Random matches you are watching on TV....

Herman Hessian

Besiktas v Fenerbahce - by christ those Turks know how to generate an atmosphere - marvellous stuff !

The boat over to Fenerbahce was fantastic. The riot police lining the street outside that stadium afterwards not so much fun.

• 2 weeks later...

the BBC Alba "as live" coverage of Kilmarnock v St Johnstone is fantastic - like the Channel 9 stuff on Fast Show:

...gible Gaelic commentary....unintelligible Gaelic commentary...Kris Boyd...unintelligible Gaelic commentary....Wotherspoon...unintelligible Gaelic commentary....

told the referee (who'd just disallowed a potential last-minute matchwinner for the home team in a game set to decide the destination of the title) "you're dead" by all accounts (well - "είσαι νεκρός" for the pedants out there, anyway); led the team of the park in disgust at the decision, match abandoned...

gutted that I gave up watching after just a few minutes of a shitty stream, long before all the excitement...

paok-vs-aek-game-is-abandoned-as-league-sinks-even-lower

26 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Put an ex footballer in a suit and it's still an ex footballer. I doubt very much if you'd get a One Show presenter spitting at a wee girl. 

Adrian Chiles used to be notorious for flicking bogies at pensioners on buses, and Jason Manford waved his cock at minibus full of special needs kids pulled up at a zebra crossing in Altrincham...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43369490

Greek League now suspended, ultimate heads gone territory by the PAOK president

7 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

told the referee (who'd just disallowed a potential last-minute matchwinner for the home team in a game set to decide the destination of the title) "you're dead" by all accounts (well - "είσαι νεκρός" for the pedants out there, anyway); led the team of the park in disgust at the decision, match abandoned...

gutted that I gave up watching after just a few minutes of a shitty stream, long before all the excitement...

paok-vs-aek-game-is-abandoned-as-league-sinks-even-lower

On 25/02/2018 at 20:16, Herman Hessian said:

Besiktas v Fenerbahce - by christ those Turks know how to generate an atmosphere - marvellous stuff !

That was a belter of a game, Quaresma got a five game ban but most players were acting like idiots the whole game. Fenerbahce are my local team now so I should really support them but I might end up a Kasimpasa fan with a soft spot for Trabzonspor,

The Turkish league in general is a bit nuts, there are so many injury time sendings off, incredibly fickle fans though. Georgios Samaras is down in the second tier, yesterday he scored his third goal since leaving Celtic, they certainly got shot of him at the right time.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

That was a belter of a game, Quaresma got a five game ban but most players were acting like idiots the whole game. Fenerbahce are my local team now so I should really support them but I might end up a Kasimpasa fan with a soft spot for Trabzonspor,

What's the feeling within the big Istanbul clubs about Basaksehir? Any consideration about them as a rival yet or are they just a diddy club spending lots of money?

The stuff in Greece is a right laugh. It's corrupt as f**k, though, so even a gun-wielding owner on the pitch isn't the biggest of surprises.

Seems that Olympiacos basically control the FA, and suddenly when they're having a poor season, all this shit starts affecting other teams. Two weeks previously it was PAOK v Olympiacos, and the Olympiacos manager had to be taken to hospital after getting hit by toilet roll flung from the stand. PAOK were deducted 3 points and Olympiacos awarded the win despite the game not being played. Now PAOK have a stoppage time goal ruled out and will probably face another deduction.

PAOK have gone from 10 points ahead of Olympiacos 2 games ago to 1 point behind. Only in Greek football would that be logical. You can kind of understand his frustration, although charging on the pitch with a gun might be a wee bit extreme, even for the Greeks.

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

What's the feeling within the big Istanbul clubs about Basaksehir? Any consideration about them as a rival yet or are they just a diddy club spending lots of money?

They're averaging less fans than Thistle and a big chunk of that is away fans when they play Galatasaray/Besiktas/Fenerbahce/Trabzonspor. I don't think they'll ever really have a fanbase, their stadium is in the middle of nowhere. It's not sustainable and I reckon they'll be back to obscurity in ten years. Obviously they're a threat at the moment but there's no rivalry. Other fans hate Basaksehir crashing the show but they're not a draw, their games are rarely the featured ones on TV. Teams would rather finish behind them than one of their actual rivals.

On 07/03/2018 at 22:21, Herman Hessian said:

the BBC Alba "as live" coverage of Kilmarnock v St Johnstone is fantastic - like the Channel 9 stuff on Fast Show:

...gible Gaelic commentary....unintelligible Gaelic commentary...Kris Boyd...unintelligible Gaelic commentary....Wotherspoon...unintelligible Gaelic commentary....

Not any different from a French or German or Spanish commentary then...

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

They're averaging less fans than Thistle and a big chunk of that is away fans when they play Galatasaray/Besiktas/Fenerbahce/Trabzonspor. I don't think they'll ever really have a fanbase, their stadium is in the middle of nowhere. It's not sustainable and I reckon they'll be back to obscurity in ten years. Obviously they're a threat at the moment but there's no rivalry. Other fans hate Basaksehir crashing the show but they're not a draw, their games are rarely the featured ones on TV. Teams would rather finish behind them than one of their actual rivals.

Didn't realise the crowds were quite that bad. That's appalling for a club that's finished top four in the league the past three seasons (and is going to again for a fourth straight year) in a city the size of Istanbul. Even if it does have 3 big clubs and another couple of smaller ones.

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Didn't realise the crowds were quite that bad. That's appalling for a club that's finished top four in the league the past three seasons (and is going to again for a fourth straight year) in a city the size of Istanbul. Even if it does have 3 big clubs and another couple of smaller ones.

People complain about the Old Firm dominance in Scotland (which is, of course, a huge problem) but the domination of the big clubs in Turkey is ridiculous. Ankara has about the same population as Scotland but their two top tier teams combined to average less than Dundee United last season. Everyone's a Galatasaray/Besiktas/Fenerbahce/Trabzonspor fan. Nobody cares about Basaksehir and it will be a long time, if ever, before people do.

10 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Not any different from a French or German or Spanish commentary then...

well - other than the fact that they are highly unlikely to include a majority of anglicised player names during commentary given the amount of brits plying their trade abroad, no it's not - guess we'll have to wait for Kris's career-defining move to La Liga or Serie A to hear it in context ;)

Archived