Ross County's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be County's next permanent manager?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Obviously the McGhee shouts are for teh LOLs but does he not still have a 6 game ban outstanding up here anyway?

As it is he’s currently in the process of getting Barnet relegated as “Head of Technical”. I think he lasted about half a dozen games as actual manager before being shunted to a different role: https://www.barnetfc.com/news/2018/january/statement-from-barnet-football-club/

Edit: I lie, he lasted 11 games...

5a9914d960845_ScreenShot2018-03-02at09_08_53.png.d14d2b24325856741af0289078c9fb97.png

Mark McGhee and Owen Coyle are done as managers.  Hopefully the pally Scottish press will not do what I fully expect them to do and lament how badly they've been treated.  Owen Coyle seems like a thoroughly nice bloke, but he's not a good manager.  As County have found out.  Uncle Roy fell for the old pals act (old nephews act?) and look what happened.  

'It could have been Steve Clarke,' will be my over-riding feeling of the Coyle era.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Mark McGhee and Owen Coyle are done as managers.  Hopefully the pally Scottish press will not do what I fully expect them to do and lament how badly they've been treated.  Owen Coyle seems like a thoroughly nice bloke, but he's not a good manager.  As County have found out.  Uncle Roy fell for the old pals act (old nephews act?) and look what happened.  

'It could have been Steve Clarke,' will be my over-riding feeling of the Coyle era.

I've not read or heard any commentary so far but my feeling is the narrative will be more likely to be that County shouldn't have sacked McIntyre and 'Doddsy' in the first place. Which to me entirely misreads the situation. It was clear there wasn't a lot of faith in McIntyre going back to last season.

Getting shot of him when County did was a fair enough decision if he didn't have the backing of the owner and on the face of things Coyle seemed like a decent enough appointment, I mentioned over in our thread the other day but the rumour was that Coyle was our preferred choice to replace McGhee but it fell through and the upshot was Robinson got the job permanently. Granted Coyle was a risk like any appointment but when you look at the clubs he's managed it's difficult not to feel that he should have been able to hold his own up here. For whatever reason it just doesn't seem to have worked out.

It's interesting to read that Coyle's talking about his family still being based down south as it was a similar situation with us and McGhee. His family was/is based in Brighton and apparently he spent a fair amount of time commuting with McFadden supposedly having been left to take a lot of the training. Going by the season we ended up having, whatever the arrangement it wasn't conducive to picking up results.

If McIntyre had been allowed to stay until now we might be a handful of points better off, at best, IMO.  With a worse squad on paper.  Coyle is a diddy but he has brought in good enough players to keep County up.  They just need to be coached properly now.  I have faith that Kettlewell can do that.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've not read or heard any commentary so far but my feeling is the narrative will be more likely to be that County shouldn't have sacked McIntyre and 'Doddsy' in the first place. Which to me entirely misreads the situation. It was clear there wasn't a lot of faith in McIntyre going back to last season.

Getting shot of him when County did was a fair enough decision if he didn't have the backing of the owner and on the face of things Coyle seemed like a decent enough appointment, I mentioned over in our thread the other day but the rumour was that Coyle was our preferred choice to replace McGhee but it fell through and the upshot was Robinson got the job permanently. Granted Coyle was a risk like any appointment but when you look at the clubs he's managed it's difficult not to feel that he should have been able to hold his own up here. For whatever reason it just doesn't seem to have worked out.

It's interesting to read that Coyle's talking about his family still being based down south as it was a similar situation with us and McGhee. His family was/is based in Brighton and apparently he spent a fair amount of time commuting with McFadden supposedly having been left to take a lot of the training. Going by the season we ended up having, whatever the arrangement it wasn't conducive to picking up results.

Worth remembering Coyle has never managed in the Scottish top flight before, his success with us was failing to get promoted and reaching a few semi-finals. 

I'm not downplaying how he turned us around, before anyone starts, but we were a club spending a top two/three budget in that league and all he had to do to be successful at us was better than eighth place finish of the previous season 

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Did Kilmarnock not have an 'in' with Steve Clarke?  Friends or related to someone on the board or something?
Doubt we'd ever have got him.

Similarly, we had an 'in' with Coyle as I'm sure he and Roy were pally before.
So it was never going to be a choice between the two.

I might be totally misinterpreting events, but it makes me feel better.

7 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

Did Kilmarnock not have an 'in' with Steve Clarke?  Friends or related to someone on the board or something?

Aye, the whole "we could have had Steve Clarke" narrative I've seen on forums from various supporters of various clubs not only wildly overstates their own importance but completely misses the point that Clarke's only at Killie because he wants to be at Killie.

I've no idea as to his personal circumstances but I can't imagine someone who has had senior coaching and management positions at Chelsea, Liverpool, West Ham, Newcastle, WBA, Reading and Aston Villa is managing a mid-table Scottish Premiership club because he needs the work (no offence to Killie).

46 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

That's probably fair.  I wish we had an "in" with somebody good, though.

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Obviously the McGhee shouts are for teh LOLs but does he not still have a 6 game ban outstanding up here anyway?

As it is he’s currently in the process of getting Barnet relegated as “Head of Technical”. I think he lasted about half a dozen games as actual manager before being shunted to a different role: https://www.barnetfc.com/news/2018/january/statement-from-barnet-football-club/

Am I the only person OCD enough that my mind screams when I hear the phrase "Head of Technical". Technical is an adjective. It's not a noun! Head of Technical WHAT? Technical development? Technical skills? Technical drawing? Technical malfunctions? "Head of Technical" makes no sense! It's an Armando Ianucci joke brought into real life!

(Okay, I do know that 'Technical' as a noun can mean an SUV modified by an African warlord so that there's a mounted machine gun poking out the back, and, while it would certainly be a useful tool for Barnet FC's forthcoming relegation battle, I'm not entirely sure that it's deployment would be within the spirit of the rules of the English Football League, and I'm very sure that Mark McGhee should never be in charge of one of those things).

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

Am I the only person OCD enough that my mind screams when I hear the phrase "Head of Technical". Technical is an adjective. It's not a noun! Head of Technical WHAT? Technical development? Technical skills? Technical drawing? Technical malfunctions? "Head of Technical" makes no sense! It's an Armando Ianucci joke brought into real life!

(Okay, I do know that 'Technical' as a noun can mean an SUV modified by an African warlord so that there's a modified machine gun poking out the back, and, while it would certainly be a useful tool for Barnet FC's forthcoming relegation battle, I'm not entirely sure that it's deployment would be within the spirit of the rules of the English Football League, and I'm very sure that Mark McGhee should never be in charge of one of those things).

If he did have one of those, any ideas where he should aim it?

You are one thick bassa if you can't detect gooseys misplaced irony.
The irony is a figment of your vivid imagination, nothing in the original post to suggest it you utter cockwomble.

49 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

(Okay, I do know that 'Technical' as a noun can mean an SUV modified by an African warlord so that there's a mounted machine gun poking out the back, and, while it would certainly be a useful tool for Barnet FC's forthcoming relegation battle, I'm not entirely sure that it's deployment would be within the spirit of the rules of the English Football League, and I'm very sure that Mark McGhee should never be in charge of one of those things).

Look on the bright side. At least he'll never be able to medal at the Olympics.

43 minutes ago, AllyM said:

But surely his name is written all over it?

It would be a fantastic appointment for County but would you leave a team heading to the Premiership next season. for a team which has struggled all season  long, I always thought of County being a very functional and capable side at  Premiership level, what has been glaringly obvious this season is just how crucial the part Liam Boyce played in County's relative success, his departure last summer has played a massive part in the downturn in County's fortunes this season.

Archived