The Best from the West vs Celtic. 11th March

22 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I really hope Halliday starts & Forrest takes him for a jog.

John and Murphy will start.

Hopefully Candieas and Tav have as much success down Celtics left as they did in the last game.

Morelos has to start. Ok he misses chances but he gets into these positions. Nobody missed more than McCoist but few would leave him out these games.

Cummings coming on against a cumbersome tiring Celtic defence with 20 minutes to go if needed is a great option 

My only fear is Goss. He looks great when on the ball but we all know the likes of Brown won’t give him time to stroll around the park and pick passes out. He needs to be right up for this game 

Celtic are favourites of course but it is quite sometime since I’ve genuinely looked forward to one of these games . 

I think it will be a scoring draw but hoping for a squeaky bum time narrow win

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our weakness defensively is most likely going to be the right flank. People may see Lustig being out as a blessing in disguise but we may possibly have to throw in Gamboa or Ralson in with next to no game time. For that reason I would rather go with a back 3 with Forrest possibly playing a bit further back but given how well he has been playing off the front I hope it wouldn't reduce his attacking threat too much.

John and Murphy will start.
Hopefully Candieas and Tav have as much success down Celtics left as they did in the last game.
Morelos has to start. Ok he misses chances but he gets into these positions. Nobody missed more than McCoist but few would leave him out these games.
Cummings coming on against a cumbersome tiring Celtic defence with 20 minutes to go if needed is a great option 
My only fear is Goss. He looks great when on the ball but we all know the likes of Brown won’t give him time to stroll around the park and pick passes out. He needs to be right up for this game 
Celtic are favourites of course but it is quite sometime since I’ve genuinely looked forward to one of these games . 
I think it will be a scoring draw but hoping for a squeaky bum time narrow win

The starting lineups for both teams will be well debated.
Morelos or Cummings, the LB position with fitness concerns, and in the middle of the park Goss, Docherty, Holt or stick with Windass, or does Murty push him out wide?

Does Rodgers start with 2 up front in Dembele and Edouard (I personally would, going on previous outings), does he opt for 3 CB's with wingbacks? Does Sinclair or McGregor start? I'd have Rogic behind the strikers.

Both squads can adapt personnel depending on how wide or central the opposition sets up.

Very interesting tactically, even before a balls in kicked in earnest.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Our weakness defensively is most likely going to be the right flank. People may see Lustig being out as a blessing in disguise but we may possibly have to throw in Gamboa or Ralson in with next to no game time. For that reason I would rather go with a back 3 with Forrest possibly playing a bit further back but given how well he has been playing off the front I hope it wouldn't reduce his attacking threat too much.

Yeah, the question for you is 3 at the back or 4? Not many options at RB (Gamboa?) so 3 might be safer. However Forrest will be less effective going forward and the fullbacks could be doubled up on the wings.

21 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Is it just me that thinks the thread title is a veiled reference to a recent weather phenomenon/inappropriate dig at Celtic?

Kincy??

Wouldn’t be the first time our patter got used by others.

4 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Wouldn’t be the first time our patter got used by others.

Not sure I would claim it tbh. Latest in a long line of cheap nasty digs between the arse cheeks. Unless @The_Kincardine can clarify that his intention was not a "beast from the east" reference.

Pretty grubby really. Expect better from a man so often on his high horse. 

A fair bit of confidence for this game amongst the bears, I can't really see us beating the invincibles this time. 2  - 2 with Windass and Morelos on the scoresheet.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Not sure I would claim it tbh. Latest in a long line of cheap nasty digs between the arse cheeks. Unless @The_Kincardine can clarify that his intention was not a "beast from the east" reference.

Pretty grubby really. Expect better from a man so often on his high horse. 

Celtic level of paranoia if you think it's anything other than a reference to the weather.  Still, shows who your big team is.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Celtic level of paranoia if you think it's anything other than a reference to the weather.  Still, shows who your big team is.

Don't think so. Why would you make a thread title alluding to "beast" when Celtic are involved? Pretty sneaky/snidy but at least stand behind your patter. 

10 minutes ago, Amato72 said:

How much are they paying to watch The Best from the West?

Im going again but yet to pay for my ticket. It was the best part of 40 quid earlier on in the season so can’t see it being any different this time.

Expect/hope team to be

DDV
Ajer Jozo Compper
Forrest Brown Ntcham Tierney
Mcgregor
Dembele Edouard

Bench of Bain, Hendry, Kouassi, Rogic, Roberts, Sinclair, Musonda

Would be happy enough with that team. Plenty of creativity on the bench as well.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Looks like Jamie Murphy could play on Sunday.  Good news.  We're still light in midfield, though.

We've got as close to a full strength team as we possibly could. Dorrans might be fit enough to make the bench as well.

I'm actually more nervous about this one than I've been for a long time.  I think because we're going into it in a decent run of form and there is actually a bit of hope that we can actually win it.

Celtic are, quite rightly, still favourites to win it.

Apart from some hysterical mutterings from ex players/managers/cleaners in the press, there really hasn't been too much noise coming from Ibrox other than the usual meaningless soundbites that you get in the run up to (there is no) Old Firm games.

The Banter Years fan lurking at the back of my brain keeps reminding me of all the times during the 9IAR era that Celtic would rock up full of piss and vinegar and telling us (via the same hysterical ex-players/managers/cleaners) that this was definitely, positively the game that they'd show us that they were a force to be reckoned with and we'd inevitably skelp them 3-0.

tl:dr - f**k knows whats going to happen. 

47 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm actually more nervous about this one than I've been for a long time.  I think because we're going into it in a decent run of form and there is actually a bit of hope that we can actually win it.

Celtic are, quite rightly, still favourites to win it.

Apart from some hysterical mutterings from ex players/managers/cleaners in the press, there really hasn't been too much noise coming from Ibrox other than the usual meaningless soundbites that you get in the run up to (there is no) Old Firm games.

The Banter Years fan lurking at the back of my brain keeps reminding me of all the times during the 9IAR era that Celtic would rock up full of piss and vinegar and telling us (via the same hysterical ex-players/managers/cleaners) that this was definitely, positively the game that they'd show us that they were a force to be reckoned with and we'd inevitably skelp them 3-0.

tl:dr - f**k knows whats going to happen. 

I Wouldnt be too surprised it being a sh*tfest 0-0 again. Both sets of fans will see it as a missed opportunity but both managers would be quietly happy I would say.

Archived