• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Hawk said:

Alexander,

Smith, O'Ware, Halkett, Eckersley.

Magennis, McGinn, Harkins, Morgan.

Sir Stephen, Reilly.

Not far away. I imagine Davis should be ahead of O'Ware but I havent actually seen him play this season. 

Not really a fan of Eckersley at left back either but not sure who should get it. Not sure there is actually a better one than Jordan Marshall but on the basis of avoiding my own club possibly Iredale? 

Might have Billy King ahead of Magennis.

The best performances against Dunfermline this season came from Dobbie, Stirling and Kane. Declan Gallagher has been the best Livingston defender when we've played them. 

The likes of Byrne and Reilly have been absolutely anonymous while Morgan hasn't reached any great heights, I have though only seen them 2/3 times out of a season on nearly 30 games. 

I haven't seen us play Inverness  though. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

The best performances against Dunfermline this season came from Dobbie, Stirling and Kane. Declan Gallagher has been the best Livingston defender when we've played them. 

The likes of Byrne and Reilly have been absolutely anonymous while Morgan hasn't reached any great heights, I have though only seen them 2/3 times out of a season on nearly 30 games. 

I haven't seen us play Inverness  though. 

Maybe you are a bit bitter towards Reilly and Byrne because you didn’t like them as players at dunfermline. They must be doing something right if they are playing every week in the 2 best teams so far. Reilly has been excellent and for us pittman and Byrne have been as good as any other midfielder In league 

8 minutes ago, Livilion28 said:

Maybe you are a bit bitter towards Reilly and Byrne because you didn’t like them as players at dunfermline. They must be doing something right if they are playing every week in the 2 best teams so far. Reilly has been excellent and for us pittman and Byrne have been as good as any other midfielder In league 

Or maybe i was just making the point that due to the fact that that opposition fans only see players a few times a season it's hard to judge players on the limited game time that we'll see them on. 

Byrne or Reilly haven't played well against us this season, there's no real debate about that. I'm sure if you could be arsed to go through the match threads that we've had against Livingston this season there wouldn't be a single one praising Byrne, that isn't to say he hasn't had a good season, he's just not played well in the 3 games against Dunfermline. Which is fair considering that in two of the games you've been poor, the best you've played against Dunfermline was in the first game of the season where I thought Jacob's was your best midfielder, he absolutely bossed it. 

I'm genuinely not sure as to who would be in the team of the season, I still wouldn't swap Murdoch for any other goalkeeper, he's been injured a bit though. Outwith that there isn't a Dunfermline player who would be close. 

Gaston

Lithgow Halkett Gallagher Eckersley

Morgan Pittman Byrne Magennis

Reilly Hardie

Hard to argue against our back three, Lithgow has been our best all season and I've yet to really see any defenders in the league compare to them. Eckersley got sent off against us I'm sure but apart from that has had what seems to be a solid season.

Pittman and Byrne are probably the hardest working players in the league, constantly chasing and covering everywhere - pretty much the reason we're as successful as we are. Morgan has ripped us to bits every game apart from the most recent. Bags of talent and has won St Mirren a few games alone this season.

Hardie only came in through the January window but possibly has the best goals to game ratio in the league at 1:1 I'm sure. Vital in winning us quite a few games already in the same way Reilly has been consistent all season. 

I've seen some great Livvy players in the past like Snodgrass, Dorrans etc but none of the current crop seem up to that standard.

They play a very effective system and are well drilled and organised but there's no outstanding talent there. Saints are the same apart from one player. I think the real stars are Hopkin and Ross.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Gaston

Lithgow Halkett Gallagher Eckersley

Morgan Pittman Byrne Magennis

Reilly Hardie

Hard to argue against our back three, Lithgow has been our best all season and I've yet to really see any defenders in the league compare to them. Eckersley got sent off against us I'm sure but apart from that has had what seems to be a solid season.

Pittman and Byrne are probably the hardest working players in the league, constantly chasing and covering everywhere - pretty much the reason we're as successful as we are. Morgan has ripped us to bits every game apart from the most recent. Bags of talent and has won St Mirren a few games alone this season.

Hardie only came in through the January window but possibly has the best goals to game ratio in the league at 1:1 I'm sure. Vital in winning us quite a few games already in the same way Reilly has been consistent all season. 

Yep, Hardie is clearly a better shout up front than Dobbie. :blink:

Samson

Williamson, Halkett, Davies, Eckersley

Magennis, McGinn, Harkins, Morgan

C. Smith, Dobbie

Reilly is a bit unlucky but you have to have Dobbie in there, and Smith has been one of the players of the season so far in this league. The rest pretty much picks itself, maybe Harkins is a bit controversial, but he's been excellent anytime I've seen him.

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Or maybe i was just making the point that due to the fact that that opposition fans only see players a few times a season it's hard to judge players on the limited game time that we'll see them on. 

Byrne or Reilly haven't played well against us this season, there's no real debate about that. I'm sure if you could be arsed to go through the match threads that we've had against Livingston this season there wouldn't be a single one praising Byrne, that isn't to say he hasn't had a good season, he's just not played well in the 3 games against Dunfermline. Which is fair considering that in two of the games you've been poor, the best you've played against Dunfermline was in the first game of the season where I thought Jacob's was your best midfielder, he absolutely bossed it. 

I'm genuinely not sure as to who would be in the team of the season, I still wouldn't swap Murdoch for any other goalkeeper, he's been injured a bit though. Outwith that there isn't a Dunfermline player who would be close. 

