Scott McTominay

20 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Cairney and Fleck too. 

In central defence, I'm hoping that Hendry, Lindsay and Souttar will make the grade. 

Souttar is definitely the closest to being ready, Hendry has looked decent so far for Celtic but still has work to do IMHO.  Hopefully for Scotland they can develop soon as the current CB crop is all the other side of 30 (and some aren't that great) so it's definitely Scotland's weak spot at the moment.  Also good to see Callum Paterson playing well for Cardiff, he's got a bright future at RB as well.  

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any idea how many players have played for one senior UK nation and then gone on to change over to another? 

Can't be very many and seems pretty taboo once you're past the youth teams. Assume he'll be capped in the upcoming friendlies 

It definitely won't happen.

There's a gentleman's agreement between the four home nations put in place to more or less safeguard this from happening. Not because it can't happen - technically, it can. There's no actual law forbidding it as all four home nations are the same country but because in exploiting this loophole, it would give FIFA a ready made excuse to start proceedings for all four home nations to be made to compete as the United Kingdom.

Which nobody wants.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There's a gentleman's agreement between the four home nations put in place to more or less safeguard this from happening. Not because it can't happen - technically, it can. There's no actual law forbidding it as all four home nations are the same country but because in exploiting this loophole, it would give FIFA a ready made excuse to start proceedings for all four home nations to be made to compete as the United Kingdom.

Which nobody wants.

The "gentleman's agreement" (which is actually enshrined in FIFA's rules for eligibility) has no relevance here at all.  It applies to a theoretical case where a player born in one home nation could choose to play for any other home nation purely on the basis of having a British passport, for example Scotland trying to call up Dominic Solanke or someone like that.  McTominay is eligible to play for England on account of him being born there, so he could still opt to move across until he is capped in a competitive match.

39 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Cairney and Fleck too. 

In central defence, I'm hoping that Hendry, Lindsay and Souttar will make the grade. 

I'd still be inclined to throw Stevie Mallan into the central mids that could come good mixer as well.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The "gentleman's agreement" (which is actually enshrined in FIFA's rules for eligibility) has no relevance here at all.  It applies to a theoretical case where a player born in one home nation could choose to play for any other home nation purely on the basis of having a British passport, for example Scotland trying to call up Dominic Solanke or someone like that.  McTominay is eligible to play for England on account of him being born there, so he could still opt to move across until he is capped in a competitive match.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Would surely be a bit of a taboo though, no? I know Diego Costa did similar a few years ago and it caused all sorts of debate.

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Which nobody wants.

The same country? Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure Scotland is a different country to Wales and England. You're not suggesting we're a region are you? 

Probably the closest to have played for both would be James Morrison? Think he played for England under-21s and was being tipped for a full call up at one point? In the near future of course we might have Caulker in our squad having been capped (I think? Once, in a friendly) for England.

I’m sure Dominic Matteo was an unused sub in a qualifier for England and then later got capped for Scotland. He’s probably the only player on a team sheet in competitive matches for two countries

31 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Probably the closest to have played for both would be James Morrison? Think he played for England under-21s and was being tipped for a full call up at one point? In the near future of course we might have Caulker in our squad having been capped (I think? Once, in a friendly) for England.

Similarly, Matt Phillips was capped by England U19s and U20s before switching allegiance to Scotland.

Jay McEveley also played for England U20s and U21s before being capped by Levein.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Guest DAVIDB69

Haven’t seen that much of this lad , but I suspect he is just finding his feet at club level , never mind being ready for full international football based on a few games

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

People on here blowing their loads over a player who has about 12 first team games to his name as if he is the Scottish Iniesta or Xavi. You gotta laugh.

I don't think anyone is blowing their load or comparing him to Xavi or Iniesta, they are just pleased that a promising young player that has performed well in high profile games for a big club has decided to play for Scotland. It's one more option than Scotland had before.