Championship team of the season

14 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Now you've fixed the title, I'll have a go.

GK - Graeme Smith (Brechin City). I know, I know. He's been dropped by Brechin, who are winless and have been hopeless for most of the season. However this league really hasn't been a good one for 'keepers so far, and Smith has been excellent in both games between us and Brechin. Evidently he's not the best goalkeeper in the league, but there are no standout candidates (and we've barely forced any into action this season) so he wins by default of actually having to make saves against us. 

DF - Liam Smith (St Mirren). The unsung hero of that St Mirren team imo. He doesn't look fancy, he doesn't do anything fancy, but he's looked really solid every time he's played against us, and is deceptively talented (if that doesn't sound harsh...). When Saints go up I'd imagine they'd be really keen to hang onto him.

DF - Craig Halkett (Livingston). Halkett is almost the opposite of Smith in that he looks exactly like a defender should. He's a big strong lad, who is uncompromising in the air and seems pretty competent with it on the deck. Given he was meh when I watched him with Rangers Reserves in his younger days, he's been one of my surprise stars. I'd imagine he'll be in the Premiership next season.

DF - Harry Davis (St Mirren). The best centre-half in the division. He's maybe not quite hit the heights I expected when he signed permanently, but he's still an excellent player. Even if he did back off Tom Walsh in the 80th minute in December...

DF - Jack Iredale (Greenock Morton). Another one getting in on the back of being outstanding every (twice...once for QP and once for Morton) time I've seen him. Iredale's performance along with Frank Ross on Morton's left last month was as good as I've seen from anyone this season. I realise I'll be mocked for this, but this time next season everyone will agree with me.

MF - Dean Shiels (Dunfermline Athletic). A player I've always liked, he's actually not done as well as I'd expected for the Pars, but played one of the best passes I've ever seen to set up Joe Cardle's goal at the Rock. He's in for that alone.

MF - Scott Pittman (Livingston). Pittman seems to have been at Livi forever now, where everyone thinks he's pretty decent, but nobody talks about it. This season he's looked really good every time I've seen him, and basically sums up why I'm such a big fan of this Livi team. A group of (lets be fair) pretty uninspiring players working together to get some great results.

MF - Nicky Cadden (Livingston). Cadden always reminds me of Josh Windass. Which is a shame for him. He's one of the (every growing list of) players who gives me the fear when he's on the ball. He's torn us apart a few times down the wing, and I doubt that we're alone in that. I've no idea if he's actually, statistically, that effective, but he's certainly good to watch.

FW - Stephen Dobbie (Queen of the South). Still the best player in the league. He might be ancient but he's so intelligent and so talented that he'll be scoring goals in this league when he's a pensioner.

FW - Gavin Reilly (St Mirren). I've always quite liked Gavin Reilly. I didn't expect him to have scored 21 goals by this stage in the season though. Next season will be his big test, but if he's playing with confidence then he'll probably do alright - which is good as he seems like a nice chap.

FW - Cammy Smith (St Mirren). St Mirren's most dangerous player every time we've played them, and another guy who maybe doesn't get the credit he deserves because of Lewis Morgan's form. By the way I know I'm going to get a bit of stick for not having Morgan in the team, but I can only base it on guys I've seen against us - and based on that (and the way Sam Wardrop marked him out the game in December) - Smith and Reilly are more deserving of a place in the side.

This is the Championship team of the season when playing Dumbarton

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Livilion28 said:

Cadden done well last month but hardly kicked a ball before that , he’s been good lately though. Halkett is best defender in league for me

Agree about Halkett. Defensively solid and rarely loses a challenge. Is he not Livi's top scorer this season as well? 

24 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

This is the Championship team of the season when playing Dumbarton

Well, yes. It's not physically possible for me to get to simultaneous games at 15:00 on a Saturday yet unfortunately. I think everyone on here would be accepting that most people would pick players who they've seen play well against their team - not just based on reputation from fans.

