Decide Scottish cup venue now.

Duraglit shareholder

3 hours ago, PRICEY said:

I remember attending a a central league meeting around about 1989 in what was then the Grosvenor Hotel in the west end.It was discussed at length about the possibility of going into partnership with a senior club to develop Junior footballs own “Hampden”. It would have been primarily for the Scottish cup final,but it was hoped it would have been suitable for regional finals.The to be honest I don’t think the idea was ever spoken about again.
Personally I think with the ongoing developments around Broadwood,it could become a decent permanent home for the Junior cup final.

Is Hampden not up for sale at the moment? Only £2milion I've heard.  Pollok might move in to accommodate their massive home support. They get most of the finals already in any case.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Why does the final actually need a permanent home? 

(Hint: it doesn't).

The only advantage of a permanent home might be avoiding the annual difference of opinion as to where it should be held...

4 hours ago, PRICEY said:

I remember attending a a central league meeting around about 1989 in what was then the Grosvenor Hotel in the west end.It was discussed at length about the possibility of going into partnership with a senior club to develop Junior footballs own “Hampden”. It would have been primarily for the Scottish cup final,but it was hoped it would have been suitable for regional finals.The to be honest I don’t think the idea was ever spoken about again.
Personally I think with the ongoing developments around Broadwood,it could become a decent permanent home for the Junior cup final.

I agree Pricey,Broadwood is a good central location ideal when East versus West happens in a cup final and i believe its still a grass surface(correct me if thats going to change).Only downside is lack of pubs etc.close by,for those seeking a beverage or two,however there's enough room for a marquee to service the big day.I can see how a permanant home for junior finals would end the scramble for a venue each year and end the grumbling of teams travelling from one side of the country into another teams backyard.

On 25/02/2018 at 22:40, Harry's Corner said:
On 25/02/2018 at 11:02, BS7 said:
What about playing it over two legs?

If you haven't anything constructive to say then keep it bolted you clown

I wondered why the semis could be played over two legs, but the final couldn’t. I don’t think two legged semis particularly works, but it’s clearly favoured over a one off neutral tie. The final location is and continues to be contentious, but I’m sorry for missing your sparkling and insightful contribution in this thread. Or indeed, ever.

14 hours ago, drs said:

Broadwood is artificial, has been for about 5 years.

Thanks for the correction,writing the post something in my pea brain was saying Broadwood was artificial.The cup final should alway be on grass,and some good news is,Kilmarnock considering ripping up the carpet, replacing with good old turf.

I personally think the SJFA need to settle on a long term venue.In recent years the final choices have been very unfair.As a Junior fan that stays right in the middle of the I wouldn’t have a problem with an Ayrshire venue,as long as it was decided before the season starts.Ironically I was at Somerset Park Ayr on Saturday and actually thought it would be superb for Junior cup final.
And for the love of God,please stop the two legged semis.You pay one match throughout the competition,then switch to two?.First out the hat,or at least a neutral Junior ground.

14 minutes ago, PRICEY said:

woulI personally think the SJFA need to settle on a long term venue.In recent years the final choices have been very unfair.As a Junior fan that stays right in the middle of the I wouldn’t have a problem with an Ayrshire venue,as long as it was decided before the season starts.Ironically I was at Somerset Park Ayr on Saturday and actually thought it would be superb for Junior cup final.
And for the love of God,please stop the two legged semis.You pay one match throughout the competition,then switch to two?.First out the hat,or at least a neutral Junior ground.

Fair points, well made. With 30 games next season, no replays in cup ties might be useful too...although that would mean some alarmingly early kick offs!

19 minutes ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

Replays in the Scottish are a must for me , a team drawn away from home deserve the crack of a  replay at home if they draw after 90 minutes , straight to penalties after one game would be a total nonsense.

Agreed,  and I'm not sure why people are so desperate to dilute what is good about the Scottish and makes it special.  The replays are sacrosanct as far as I'm concerned (I'd get the 2 leg semis to feck right enough).  

Losing replays is a step towards devaluing the tournament and as it's the only truly valued Cup left in the Juniors that would be very short sighted. 

9 minutes ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

I actually liked extra time after the replay and then penalties , it's currently impossible for anyone to see extra time now as a junior fan unless your team are level after 90 minutes in a Scottish senior cup replay , last time I saw extra time in a beith match was 1998 in a Scottish cup replay against arthurlie and it won't be seen again , if no replays in the Scottish cup outwith the semis and finals of course then I'm afraid it would devalue it , every team deserves the shot of a replay .

I just about remember the days of three matches to settle ties.  Proper wars of attrition those were by the end!

I can see why that might be a tad excessive but the single replay is fine by me as it's what a National cup competition should be about, 

31 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Agreed,  and I'm not sure why people are so desperate to dilute what is good about the Scottish and makes it special.  The replays are sacrosanct as far as I'm concerned (I'd get the 2 leg semis to feck right enough).  

Losing replays is a step towards devaluing the tournament and as it's the only truly valued Cup left in the Juniors that would be very short sighted. 

I can see replays are part of the tradition and it was just throwing it into the mix ahead of THIRTY game league seasons. Trust me, I would not want to tinker with  something which, as a neutral, has given me great entertainment ( and a few mis-matches) for sure. Of course, ideally, it would be replays and single game semis, but IDEALLY, it would only rain, sleet and snow occasionally and it would stay light in the evenings until nine through March, April and from August to the end of October. Unfortunately, it doesn't do any of these things.

I would also hate to see replays go, indeed even though I can't see it happening in a month of Sundays, I'd like to see the final go to extra time and a replay if drawn (and the semis if they were ever made one-off ties again). I first got interested in junior football when there was a cup tie between Wishy and, I think, Musselburgh that took about 4 or 5 games to sort out in  1980 (and amazingly Wishy won though Baillieston gubbed them in the next round). Sadly those days are gone but the cup's status merits at least 1 second chance IMO.

Re venues for the final, if the semis were one-off ties again, couldn't the final be brought forward a week or two so that it would be possible to use SPL grounds with grass surfaces (the likes of Fir Park or McDiarmid) before they start the re-seeding?

17 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

I would also hate to see replays go, indeed even though I can't see it happening in a month of Sundays, I'd like to see the final go to extra time and a replay if drawn (and the semis if they were ever made one-off ties again). I first got interested in junior football when there was a cup tie between Wishy and, I think, Musselburgh that took about 4 or 5 games to sort out in  1980 (and amazingly Wishy won though Baillieston gubbed them in the next round). Sadly those days are gone but the cup's status merits at least 1 second chance IMO.

Re venues for the final, if the semis were one-off ties again, couldn't the final be brought forward a week or two so that it would be possible to use SPL grounds with grass surfaces (the likes of Fir Park or McDiarmid) before they start the re-seeding?

Whatever decision is made for the final venue. I do hope it's one that at least a good proportion of players and supporters are happy with. Obviously, consulting either or both is highly unlikely, but get it settled. Semis? Not as important as the competition's showpiece. Replays? We'll call that an agree to differ point, although the impact of thirty game league seasons might change a few opinions, time will tell.

Rugby Park was the ideal venue. Good transport links local pubs and restaurants. Changing it to a plastic pitch has devalued the final. Teams play all year on normal grass only to play the prestige final on that sh*te surface.

A shame as Kilmarnock aren't exactly flush with the cash nowadays.

Last Grounds Suitable IMO

West : Ayr Utd

East : Tynecastle

North : St Johnstone

Central: Motherwell

Archived