GAMES OFF

Chis

So if teams call for early inspection it’s give the park a chance so they did that now it’s wrong they should have done an early inspection Jesus Christ almighty

There are parks where if they give the sun time to do its job it’ll be on & there are parks like Bellsdale where parts of the ground the sun never gets to that you are wondering why thee isn’t an inspection

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a Club decides not to have an inspection and match referee calls the game off due to pitch being unplayable the home Club would then most likely be responsible for the away team's expenses.

2 hours ago, tombo said:

Muirkirk v Irvine Vics just been called off by the ref. Shocking decision.

I travelled all the way from Aberdeenshire by public transport for this one. Before train number 1 had got to Glasgow I got a reply from Muirkirk that it was On, so I continued with train 2 to Ayr then the 80-minute bus ride. Had there been any doubt, I would have diverted to a Plan B fixture somewhere around Glasgow instead.

Beautiful weather in Muirkirk upon arrival 45 minutes before KO. Made the pilgrimage hike up to the ruins of the old ground. Got back 15 minutes before KO to see folks driving away and was told "The ref acted as if he wanted to be somewhere else. He called it off for one small patch in the shadow of the trees. Even though the players have shown that it takes a stud, he wouldn't even put his boots on. Both sets of players and managers wanted to play, but he wasn't having any of it." As I was being told this, players were training on the park, including in the so-called unplayable area. Nobody died.

Ridiculous. This is as good as it gets up there in the winter months, and a jobsworth / CBA ref is calling it off. SIGH. 

Sounds like somebody wanted to be in front of the TV watching the rugby. Perhaps the explanation for some of the other 'unusual' PPs today too?

Oh well, it took me 7 hours to get there. Same to get back home. And I've had no footy to show for it.

I struggle with depression, with the novelty of going to a different match each Saturday being the only ray of hope in my otherwise miserable life. And then some numpty of a ref goes and does this. I hope you are feeling very proud of yourself, sir.

Plus, of course, for the host club another week passes without any income.

NOT amused...

38 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

Aberdeen to Muirkirk using public transport is some going mate.

Knew how I felt when we got there and then spoke to LeedsPhil on the way out. Ended up at abbey park with Jimmy Ry and Craig McCallum.

T

I travelled all the way from Aberdeenshire by public transport for this one. Before train number 1 had got to Glasgow I got a reply from Muirkirk that it was On, so I continued with train 2 to Ayr then the 80-minute bus ride. Had there been any doubt, I would have diverted to a Plan B fixture somewhere around Glasgow instead.
Beautiful weather in Muirkirk upon arrival 45 minutes before KO. Made the pilgrimage hike up to the ruins of the old ground. Got back 15 minutes before KO to see folks driving away and was told "The ref acted as if he wanted to be somewhere else. He called it off for one small patch in the shadow of the trees. Even though the players have shown that it takes a stud, he wouldn't even put his boots on. Both sets of players and managers wanted to play, but he wasn't having any of it." As I was being told this, players were training on the park, including in the so-called unplayable area. Nobody died.
Ridiculous. This is as good as it gets up there in the winter months, and a jobsworth / CBA ref is calling it off. SIGH. 
Sounds like somebody wanted to be in front of the TV watching the rugby. Perhaps the explanation for some of the other 'unusual' PPs today too?
Oh well, it took me 7 hours to get there. Same to get back home. And I've had no footy to show for it.
I struggle with depression, with the novelty of going to a different match each Saturday being the only ray of hope in my otherwise miserable life. And then some numpty of a ref goes and does this. I hope you are feeling very proud of yourself, sir.
Plus, of course, for the host club another week passes without any income.
NOT amused...

Hats off to you sir that’s some going to see a game of football

Living on the coast surprised to see Meadow game off ....as there was no frost at 8am this morning.  Not surprised to see Beith game off due to hill-shadow. Refs should either do early inspections or in the case of Muirkirk game where is a little frost put it on. The sun at this time of year will do the business! Players just want to play football!! Bad weather on the way...there'll be no junior football ...anywhere , next week!!!

