Over to Northern Ireland in 25 minutes?

The Danes and the Swedes did it, cracker bridge between Copenhagen and Malmo! Why can't we?
Hope the DUP get Mrs May to foot the bill in return for propping up her Govt. [emoji4]
Why can't we? Well the Danes and Swedes connected two major cities, not one city (if it connects to the road network around Belfast) to a difficult to reach, lowly populated area of Scotland with difficult terrain in which to connect the area to the existing motorway network or Glasgow itself. They also didn't have really deep water to build over like we would have with Beaufort's Dyke (think it's something like 150 metres deep in places?), which incidently is full of old munitions. Other than that though, no reason at all...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jamamafegan said:

It amazes me when people say they haven’t been to Ireland when it’s only 49 quid on a plane.

You can fly to a country in Europe that isn't a complete and utter bin for less than half that price. 

I'd put dualing the A9 to Scrabster (Inverness at least), A90 to Aberdeen, A1 to Newcastle, widening the M8 between Edinburgh & Glasgow as well as some sort of link roads from Stranraer to the M74 & M77 before this white elephant!

No surprises that the DUP don't want to build any bridges with the Republic of Ireland though.....

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
1 hour ago, Crusader Knight said:
The Danes and the Swedes did it, cracker bridge between Copenhagen and Malmo! Why can't we?
Hope the DUP get Mrs May to foot the bill in return for propping up her Govt. emoji4.png

Why can't we? Well the Danes and Swedes connected two major cities, not one city (if it connects to the road network around Belfast) to a difficult to reach, lowly populated area of Scotland with difficult terrain in which to connect the area to the existing motorway network or Glasgow itself. They also didn't have really deep water to build over like we would have with Beaufort's Dyke (think it's something like 150 metres deep in places?), which incidently is full of old munitions. Other than that though, no reason at all...

You'd have thought they could just drop a big pipe big enough to drive through.

italian+job.jpg

1 hour ago, sjc said:

I'd put dualing the A9 to Scrabster (Inverness at least), A90 to Aberdeen, A1 to Newcastle, widening the M8 between Edinburgh & Glasgow as well as some sort of link roads from Stranraer to the M74 & M77 before this white elephant!

No surprises that the DUP don't want to build any bridges with the Republic of Ireland though.....

All the above need done before even thinking about a bridge.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

I'd add a railway bridge over the Dornoch Firth to that list, would take an hour off the Inverness to Wick train. Probably cost a few million.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

It amazes me when people say they haven’t been to Ireland when it’s only 49 quid on a plane.

I've never been inside my wheelie bin either, it's only about 20 yards away and it'd be 49 quid cheaper than that.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness. Horses running through council estates. Toothless simpletons. People with eyebrows on their cheeks. Badly tarmacked drives, in this country. Men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings. Lots of rocks, and, uh, Beamish. I think people are saying: “Yes, there’s more to Ireland than this”. Good slogan for the tourist board: “There’s more to Oi-reland, DAN DIS.”.

Actually I quite like the idea of a bridge from Northern Ireland to Mull of Kintyre.

"Hey this is great.  No more crappy ferry that takes two long hours to get to Scotland.  Just get in the car and ten minutes later, I'm in Scotland.  Fantastic.  By the way which way is it to Ibrox?"

"That's the road to Campbeltown, just keep going and you'll get there in four hours."

4 hours ago, Crusader Knight said:

Because Denmark and Sweden tend to have stable governments that do things properly.

f**k subsidising wanks to come over at the weekend to fill up Ibrox and Parkhead

Archived