Best Formation Moving Forward

tartanbrush

With a new manager, new captain and a new generation of players coming through, is it time to also look at a new  system and change in formation. Looking at the players we have and the players coming through I can't help but feel a back 3 and 2 wing backs is the way forward for us.  In front of that base we have players who give us different options to change our Midfield and Attack dependent on the opposition. A lot of clubs seem to use 3 at the back now with Celtic, whom a lot of our players play for, also using it a lot  recently most notably in their win at home against Zenit. It does seem to suit the players we have and i've mocked up a couple of variations depending on who the opposition may be.

Gordon

Souttar        Lindsay      Tierney

Forrest                                                 Robertson

McTominay     McGinn

Armstrong                           Fraser

Griffiths

Any one of Cairney or Mcgregor could slot into this formation. Matt Phillips or Oliver Burke form depending could be added for more width. If we play a stronger side Calum Paterson can play at Wing back with maybe 3 central Midfielders in there to make us more solid and someone like McGregor playing off Griffiths . It also gives us the option of two up front if we want to vary the formation again if we need to go that way at some point. 

Gordon

Souttar     Lindsay     Tierney

Paterson                                              Robertson

McTominay

Armstrong                   Cairney

McGregor

Griffiths

Obviously there would be a debate on who the best players for each position are but at least we have a number of good options now.

We do need to somehow squeeze KT and AR into the same team because they are both that good, a back 3/5 would allow us to do that.

We have a few young centre halves coming through now that have plenty of potential, especially Soutar who is finally coming to fruition. Add in Lindsay, the 2 young boys at Rangers and McKenna at Aberdeen and you can see a hopeful future at the central of defence for us. Would need at least 1 old head playing beside them in a back 3 though.

I don't think Paterson is the answer to our right back problem though, still not convinced.

3-5-2/5-3-2 should be looked at though, which is what this thread is about.

Yeah 100 percent agree we have to try and shoehorn both Tierney,who I think will end up as captain, and Robertson into the same team and into positions they can both excel. Tierney isn't the same player at Right Back. He played well as a Centre Back against Holland but I feel he would be more comfortable on the left of a three. This is actually where he played against England and played well. I agree about Paterson as a Right Back which is another reason id rather move away from a flat back 4, there aren't really much good options for Right Back apart from Paterson or in the future maybe young Ralston. Paterson would do well as a wing back though with the protection behind him.

On that note about Souttar, I placed him in my line up solely on the reviews he has been getting this season, Craig Leveins comment about being the best defender in Scotland obviously the one sticking out, but has anyone on here actually watched him regularly this season and how do you rate him? I saw him last season and the potential was there he just sometimes lacked concentration and his decision making wasn't quite there yet, could definitely see potential though and hopefully he has improved those aspects since I last saw him.

I'd hope (no matter how unfounded) that we would rarely be in a position where we have "our system" and rarely deviate.  We should be able to switch between whatever formations fit the players we have in the squad best.  Scott Brown missed out on the Slovenia.  We're not blessed with having direct, quality replacements for every important player in our squad, so expecting that we'll always play, say, 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 is probably going to lead to cases where we're playing people where they're uncomfortable just to fit "the system".

Having said that, I'd like to see us try a system with wing-backs, even if just to show whether it does or doesn't work for us.  We don't really have too many chalk-on-the-boots wingers, so letting our wing-backs give us the natural width could work.  Where it leaves someone like Forrest, if he remains on form, I'm not sure though.

Yeah I would agree the players we have available at the time and the opposition will dictate what formation we play, and we have been relatively succesful with the 4-2-3-1 going unbeaten for a year until Holland so it shouldn't just be ripped up and thrown in the bin. I think the upcoming friendlies are a good chance though to experiment try a couple of new systems and players and see what works and what gets the best out of our better players ie Tierney and Robertson. Regarding Forrest he has played as a Wing Back in some big European matches this season and played fantastically well, Bayern Munich at home being one that stands out but it is a risk as although he does his fair share of tracking back his defensive qualities aren't up to much.

Decent plan. Although the Stone captured wasn't the actual one; the monks knew Edward I was coming to take it, they switched out the actual stone (obsidian) for one covering a latrine (sandstone).

While the plan sounds like a good one, I fear a historical analogue and we end up with a guy who resembles McTominay slightly, but is actually the janny, who can't play fitba.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Decent plan. Although the Stone captured wasn't the actual one; the monks knew Edward I was coming to take it, they switched out the actual stone (obsidian) for one covering a latrine (sandstone).

While the plan sounds like a good one, I fear a historical analogue and we end up with a guy who resembles McTominay slightly, but is actually the janny, who can't play fitba.

Then we'll have to sack York

Hamilton? As in Jack Hamilton? I don't think he's even played a game this season! I would say we have a few ahead of him to replace McGregor

If any keeper comes in surely it’s Jon McLaughlin from hearts, arguably been best keeper in the top league this year

Archived