I would be very confident Reilly and Byrne would get into dunfermline team right now. Reilly had a nightmare at dunfermline but doesn’t make him a bad player. He’s proved dunfermline wrong this season 100%. Byrne has been an absolute diamond since he’s joined us. Very composed on ball can dictate game and puts in a power of work. I’ve seen dunfermline fans say he used to hide when it got tough. He’s opposite for us he’s one of the players who covers every blade of grass for us along with Pittman. 

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Forgot about Dobbie, Dobbie over Hardie :D 

Just checking the stats; 

Ryan Hardie

103  per goal

517  played

5Goals scored

0 Assists

Stephen Dobbie

142  per goal

2133  played

15Goals scored

5 Assists

Ryan as the better goals per minutes on the field in this limited study. Incidentally they both have the same shots on target percentage at 59%

PS. Difference in font size was courtesy of the Beeb site; not me trying to be funny.

1 hour ago, Livilion28 said:

Hardie won’t be in team of season as he’s only been here for few months. For me dobbie is an incredible player but hasn’t done much against Livingston at all this season. 

This is true actually. Dobbie did nothing at all of note in our first two meetings, although effectively won the third by hassling Halkett into the error then should have scored himself but hit the bar and Kane tapped in the rebound.

Still, I can acknowledge Livi fans havent seen a lot from him. He is still obviously a better shout for Team of the Season than Hardie is.

Now you've fixed the title, I'll have a go.
GK - Graeme Smith (Brechin City). I know, I know. He's been dropped by Brechin, who are winless and have been hopeless for most of the season. However this league really hasn't been a good one for 'keepers so far, and Smith has been excellent in both games between us and Brechin. Evidently he's not the best goalkeeper in the league, but there are no standout candidates (and we've barely forced any into action this season) so he wins by default of actually having to make saves against us. 
DF - Liam Smith (St Mirren). The unsung hero of that St Mirren team imo. He doesn't look fancy, he doesn't do anything fancy, but he's looked really solid every time he's played against us, and is deceptively talented (if that doesn't sound harsh...). When Saints go up I'd imagine they'd be really keen to hang onto him.
DF - Craig Halkett (Livingston). Halkett is almost the opposite of Smith in that he looks exactly like a defender should. He's a big strong lad, who is uncompromising in the air and seems pretty competent with it on the deck. Given he was meh when I watched him with Rangers Reserves in his younger days, he's been one of my surprise stars. I'd imagine he'll be in the Premiership next season.
DF - Harry Davis (St Mirren). The best centre-half in the division. He's maybe not quite hit the heights I expected when he signed permanently, but he's still an excellent player. Even if he did back off Tom Walsh in the 80th minute in December...
DF - Jack Iredale (Greenock Morton). Another one getting in on the back of being outstanding every (twice...once for QP and once for Morton) time I've seen him. Iredale's performance along with Frank Ross on Morton's left last month was as good as I've seen from anyone this season. I realise I'll be mocked for this, but this time next season everyone will agree with me.
MF - Dean Shiels (Dunfermline Athletic). A player I've always liked, he's actually not done as well as I'd expected for the Pars, but played one of the best passes I've ever seen to set up Joe Cardle's goal at the Rock. He's in for that alone.
MF - Scott Pittman (Livingston). Pittman seems to have been at Livi forever now, where everyone thinks he's pretty decent, but nobody talks about it. This season he's looked really good every time I've seen him, and basically sums up why I'm such a big fan of this Livi team. A group of (lets be fair) pretty uninspiring players working together to get some great results.
MF - Nicky Cadden (Livingston). Cadden always reminds me of Josh Windass. Which is a shame for him. He's one of the (every growing list of) players who gives me the fear when he's on the ball. He's torn us apart a few times down the wing, and I doubt that we're alone in that. I've no idea if he's actually, statistically, that effective, but he's certainly good to watch.
FW - Stephen Dobbie (Queen of the South). Still the best player in the league. He might be ancient but he's so intelligent and so talented that he'll be scoring goals in this league when he's a pensioner.
FW - Gavin Reilly (St Mirren). I've always quite liked Gavin Reilly. I didn't expect him to have scored 21 goals by this stage in the season though. Next season will be his big test, but if he's playing with confidence then he'll probably do alright - which is good as he seems like a nice chap.
FW - Cammy Smith (St Mirren). St Mirren's most dangerous player every time we've played them, and another guy who maybe doesn't get the credit he deserves because of Lewis Morgan's form. By the way I know I'm going to get a bit of stick for not having Morgan in the team, but I can only base it on guys I've seen against us - and based on that (and the way Sam Wardrop marked him out the game in December) - Smith and Reilly are more deserving of a place in the side.

Dean Shiels. My word.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is true actually. Dobbie did nothing at all of note in our first two meetings, although effectively won the third by hassling Halkett into the error then should have scored himself but hit the bar and Kane tapped in the rebound.

Still, I can acknowledge Livi fans havent seen a lot from him. He is still obviously a better shout for Team of the Season than Hardie is.

I was at East End Park earlier in the season when Dobbie destroyed Dunfermline. He was incredible that day.

Out of interest, who do you feel we should be above in the league?
I put slightly against this as you guys have a very good reputation if punching above your weight so in a way are a victim of your own success.

budget and part time wise you are right second bottom would be about right but I always expect Dumbarton to do a bit better

Archived