The lost art of reading in the toilet

With the widespread use of mobile phones it appears that reading books in the lavatory has gone the way of common sense and the dodo.

I read my Kindle in the lavatory but that is not an actual paper book so might not count.

I remember times when you could go to someones house and there would be a selection of books in the toilet. Usually a big hardback book about gardening or cars or some other mild and inoffensive subject. 

Do you read in the toilet?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the widespread use of mobile phones it appears that reading books in the lavatory has gone the way of common sense and the dodo.
I read my Kindle in the lavatory but that is not an actual paper book so might not count.
I remember times when you could go to someones house and there would be a selection of books in the toilet. Usually a big hardback book about gardening or cars or some other mild and inoffensive subject. 
Do you read in the toilet?

^^^ one with middle class parents found.

I have a shelf in my hall toilet that has loads of reading material ranging from Oor Wullies/The Broons annuals to Viz Annuals to novels for that longer shite. My girls have their own en-suite and the Mrs uses ours for her super-quick shites. Its basically my fortress of solitude amongst a house of women. The only person that goes in is the cat as he knows he can have a kip undisturbed.

I never take my phone in as that would ruin the ambience.

1 minute ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I have a shelf in my hall toilet that has loads of reading material ranging from Oor Wullies/The Broons annuals to Viz Annuals to novels for that longer shite.

Oor Wullie, The Broons and Viz are cracking toilet reads tbh. I used to have a pile of them in the upstairs bathroom.

Yup, usually read the last football programme on the cludgey. Leaving myself open to ridicule, in the downstairs bog I've got Janes Fighting ships of WW1 and WW2 for some light reading. Got the missus into reading on the bog too, not so much the Fighting Ships though, or so she says. Read all sorts over the years including viz (favourite bog read probably).

My love of literature stems from a habit of reading while in the meditation room. When I was a kid, I would often have to prise myself off the seat if the call happened to come in the middle of a particularly good Secret Seven adventure.  Currently, I have a Calvin & Hobbes collection in there but it's probably time to rotate that out.

The modern day art of reading on the toilet is the ones where you realise you're going to be there a while not long after you've sat down. You have no mobile/kindle or any books or reading material. That's when the backs of shampoo bottles and tins of deodorant and whatever other toiletries are within arms reach become interesting 

Phone is useful for reading in the office facilities, getting up from your desk and picking up a book or paper and walking away where everyone know you are going would be weird.

But at home the latest copy of When Saturday Comes does a week or so a month, and usually a book is lying in reserve.

I used to get a Viz Annual for Christmas, which stayed in the bog for a year until the next Viz Annual came. Then my family started experimenting and I got a QI album (even though, I rarely or never watch that’s TV Programme), a Private Eye Annual (again, I never buy the magazine) and a Shoot Annual (ditto). So basically they seemed to be taking the piss. Then smart phones appeared and it was goodbye books.

I recall getting a League of Gentlemen book which had a photo of skin from a body - of course the cock and balls were the spine of the book. It was quality bog reading material. Crap Towns books were also good.

Shitting while reading my smartphone right at this moment. The thing must be covered in germs.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not in 1998 it wasn't...

<pedant>

It could have been for the last couple of months of 1998. Annuals always come out well before Christmas so they can be given as presents and have the following year on the cover.

</pedant>

3 minutes ago, GordonD said:

<pedant>

It could have been for the last couple of months of 1998. Annuals always come out well before Christmas so they can be given as presents and have the following year on the cover.

</pedant>

^^^Another pedant

(And if the annual was given as a Christmas present, it would only have been for the last week of 1998, not "the last couple of months"...)

Archived