Championship team of the season

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Hes a good player at this level but I reckon incredible is pushing it a wee bit far.

If you're talking about that one performance then incredible is possibly understating it a little bit,  one of the best performances against us at this level that I can think of, it's up there with a Richard Offiong performance against us nearly a decade ago. 

The goalkeeping position is the trickiest to decide. The standard in this league isn't that great.

I know Samson doesn't have a great reputation and is prone to the odd howler but I genuinely wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in this league. Even for his penalty save alone v United which is absolutely massive looking back to it.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Hes a good player at this level but I reckon incredible is pushing it a wee bit far.

In discussing that individual performance, no, no it's not. As Grant says he was absolutely sensational that day. Completely unplayable. He was helped by the likes of Kane and Stirling probably having their best games in a Queens shirt too but Dobbie ran Dunfermline ragged. Scored three, made two, could have had three or four more.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

If you're talking about that one performance then incredible is possibly understating it a little bit,  one of the best performances against us at this level that I can think of, it's up there with a Richard Offiong performance against us nearly a decade ago. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

In discussing that individual performance, no, no it's not. As Grant says he was absolutely sensational that day. Completely unplayable. He was helped by the likes of Kane and Stirling probably having their best games in a Queens shirt too but Dobbie ran Dunfermline ragged. Scored three, made two, could have had three or four more.

He was playing against dunfermline in the Scottish championship for fecks sake.  Superlatives like incredible should be kept for players at the top level of the game. I used to watch stainrod rip the pish in this league every week and dobbie isnt fit to lace his boots. I would never have said any of his performances were incredible or that he was an incredible player though.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was playing against dunfermline in the Scottish championship for fecks sake.  Superlatives like incredible should be kept for players at the top level of the game. I used to watch stainrod rip the pish in this league every week and dobbie isnt fit to lace his boots. I would never have said any of his performances were incredible or that he was an incredible player though.

Then that's you being semantic with your dictionary. All things have to be kept in context.

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is true actually. Dobbie did nothing at all of note in our first two meetings, although effectively won the third by hassling Halkett into the error then should have scored himself but hit the bar and Kane tapped in the rebound.

Still, I can acknowledge Livi fans havent seen a lot from him. He is still obviously a better shout for Team of the Season than Hardie is.

Got to agree 100%. He’s a fantastic player no doubting that but he’s been pretty poor when livi have played queens 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We watch a level of football where it is perfectly possible to sit back and admire a player's performance without the need to contextualise it. Without any caveat some of the best individual performances I've seen at East End for and against us have been at this level (including the old First Division). There are plenty of guys who have had the talent that's easily the equal of those in the top level but for whatever reason can't reproduce it every week. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Did someone genuinely claim Stainrod was a better player than Dobbie? :lol: 

Are you having a laugh here. Stephen Dobbie  a guy who has never played higher than the English championship and stainrod a guy who was a regular with the team who were 5th in the top flight.  Unlucky tonot get an england cap and a player who would've signed for Barcelona if venables hadn' been sacked at the wrong time. Dobbie has been jettisoned by every club that got promoted to the English top flight as they knew he wasn' good enough. Stainrod on the other hand was a different level of player entirely.

3 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I'd say dobbie would probably make an all time championship side never mind just this season. stainrod would too. can't remember if latapy played in the championship but if so he would too.

I'm not so sure to be honest. There's been some top strikers in this league over the decades. Latapy played with hibs and us. Sauzee and latapy would be hard to beat for your centre mid. You'e then got the likes of stainrod, Coyle, Kenny Miller, Stevie crawford etc  all of whom have played either in the English top flight or international football.

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Are you having a laugh here. Stephen Dobbie  a guy who has never played higher than the English championship and stainrod a guy who was a regular with the team who were 5th in the top flight.  Unlucky tonot get an england cap and a player who would've signed for Barcelona if venables hadn' been sacked at the wrong time. Dobbie has been jettisoned by every club that got promoted to the English top flight as they knew he wasn' good enough. Stainrod on the other hand was a different level of player entirely.

I'm sorry for being a pedant here, but Dobbie has nine English Premier League appearances. It might not be a lot, but he has played at that level.

56 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

9 before he got found out and loaned back to the championship. Stainrod was a different class altogether. How many fa cup finals did Dobbie play in?

Dobbie's dad is bigger than Stainrod's dad.

Jonathan Greening has a Champions League winners medal.

I'm far too young to have seen Stainrod play - I was merely pointing out that Dobbie has played English Premier League football, albeit not very much of it. 

Archived