West Region

Brig O'Lea

It's the referees who insist on goalies changing because their kit clashes with the ref which cracks me up. As if the ref might think "he caught that ball, or was it actually me ?" ????
Several times we've had refs do that, they seem to think that the keeper should change when the ref should have turned up with a choice of tops.

We were at Glenafton a few years ago and both keepers had similar kits and the ref wanted one of them changed. Brian McGarrity told him "there's fkn no chance I'm going up for a corner." [emoji23]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit of a long shot but what do folks think is the most likely game to go ahead next week? How are the parks at the likes of Troon and Whitletts? Two i’ve still to check off my list if either are at home?
If the rise in temperature that is forecast for the next few days does happen then Petershill v Cambuslang should be fine.

Bit of a long shot but what do folks think is the most likely game to go ahead next week? How are the parks at the likes of Troon and Whitletts? Two i’ve still to check off my list if either are at home?

Both games have a great chance of going ahead I would say. Virtually no snow down this way and +C temperatures all week.

On 3/4/2018 at 13:03, peasy23 said:

Several times we've had refs do that, they seem to think that the keeper should change when the ref should have turned up with a choice of tops.

We were at Glenafton a few years ago and both keepers had similar kits and the ref wanted one of them changed. Brian McGarrity told him "there's fkn no chance I'm going up for a corner." emoji23.png

It's the inconstistency, it's becoming a joke and a nightmare for the kit man.  We played Port Glasgow the other week who were in all dark blue, top, shorts and socks with a keeper in all black, top, shorts and socks.  As the light faded you weren't sure who was saving the shot!  Then on the other hand earlier this season at Lesmahagow, the referee decides our white socks with black tops clash with the Gow's socks as shown below. Joke.

soc2.jpg

On 03/03/2018 at 13:18, Hillonearth said:

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier on when they mentioned the refs we get are the ones tracked for promotion to the SPFL - as a result they're applying professional standards to a semi-pro game, where many pitches due to unavailability of manpower and resources perhaps understandably aren't always maintained to SPFL standards.

They are making the "correct" decision a lot of the time in terms of the training and direction they've had - in at least some cases "correct" doesn't equate to "right" unfortunately.

Spot on - this was the point I was trying to make earlier.

Referees at Junior level are official (on the list of referee's) SFA referees and are 9/10 times on their way to senior football (not all will make it) and therefore MUST treat the junior game like a senior game whereas your typical Amateur referee has either just started and hasn't had the opportunity to progress yet or has been doing it for years with no intention/ability to progress through the ranks.

1 minute ago, boulderdomb said:

Spot on - this was the point I was trying to make earlier.

Referees at Junior level are official (on the list of referee's) SFA referees and are 9/10 times on their way to senior football (not all will make it) and therefore MUST treat the junior game like a senior game whereas your typical Amateur referee has either just started and hasn't had the opportunity to progress yet or has been doing it for years with no intention/ability to progress through the ranks.

They are still required to adhere to the laws of the game as laid down by IFAB. The only dispensation that lower levels games are afforded is in relation to things like corner flags etc. 

1 minute ago, GLESGABOY said:

They are still required to adhere to the laws of the game as laid down by IFAB. The only dispensation that lower levels games are afforded is in relation to things like corner flags etc. 

I understand although that was not the point I was making - your typical amateur referee either has no experience inspecting pitches and making a decision or has no interest and wants his/her fee.

1 minute ago, boulderdomb said:

I understand although that was not the point I was making - your typical amateur referee either has no experience inspecting pitches and making a decision or has no interest and wants his/her fee.

The crap that surrounds games being called off is exacerbated by "experts" that don`t understand even the basic laws of the game. If I had  a pound for every time I have heard, "it was only a couple of puddles" or "it was only hard across the byline and the warm up would have softened it up" etc etc. It`s either 100% playable at the time of inspection or it isn`t. The refs already take shite from everyone and their Brother, do you really think that they are going to run the risk of gambling with a playing surface that isn`t 100% (regardless of the reason) and there then follows an event that occurs during the game as a direct result of the playing surface in question . How do you think that story ends?

23 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

The crap that surrounds games being called off is exacerbated by "experts" that don`t understand even the basic laws of the game. If I had  a pound for every time I have heard, "it was only a couple of puddles" or "it was only hard across the byline and the warm up would have softened it up" etc etc. It`s either 100% playable at the time of inspection or it isn`t. The refs already take shite from everyone and their Brother, do you really think that they are going to run the risk of gambling with a playing surface that isn`t 100% (regardless of the reason) and there then follows an event that occurs during the game as a direct result of the playing surface in question . How do you think that story ends?

I'm a referee myself which is where I am taking my examples from. The best one is when a spectator tells you the pitch will "take a stud so should be playable".

If it takes a stud then game on ......

And there's the thing. You will often see games played on rock hard dustbowls at the end of the season that definitely won't "take a stud", yet games are put off in the winter on pitches that are hard rather than icy.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

And there's the thing. You will often see games played on rock hard dustbowls at the end of the season that definitely won't "take a stud", yet games are put off in the winter on pitches that are hard rather than icy.

The explanation given to me by a referee  was that a hard surface in the summer is flat whereas in the winter it is more likely to be hard but rutted thus being more dangerousfor players if they land on the ground. 

Fair enough

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:09, redstarbenhar said:

What criteria does a referee apply when deciding whether a pitch is “playable” ?

1) is there an Old Firm game on TV I'd rather be watching?

2) is there a Scotland-England rugby match on TV I'd rather be watching?

On 05/03/2018 at 17:51, LeedsPhil said:

1) is there an Old Firm game on TV I'd rather be watching?

2) is there a Scotland-England rugby match on TV I'd rather be watching?

Or he could get abuse non stop for 90 odd minutes then a thread started on pnb about how much of a disgrace he is . All that for around the 40 quid mark.  No brainer

Archived