Forfar vs. Raith Rovers

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to see us try a 3-5-2. Zanatta and Barr have been well off it for weeks and I don’t think our current style of play suits wingers.

Think it would help us tighten up at the back and play to our strengths slightly better. However, can’t see Smith making such a dramatic change.

Hopefully Herron, Davo and Robertson return. I don’t particularly rate Spence but he had a decent goal scoring run not long before he was dropped and I don’t think he deserves to be out the team for as long as he has been. If we’re sticking with 4 at the back I’d like to see him or Court upfront with Furtado and Vaughan off the left again. Matthews/Barr/Zanatta on the right, none of those options are particularly great just now but one has to play. 

Lennox

Thomson
Davidson
Benedictus
Murray

Zanatta
Heron
Robertson/Matthews
Vaughan

Furtado
Spence

I’d be pretty confident if we lined up like that, but we won’t, and as a consequence, we’ll probably struggle, like we have in every league game since beating East Fife in August.

Would like to see us try a 3-5-2. Zanatta and Barr have been well off it for weeks and I don’t think our current style of play suits wingers.
Think it would help us tighten up at the back and play to our strengths slightly better. However, can’t see Smith making such a dramatic change.

I'd argue that for a successful 3-5-2 you'd need a fully fit McHattie. I don't think Murray gets forward enough, I'd rather have him at centre half.

As you say, though, it allows for the benching of Bobby Barr, who (setting aside his... temperament) hasn't been playing well, and Zanatta, who's been poor since he came back. One of the issues we have with the current system is the inability to effectively replace the wide players, who should be making the most difference. 3-5-2 allows for straight swaps for everyone bar the two fullbacks.

It lifts some defensive responsibility from McHattie and Thomson, and as above, should tighten up the middle of the defence. Possibility of wasting a man if the opposition are only playing one up front, but Davidson could be pushed slightly further forward. McKay would be pushing for a starting place in there along with Benedictus and Murray.

Perm any two from Robertson/Herron/Matthews to give a relatively dynamic midfield base, with Vaughan playing inbetween the lines. Hendry offers a replacement there.

I'd have Furtado and Spence as my front two, but you also have Court and Buchanan to bring in as like-for-like fresh legs.

If we can get McHattie onto the park for the run-in, I'd go so far as to say its the only system that makes sense. My fear is that Smith will continue with his policy of sticking his eleven "best" players on the park, with little regard to a wider strategy.

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Absolutely no confidence in us going to get a result tonight. Forfar or draw is currently better than evens - terrific value.

This. Our away form is poor and Forfar will be fighting for their lives. I've no faith we'll change things up and drop any of the favourites.  We'll probably start positively, before getting frustrated and hoofing it long. Forfar then get far more possession, start to press, before waltzing through a static defence to score. It's been the same for weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

IMG_20180313_185508.jpg

I... don't know... what that is?

Furtado and Vaughan out wide? It can't possibly be a flat 4-2-4, can it? With Hendry as one of the defensive midfield two?

Chaos.

Could be Furtado left, Matthews right, with Vaughan and Hendry in the middle.

Smith’s all over the place with his team selections. I’d be pretty surprised if the front six wasn’t:

Vaughan Matthews Hendry Furtado

Spence Buchanan

To be fair, I’m not sure I’d have done much different, aside from one of Barr/Zanatta (picked at random, they’ve both been rotten) in place of Buchanan, with Furtado up top.

I guess it could be 4-3-3 with Spence and Furtado playing wide of Buchanan.

Whatever it is, we absolutely have to win here. No excuses. Come on Rovers.

Yep, would agree with Paco on that being the most likely formation of the front 6. Back to Buchanan and Spence up front, after it went so well for us last time.. We’re single handedly ruining Lewis Vaughan’s career.

Archived