2030 World Cup

WellView

4 hours ago, WellView said:

Uruguay, Argentina, and Paraguay are talking about launching a bid for the World Cup that year - the centenary of Uruguay's last win. Uruguay don't have the stadia to hold it alone. 

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidatura_de_Uruguay-Argentina-Paraguay_para_la_Copa_Mundial_de_Fútbol_2030

Uruguay's last win was actually in 1950.

Nice idea to return to the site of the first tounament though.

I'm in Uruguay just now, I was sitting in a pub and picked up a newspaper and read this.   Using my limited Spanish and google translate I worked it out.  Anyway, you'd be surprised how much Uruguay is like Scotland - similar landscape, good people.  And it's pouring with rain, so if we qualify it will be as close to a home world cup environment as we could hope for. 

23 hours ago, WellView said:

I'm in Uruguay just now, I was sitting in a pub and picked up a newspaper and read this.   Using my limited Spanish and google translate I worked it out.  Anyway, you'd be surprised how much Uruguay is like Scotland - similar landscape, good people.  And it's pouring with rain, so if we qualify it will be as close to a home world cup environment as we could hope for. 

I am certain they have a smaller population too, don't they? Two World Cups and a smattering of 3rd/4th places isn't too shabby for a country of about 3 or 4 million people.

For the way they played against us at Mexico 86 though, they can f**k right off.

Archived