Next Scotland captain?

Chimter-boys

On 27/02/2018 at 10:41, Dr Watson said:

Got to be Tierney. An old head on young shoulders, very impressed with his attitude.

Almost certain to become the highest capped Scotland player of all time.

I'd be surprised I'd Tierney got near 100 caps. He's averaging five a year just now, due to us not qualifying for any tournaments. 

Not sure if Nations League games will increase that any, but a 15 year career at his current rate sees him at 75

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be surprised I'd Tierney got near 100 caps. He's averaging five a year just now, due to us not qualifying for any tournaments. 
Not sure if Nations League games will increase that any, but a 15 year career at his current rate sees him at 75

A 'normal' season for Scotland sees us play about 7-10 games so over 10-15 years, injury-dependent, and assuming he remains a first pick, he could make it.
Darren Fletcher has never been part of a tournament squad and he'd be on about 110 caps by now if he hadn't been stricken with UC.

Nah, Robertson lacks the steel of Tierney.
Armstrong isn't captain material

I'd say Berra or Fletcher as captain, or possibly McGinn, and Tierney as deputy.

How does Robertson lack the steel of Tierney?

He has stepped up from Queens Park to Liverpool showing drive, ambition and ability.

He certainly doesn’t shirk out of tackles and is ridiculously hard working.

At the moment Tierney is playing within his comfort zone at Celtic. If you were picking a Scottish player as an example to the rest at the moment it would be Robertson by a mile.

Agree with everything you've said about Robertson tbh. He's stellar at the moment.
Tierney just has an extra edge about him, seems a lot more vocal and carries himself as if he's a 30 year old veteran. Oozes confidence that imo must be inspirational to those he plays with.

This "extra edge" fluff is just a desperate attempt at finding something Tierney is better than Robertson at to Tey and justify the opinion Tierney should be undisputed first choice there. 

Agree with everything you've said about Robertson tbh. He's stellar at the moment.

Tierney just has an extra edge about him, seems a lot more vocal and carries himself as if he's a 30 year old veteran. Oozes confidence that imo must be inspirational to those he plays with.

Tierney is an excellent player, and I’m confident that he could step up and play at a higher level. But for me, as long as he’s at Celtic & playing against diddy opposition nearly every week, Robertson will always be held in higher regard.

ETA: As for captain, I don’t think there’s any obvious candidate.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Tierney is an excellent player, and I’m confident that he could step up and play at a higher level. But for me, as long as he’s at Celtic & playing against diddy opposition nearly every week, Robertson will always be held in higher regard.

I hope Tierney doesn’t do a McStay. He’s tremendous and needs to play week in week out at a higher level.

I hope Tierney doesn’t do a McStay. He’s tremendous and needs to play week in week out at a higher level.

I don’t think Tierney will be short of offers from down south. And with Brendan being linked with the managers job at other clubs, this might also sway any decision Tierney has to make.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

How does Robertson lack the steel of Tierney?

He has stepped up from Queens Park to Liverpool showing drive, ambition and ability.

He certainly doesn’t shirk out of tackles and is ridiculously hard working.

At the moment Tierney is playing within his comfort zone at Celtic. If you were picking a Scottish player as an example to the rest at the moment it would be Robertson by a mile.

So true and the reason if Tierney wants to become a top player he needs to leave Celtic asap.  He gets tested about five times a season, he needs to be somewhere he'll get that every week.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This "extra edge" fluff is just a desperate attempt at finding something Tierney is better than Robertson at to Tey and justify the opinion Tierney should be undisputed first choice there. 

Try defending.  He's better at that.  You don't half come out with some pish.

5 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

That's all well playing against dross every top team he's played he has been roasted. He needs to move to fulfill his potential as he won't get to where he should be cantering it every week in the spl. 

3 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Try defending.  He's better at that.  You don't half come out with some pish.

What utter shite that is, every team in the champions league he played he got roasted it's all well cantering to a few tackles in the spl against utter dross

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:05, Bishop Briggs said:

Robertson would be a better choice for captain than Tierney.

Surely it's between the pair if them, Tierney for me, but would have no issue if it was Robertson

Archived