If this was the Championship Hyped Up by Their Own Fans XI then it would be totally different. 

1 hour ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Agree about Halkett. Defensively solid and rarely loses a challenge. Is he not Livi's top scorer this season as well? 

In the league he is with 6, Hardie is right behind him with 5 and he's only just got here. In all competitions our top scorer is none other than Brechin City striker Dylan Mackin.

On 01/03/2018 at 20:21, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Now you've fixed the title, I'll have a go.

GK - Graeme Smith (Brechin City). I know, I know. He's been dropped by Brechin, who are winless and have been hopeless for most of the season. However this league really hasn't been a good one for 'keepers so far, and Smith has been excellent in both games between us and Brechin. Evidently he's not the best goalkeeper in the league, but there are no standout candidates (and we've barely forced any into action this season) so he wins by default of actually having to make saves against us. 

DF - Liam Smith (St Mirren). The unsung hero of that St Mirren team imo. He doesn't look fancy, he doesn't do anything fancy, but he's looked really solid every time he's played against us, and is deceptively talented (if that doesn't sound harsh...). When Saints go up I'd imagine they'd be really keen to hang onto him.

DF - Craig Halkett (Livingston). Halkett is almost the opposite of Smith in that he looks exactly like a defender should. He's a big strong lad, who is uncompromising in the air and seems pretty competent with it on the deck. Given he was meh when I watched him with Rangers Reserves in his younger days, he's been one of my surprise stars. I'd imagine he'll be in the Premiership next season.

DF - Harry Davis (St Mirren). The best centre-half in the division. He's maybe not quite hit the heights I expected when he signed permanently, but he's still an excellent player. Even if he did back off Tom Walsh in the 80th minute in December...

DF - Jack Iredale (Greenock Morton). Another one getting in on the back of being outstanding every (twice...once for QP and once for Morton) time I've seen him. Iredale's performance along with Frank Ross on Morton's left last month was as good as I've seen from anyone this season. I realise I'll be mocked for this, but this time next season everyone will agree with me.

MF - Dean Shiels (Dunfermline Athletic). A player I've always liked, he's actually not done as well as I'd expected for the Pars, but played one of the best passes I've ever seen to set up Joe Cardle's goal at the Rock. He's in for that alone.

MF - Scott Pittman (Livingston). Pittman seems to have been at Livi forever now, where everyone thinks he's pretty decent, but nobody talks about it. This season he's looked really good every time I've seen him, and basically sums up why I'm such a big fan of this Livi team. A group of (lets be fair) pretty uninspiring players working together to get some great results.

MF - Nicky Cadden (Livingston). Cadden always reminds me of Josh Windass. Which is a shame for him. He's one of the (every growing list of) players who gives me the fear when he's on the ball. He's torn us apart a few times down the wing, and I doubt that we're alone in that. I've no idea if he's actually, statistically, that effective, but he's certainly good to watch.

FW - Stephen Dobbie (Queen of the South). Still the best player in the league. He might be ancient but he's so intelligent and so talented that he'll be scoring goals in this league when he's a pensioner.

FW - Gavin Reilly (St Mirren). I've always quite liked Gavin Reilly. I didn't expect him to have scored 21 goals by this stage in the season though. Next season will be his big test, but if he's playing with confidence then he'll probably do alright - which is good as he seems like a nice chap.

FW - Cammy Smith (St Mirren). St Mirren's most dangerous player every time we've played them, and another guy who maybe doesn't get the credit he deserves because of Lewis Morgan's form. By the way I know I'm going to get a bit of stick for not having Morgan in the team, but I can only base it on guys I've seen against us - and based on that (and the way Sam Wardrop marked him out the game in December) - Smith and Reilly are more deserving of a place in the side.

Great post. 

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm astounded that a fan of Dumbarton has picked his best 11 based on their performances against Dumbarton.

Not quite sure how else he could give an honest opinion. Suppose he could just guess.

So who's your 11 and what's it based on?

Archived