Decide Scottish cup venue now.

Duraglit shareholder

Would it make more sense for the SJFA to arrange a venue for the cup final now,rather  than waiting to see who contests it.The quarter finals has a good East  West split,making a venue somewhere along the central belt the fairest outcome.Should the SJFA also declare the last weekend in May will host the cup final,regardless of outstanding fixtures,thus enabling a choice of stadiums that have not closed for summer maintanance..There has been a lot of postponed matches due to weather,so its unlikely all games will be completed before cup final day,with Talbot playing well into June last year.Would it be better just to call it,and play it in May,central ground,grass pitch,your thoughts please?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rugby Park if Auchinleck make it, they're incapable of getting themselves more than 8 miles away without a fair part of their support getting problematically rat-arsed.

As a Talbot fan I'd rather have the final on a grass pitch anywhere but Rugby park.

It's a difficult one - never going to please everybody. Hampden, Parkhead and Ibrox are all way too big and too expensive to hire for a game that will pull in less than 10,000 people. Any of St Mirren,  Firhill , Fir Park or Somerset would all be good but tend to close early for the season.

Livi's a pain in the arse to get to on a Sunday unless you're driving there, Cappielow would be quite good but isn't really near any of the sides still in the cup which would impact the attendance.

Airdrie or Broadwood? Just no.

Really just leaves Killie, Hamilton or Falkirk which are the right size and near the sides still in, although all of them are artificial surfaces - can maybe add Dens to the equation if Carnoustie go the distance.

8 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

But should they name a venue before the finalists are known,to avoid any East or West bias.

They'll normally try to get it near at least one of the finalists in order to maximise attendance. There was no point having it down in the central belt for instance when Tayport played Lochee.

The one time in recent memory they held it not really near either was when Talbot played Shotts at Livi where the crowd ended up just breaking 4,000....although it's not that far from Shotts as the crow flies (bit less than 20 miles?) it was on a Sunday when transport links are a bit sketchy to Livi and obviously a lot of people - fans of both sides and neutrals - who would have otherwise gone clearly gave it a miss.

4 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

But should they name a venue before the finalists are known,to avoid any East or West bias.

Absolutely not. 

Could you imagine the bubbling at the prospect of last season's Talbot V Glens final at Livingstone when Rugby Park was available? (Bearing in mind the unhappiness at Meadow Park being used for the Ardach Final in some quarters). 

Personally I think the idea of showing a bit of flexibility in trying to find somewhere suitable for both parties is better than rigidly adhering to a preordained venue.  While there will be tears and snotters from fans of clubs who've been asked travel further than their opponents to the final venue (hiya Mussey fans), I'm not saying they get it right every time, but that the imperfections of the current system are far more tolerable than the daftness of the alternative suggested in the OP. 

kilsyth would be nowhere near being a candidate (and neither should many other Junior Grounds) - the Junior Cup final should be played somewhere where there is at least seating.

10 minutes ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

Would hate to see the junior cup final following the ardagh and central cup finals in being taken away from a senior ground and going to a junior ground but just as a matter of interest which junior ground has the biggest capacity and could host it even with a relatively low crowd of 4;000.? 

Kilsyth if the huge far side stand was still fully In  use would be a candidate but I really don't know ? 

Since the decline and demise of the huge Junior arenas like old Petershill and Benburb, nothing really sticks out.

There are least a couple of dozen that could cope with 2000-odd crowds, but Junior Cup finals will still routinely attract 6-8000 which is on another level completely from what any current Junior ground could  safely hold - for much the same reasons SPFL places like Dumbarton, Stenny or Albion Rovers would be non-starters.

I think you'd naturally see fewer people attending a final at a Junior gaff anyway. Although the likes of Rugby Park is a bit too big it at least creates a welcoming proposition for the once a year crowd and neutrals. 

Also, although the bigger Junior grounds have notional capacities of 4k and so on, are they actually fit to hold that many in the eyes of the police? (made up crowd roasters need not reply to this). 

4 minutes ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

Read my post properly ,

I did and I replied appropriately to the post you made. 

should play the cup final at somerset  park , grass park holds 9000 and has a great atmosphere . but will probably go to Rugby park as usual, the beaks must be well looked after there ??

1 minute ago, Shanner said:

I think you'd naturally see fewer people attending a final at a Junior gaff anyway. Although the likes of Rugby Park is a bit too big it at least creates a welcoming proposition for the once a year crowd and neutrals. 

Also, although the bigger Junior grounds have notional capacities of 4k and so on, are they actually fit to hold that many in the eyes of the police? (made up crowd roasters need not reply to this). 

I've seen some of those notional capacities and it does make you wonder - some basic grounds in the North Region with hard standing all round and a railing round a pitch with capacities of 2000 and so on.

Out of the Glasgow ones I had a quick look on Wikipedia; Pollok's down as 5000, but I've seen 2000-odd in there and frankly don't know where you could fit in another 3000. Petershill's down as 900 which seems about right, and while we don't have one listed, we were capped at something like 660 for the Scottish tie between BSC Glasgow and Talbot which seemed low considering there had been over 1000 at a final there the previous year!

Vale of Clyde are down as 3000 and the Roch are down as 4215 which both seem way high and would involve people standing on grass banks or whatever to even get close to that figure, and the Ants and Bens must both be sub-1000...500-odd rammed New Tinto for the final there last year and when we hosted Linlithgow at McKenna Park last year the crowd was around 450 IIRC and was probably close to what it could comfortably hold.

6 hours ago, Shanner said:

Absolutely not. 

Could you imagine the bubbling at the prospect of last season's Talbot V Glens final at Livingstone when Rugby Park was available? (Bearing in mind the unhappiness at Meadow Park being used for the Ardach Final in some quarters). 

Personally I think the idea of showing a bit of flexibility in trying to find somewhere suitable for both parties is better than rigidly adhering to a preordained venue.  While there will be tears and snotters from fans of clubs who've been asked travel further than their opponents to the final venue (hiya Mussey fans), I'm not saying they get it right every time, but that the imperfections of the current system are far more tolerable than the daftness of the alternative suggested in the OP. 

A bit harsh shanner,youve hurt  my feelings this morning,how is it daft to read peoples views on what they think is the best time and venue for cup final day.It was an open question and i never meant to be suggestive,my apoligies if it came across  that way.My own opinion would be play it in May regardless of outstanding fixtures,grass surface a must,and really anywhere but rugby park.

28 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

A bit harsh shanner,youve hurt  my feelings this morning,how is it daft to read peoples views on what they think is the best time and venue for cup final day.It was an open question and i never meant to be suggestive,my apoligies if it came across  that way.My own opinion would be play it in May regardless of outstanding fixtures,grass surface a must,and really anywhere but rugby park.

Sorry, that post did read back as rather argumentative. Ah get crabbit when I don't get my 8hrs!

Archived