it got right up England.

7 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

You spectacularly miss the point ( deliberately I would summise) The years of neglect from footballing authorities have only compounded their failures. 

But, as provenby post after post by yourself, you just have an inherit hatred of anything English. That is totally irrational.

Remember, that one of your comments when McTominay chose Scotland was because it got right up England.

i have family from liverpool and they probably hate england as much as scottish folk.

ENGLAND ARE WANKERS

6 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

i have family from liverpool and they probably hate england as much as scottish folk.

ENGLAND ARE WANKERS

Reveal hidden contents

I have family from Burnley who love England. Are all English wankers? No doubt there are a few Scots who hate Scotland. Are they any different? 

And not all Scots hate England. There is quite a swathe that don't. 

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

I have family from Burnley who love England. Are all English wankers? No doubt there are a few Scots who hate Scotland. Are they any different? 

whats this got to do with away kit mate FS, back on topic please

17 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Of course, entirety natural.  Same as if someone signed for Raith over Dunfermline that would be great as far as Raith fans go.  Read my posts champ you won't find a single anti English post, but we know you make anti Scottish ones.

You're missing the point champ.  You'll need to explain why it's 'failure' in the first place to get beat by Brazil or Germany before anyone could accept that represents underachieving.

9 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

think you need to chill out i'm having a laugh i know not every  english person is a w****r but the national team and their fans are WANKERS with their stupid brass band.

8 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

think you need to chill out i'm having a laugh i know not every  english person is a w****r but the national team and their fans are WANKERS with their stupid brass band.

If anyone needs to chill out it's you. Are all England fans wankers? I'm sure you only have to look at the Tartan Armyto see a few wankers.

5 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Maybe that's cause they have generally been not very good.  You still haven't even touched on whether they've underachieved.  Explain why they should have achieved more.

Because as a country, they have the conditions that should enable them to do better, because the other countries with similar conditions, do indeed do much better.

We seem to be at cross purposes.  You seem capable of viewing this only in terms of what given groups of players can be expected to achieve.  I'm talking about what a country achieves over a prolonged period.  

If too few top players are being produced, then that's part of the underachievement I'm pointing to.  You seem instead to see it as evidence of the phenomenon's absence.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because as a country, they have the conditions that should enable them to do better, because the other countries with similar conditions, do indeed do much better.

We seem to be at cross purposes.  You seem capable of viewing this only in terms of what given groups of players can be expected to achieve.  I'm talking about what a country achieves over a prolonged period.  

If too few top players are being produced, then that's part of the underachievement I'm pointing to.  You seem instead to see it as evidence of the phenomenon's absence.

If you don't or never have had a team capable of achieving a great deal then not achieving much can't possibly be considered underachieving.  It's a totally separate issue.  Just cause you say they should be good doesn't mean they're underachieving by not being good.  They generally have done about as well as you'd expect them to most of the times I can remember.

I think you and many others buy the myth peddled by their media that they're a top side underachieving when in reality they've just never really been a top side.  Asking why that is is a totally separate discussion to this one.

Case in point WC 2006.  Their media told us they were "easily the best of the European contingent" at the start of the tournament.  Four weeks later there's four European teams in the last four and none of them are England.

They then had an inquest on sky sports I watched it where they went through the four squads of the teams left in it and concluded between them they only had a total of three players who would get in the England team.  Personally I counted at least twenty five.  Totally deluded.

They have the same delusions of grandeur that lead to brexit.

3 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Case in point WC 2006.  Their media told us they were "easily the best of the European contingent" at the start of the tournament.  Four weeks later there's four European teams in the last four and none of them are England.

They then had an inquest on sky sports I watched it where they went through the four squads of the teams left in it and concluded between them they only had a total of three players who would get in the England team.  Personally I counted at least twenty five.  Totally deluded.

They have the same delusions of grandeur that lead to brexit.

England was better before the creation of the EU.   Wait and see how much they improve after brexit.  

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I think you and many others buy the myth peddled by their media that they're a top side underachieving when in reality they've just never really been a top side.  Asking why that is is a totally separate discussion to this one.

It's not a separate discussion simply because you deem it so I'm afraid.

I've not bought any media myth because I'm not particularly talking about a "side" as you'd have it.  Instead I'm talking about a country that underachieves at football.

That the concept seems to escape you is not my difficulty.

Archived