Over to Northern Ireland in 25 minutes?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I tried to go there once and they closed the doors on me.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:52, Richey Edwards said:

I wouldn't visit Northern Ireland if you paid me £20billion. 

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The second post was a joke. Anyway, my real name is James so I doubt I would be welcome.

Really? Glad you cleared that up.

Aye, no Jameses have ever been inside the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall...

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Isn't Elon Musk a con artist?

He's proven he can send a heavy payload rocket into space for about 10% of the cost of his nearest competitor, so I'd say not. No idea what will come of Hyperloop and his Boring Company, but he usually comes up with the goods.

He's proven he can send a heavy payload rocket into space for about 10% of the cost of his nearest competitor, so I'd say not. No idea what will come of Hyperloop and his Boring Company, but he usually comes up with the goods.
But it's all done by government subsidy isn't it?

15 minutes ago, nsr said:
21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

But it's all done by government subsidy isn't it?

He gets a lot of government contracts if that's what you mean. Think most of the development costs were self funded, but I don't see how that's relevant. His system works and is much cheaper than his competitors, wherever the money came from. NASA's projected heavy lift rocket programme is expected to cost over $1 Billion per launch. He can do it for under $100 million with proven technology.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He gets a lot of government contracts if that's what you mean. Think most of the development costs were self funded, but I don't see how that's relevant. His system works and is much cheaper than his competitors, wherever the money came from. NASA's projected heavy lift rocket programme is projected to cost over $1 Billion per launch. He can do it for under $100 million with proven technology.

I've heard people say it's all smoke and mirrors, but I don't know enough to say either way. My default setting is to be suspicious of anyone who's hero-worshipped to the extent he seems to be.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

See Derry City built a new stand.

Yep, Derry City and Strabane Council built it to be correct.

It was supposedly ready to rock last night verse Dundalk if it wasn't for the snow.

The new stand is a bigger version of what Cove Rangers have got on the go 3/4 G community pitch aswell.

It has big control room and plenty of media space, so they can play their European games at home if they ever go on a run. 

19 minutes ago, nsr said:

I've heard people say it's all smoke and mirrors, but I don't know enough to say either way. My default setting is to be suspicious of anyone who's hero-worshipped to the extent he seems to be.

I think you'd have to be a flat earther to think he hasn't revolutionised the Space Industry. If you haven't seen his first test launch of Falcon Heavy it's worth a watch. The cheering is annoying but it's the autonomous recovery of the parts that has never been done before and accounts for most of the cost savings.

6 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

Yep, Derry City and Strabane Council built it to be correct.

It was supposedly ready to rock last night verse Dundalk if it wasn't for the snow.

The new stand is a bigger version of what Cove Rangers have got on the go 3/4 G community pitch aswell.

The new stand has big control room and plenty of media space, so they can play their European games at home if they ever go on a run. 

Fair play to whoever came up with money. The redevelopment story only been going about 25 years. Or is it longer?

21 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Fair play to whoever came up with money. The redevelopment story only been going about 25 years. Or is it longer?

Think it was the public purse, £7 million or abouts.

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/derry-city/video-behind-the-scenes-look-at-new-brandywell-stadium-1-8393598

The New stand is called The Mark Farren, and the stadium they might end up calling it The Ryan McBride.  It's the same Brandywell site though without the dog track around it.   

https://www.derryjournal.com/image-gallery/in-pictures-14-sneak-peek-photos-from-behind-the-scenes-at-the-new-brandywell-stadium-1-8394488/8394381

Archived