Living on the coast surprised to see Meadow game off ....as there was no frost at 8am this morning.  Not surprised to see Beith game off due to hill-shadow. Refs should either do early inspections or in the case of Muirkirk game where is a little frost put it on. The sun at this time of year will do the business! Players just want to play football!! Bad weather on the way...there'll be no junior football ...anywhere , next week!!!

Meadow helpers and Committee who were at Meadow Park were surprised game was off too as was only small area(s) of frost that should have been away come 2pm but ref didn't want to take a chance with Petershill making journey down so called game off around 10/10.30am. The pitch cut up really bad last week but had huge amount of work on it during week and was good for today apart from frost.

Beith should have ordered an early inspection if there was any doubt. 
Poor show.

Both clubs agreed in the morning not to bother with an inspection and give it a chance. Over 95% of the pitch playable with 75 mins still to kick off and the referee who was followed around the pitch by the Bankies Management Team decided he wasn't giving it a chance. Both secretaries suggested a 2.30pm kick off and both clubs to do their warm up on the concerning area but he didn't want to know. Absolute joke to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Bellsdale Boy said:

Both clubs agreed in the morning not to bother with an inspection and give it a chance. Over 95% of the pitch playable with 75 mins still to kick off and the referee who was followed around the pitch by the Bankies Management Team decided he wasn't giving it a chance. Both secretaries suggested a 2.30pm kick off and both clubs to do their warm up on the concerning area but he didn't want to know. Absolute joke to be honest.

not the first time this has happened at Beith and been someone else's fault. 

not the first time this has happened at Beith and been someone else's fault. 

Ask the 4 or 5 Bankies fans who walked the pitch at 1pm their thoughts. They also couldn't believe it. Went to Newlandsfield to watch a match and it was no different but the Ref wanted a game on.

11 minutes ago, Bellsdale Boy said:

Ask the 4 or 5 Bankies fans who walked the pitch at 1pm their thoughts. They also couldn't believe it. Went to Newlandsfield to watch a match and it was no different but the Ref wanted a game on.

I remember being down and walking the pitch too and it was pure white and solid. The next time I was surprised it was off but the Petershill management got the blame. I know teams want games on and it's frustrating when refs dubiously call them off but maybe early inspections are the way forward at Beith.

11 hours ago, Bellsdale Boy said:

Bankies management team were in the dressing room picking the team when the officials were inspecting the pitch. The decision had nothing to do with Clydebank team or officials. All down to the ref.

Bankies management team were in the dressing room picking the team when the officials were inspecting the pitch. The decision had nothing to do with Clydebank team or officials. All down to the ref.

So they weren't over on the far side touchline in discussion with him? They didn't tell him when he arrived to go and check the top far corner?

11 minutes ago, Bellsdale Boy said:

So they weren't over on the far side touchline in discussion with him? They didn't tell him when he arrived to go and check the top far corner?

Yes, they had concerns over the condition of the far side and pointed it out to the ref. 

They didn’t follow the ref around during his inspection, though. 

Yes, they had concerns over the condition of the far side and pointed it out to the ref. 
They didn’t follow the ref around during his inspection, though. 

Aye ok, my wording could have been better. They spoke to him before his inspection, didn't speak to him whilst he was in the top half but then spoke to him at length in the bottom half. They still heavily influenced him.

If you can't play football on that pitch yesterday we'd be as well taking the nets down from October to April.

8 hours ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

You don't see dry and all over rock solid summer evening games being called off as the pitch is solid and too hard so maybe a wee bit of discretion could have applied yesterday in only a smaller area / 5 percent of the pitch being of any concern , once the seed is planted by any management team then I'm  afraid very little referees will take the gamble though , if he puts it on after concern is raised and a player gets a head injury landing on the said area then it  will be along the lines of I told you so , a ref should be strong though and judge the pitch 100 percent alone.

Wasn't there yesterday so can't judge the pitch , clubs can't win right enough , call it off at 9am and come 2pm it's sunny and the pitch is good to go and it's an outcry , give it every chance like yesterday and a late call offs and likewise people are raging having travelled through to the game .

4 G anyone?

Archived