Rovers v QP

an86

Cup final territory for both, given the precarious situation for both clubs. I thought we’d need four points out of Forfar and Albion Rovers to give ourselves a chance, so we know what that means. Won at Cliftonhill earlier in the season by doing everything we haven’t done for most of the season. Defended solidly and took a chance when it came. Of course, with the big freeze this week, we could be talking about a Tuesday night affair in March.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I would think three wins would keep us up. If two of those were against Queens and Forfar, I doubt that those two would catch us. Good battles at the top and bottom but there are now 5 teams in the division, probably, safe in their positions.

Historically 40 points (12 wins) is enough to guarantee safety with Stranraer and EF almost there which leaves Airdrie who’s home form I think will be enough to save them.

Definitely a surprise win for Rovers yesterday which leads to an intriguing game on Tuesday night- psychologically a defeat for QP I think maybe too much for them to recover the season. Do not underestimate Rovers ability to put a struggling team’s fortunes back on the rails again. 

I’m in the stupid “If we win tomorrow and win on Saturday” zone. However, using actual logic, we’ve won five games all season and the chances of winning two in a row are somewhat remote.

As mentioned on the Alloa thread by Mick1867, I’d go with Donnelly as well. Have him playing just off Keena. It’s likely and sensible that we’ll go more direct. We’re going to need to battle to get a result and my worry is that we lack the dig that the likes of a Berry or McKernon gave us in previous seasons. Same back in defence. We’ve lacked the aggression and leadership that McGeever gave us. Sadly, these guys don’t grow on trees.

On a positive note, we’ve already won here this season and it’s not beyond us to do so again. Not remotely bothered about the spectacle. Get into their faces from the start and try and get some sort of foothold on the game. We obviously have to stop Trouten as well. Not advocating foul play, but a couple of “let him know you’re there” moments early on should be the aim.

For anyone thinking I’m advocating a hammer throwing shitfest in order to sneak a 1-0, yes, yes I am.

1 minute ago, an86 said:

For anyone thinking I’m advocating a hammer throwing shitfest in order to sneak a 1-0, yes, yes I am.

Well! Colour me shocked!

I'd been led to believe that not only were you people gentlemen imbued with the Corinthian spirit, but that you all sported a monocle and went by the Christian name Clarence!

Nicely put by an86. Queens' victory at Cliftonhill, in the autumn, was possibly the worst game of football ever. Only a victory is good enough for Queens but we hope Saturday's surprise rescues the Rovers' season.

26 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Well! Colour me shocked!

I'd been led to believe that not only were you people gentlemen imbued with the Corinthian spirit, but that you all sported a monocle and went by the Christian name Clarence!

Happy to dispense with the monocle and Corinthian spirit for the heat of a basement battle! 

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Are basement battles in this division preferable to promotion ones in the other place?

Depends on the outcome. Think everyone would rather stay in League One as long as possible. The wee trap door that has appeared in League Two makes that even more of the case now. If Cowdenbeath can fall from the Championship to looking like Lowland League certs, it can certainly happen to QP and many others.

12 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Are basement battles in this division preferable to promotion ones in the other place?

Hmm, probably not.

I like being in this Division and I want us to stay as long as possible. However, in a promotion battle, you're winning every week and we're clearly not winning every week at the moment.

Archived