The Oxfam scandal

Lofarl

I can’t be the only person that thinks this really is a non story and not worth the days of news headlines it’s making.  

From what I understand.  Oxfam aid workers are rattling prossies over in Haiti or wherever they end up.  Is this really such a big deal.  I’d imagine a fair chunk of women in the developing world use prostitution to earn a living.  Is it nice?  No. So I fail to see the outrage.  Sure I doubt many people would donate into charity boxes so Andrew can go on a dirty sex holiday in Cambodia.  But if these aid workers were getting fired in to prossies in Amsterdam there would be no issues.

When they're giving food from aid parcels to mothers so they can shag their daughters (as the Dutch guy did) it is a big deal. When they're going into disaster areas where women are absolutely desperate to do anything to feed their families and they're using the power this gives them to quite literally f**k them over, it's a big deal.

NGOs are able to operate in war zones where they're (mostly) trusted not to take sides and are seen as trying to help. If the perception comes out that "Here comes the charity bwana to shag our women" then charity workers are going to get killed.

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

I can’t be the only person that thinks this really is a non story and not worth the days of news headlines it’s making.  

From what I understand.  Oxfam aid workers are rattling prossies over in Haiti or wherever they end up.  Is this really such a big deal.  I’d imagine a fair chunk of women in the developing world use prostitution to earn a living.  Is it nice?  No. So I fail to see the outrage.  Sure I doubt many people would donate into charity boxes so Andrew can go on a dirty sex holiday in Cambodia.  But if these aid workers were getting fired in to prossies in Amsterdam there would be no issues.

I’m to tired to give a considered response but if you think that abuse of power in that way and the ramifications are a “non story” then you’re as thick as shit and have no moral compass.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m to tired to give a considered response but if you think that abuse of power in that way and the ramifications are a “non story” then you’re as thick as shit and have no moral compass.

I think Newbornbairn gave a better response.  Also check your spelling you thick as shit wall puncher.

Insults are easy eh.

The fact that Oxfam went out and openly attacked the staggering inequality in the world recently has nothing to do with this...no siree.

The right wing of the Tory party were furious that an aid charity would meddle in politics. Next thing we know an old story appears and the British media go in to overdrive.

These c***s need dealt with but this is being massively overblown.

11 hours ago, Lofarl said:

I think Newbornbairn gave a better response.  Also check your spelling you thick as shit wall puncher.

Insults are easy eh.

Yes he did give a better response.  Doesn't detract from my point though.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Are we really comparing a bunch of lads banging some gas cookers in Amsterdam to the exploitation that Oxfam did in Haiti?

Lofarl is by the look of things.

I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy to target Oxfam because of their (supposedly) left-wing stance.  In the last year there has been a big focus on stories about sexual harrassment or misconduct, firstly in the entertainment industry, then moving to politics, with discussions about MPs and staff, onto charity, with the recent President's Club allegations.  In that context, newspapers are going to be looking at all high-profile organisations.  The fact that these were 'old' allegations is also a bit of a red herring - the allegations weren't widely reported but that's part of the scandal, there wasn't openness from Oxfam on the results of their investigations.  We are also seeing these stories widening to other charities, including the Brendan Cox story and reports on Save the Children today.

I started a thread on this story a few days ago and I said then I wasn't surprised about it.  Human beings, even those engaged in worthwhile activities like charity work, are capable of bad behaviour, of doing terrible things.  Put human beings in a place like Haiti in a terrible, post-disaster situation and it isn't 'surprising that some of them, a small number, behave in this way.  We've seen it before in any number of places - peacekeepers, charity workers, UN workers all have a history of abusive, exploitative behaviour.  This doesn't excuse this behaviour, not in the slightest, I think it shows that we need our organisations to have robust processes in place and to  be very careful about the people they employ.

14 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

When they're giving food from aid parcels to mothers so they can shag their daughters (as the Dutch guy did) it is a big deal. When they're going into disaster areas where women are absolutely desperate to do anything to feed their families and they're using the power this gives them to quite literally f**k them over, it's a big deal.

NGOs are able to operate in war zones where they're (mostly) trusted not to take sides and are seen as trying to help. If the perception comes out that "Here comes the charity bwana to shag our women" then charity workers are going to get killed.

The Dutch guy was in his 60's, the daughter was 17.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Mary Beard got absolutely slaughtered for suggesting it might be hard to remain ‘civilised’ in places like Haiti. Wooft.

She  chose her words very badly but I think she has a point.  People are rarely in a situation where they have the opportunity to behave really badly, the chance to do terrible things.  I read a book years ago called The Exception, by a Danish author, Christian Jungersen.  It's about a group of co-workers and the bullying and side eyeing that goes on in offices but it also links that to great societal injustice, to horrific crimes.  In the book he writes about the Hamburg reserve police who were sent to the occupied territories in Poland during World War 2.  These weren't brainwashed Nazis (most of them were older and were from cities that weren't Nazi strongholds so most were likely not Nazi voters) but when they were put into action they ended up carrying out some of the worst massacres of the Einsatzgruppen - in the space of a year the battalion of a few hundred reserve policeman killed tens of thousands of Jews, including the murder of 43,000 in Majdanek.  One thing that's really interesting is at the start of the campaign, the squadron leader told his men what they'd be doing and promised them that if they wanted to opt out they could and there would be no ill consequences for them.  Once the killings started a very small number opted out and nothing happened to them, but most continued and did everything that was asked of them. 

We are all capable of giving in to base impulses, of being cruel.  It's part of the human condition.  Maybe none of the people implicated in this scandal would dream of driving round a red light district in the UK and picking up a prostitute but when faced with the opportunity of doing that in Haiti, where people were desperate, where the aid workers were in a position of real power, where the chances of there being any ill effects are very low, maybe someone would think "f**k it" and do it.  Of course, it's also a distinct possibility that people who are inclined to sexual violence and cruelty would try to get jobs in aid organisations in order to exploit these precise situations.

As disgusting as it might seem, as authorities crack down on paedophilia in the developed world, predatory paedophiles are now going to the developing world to gain access to children. One of their preferred methods is to join a children’s charity https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/oxfam-aid-work-prostitutes-un-workers-child-sex-abuse-harassment-dfid-a8204526.html

Edited by NewBornBairn

"Let us suppose you are losing an argument," Boris Johnson wrote earlier this year.

"The facts are overwhelmingly against you, and the more people focus on the reality the worse it is for you and your case.

"Your best bet in these circumstances is to perform a manoeuvre that a great campaigner describes as 'throwing a dead cat on the table, mate'."

Who said that?

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

"Let us suppose you are losing an argument," Boris Johnson wrote earlier this year.

"The facts are overwhelmingly against you, and the more people focus on the reality the worse it is for you and your case.

"Your best bet in these circumstances is to perform a manoeuvre that a great campaigner describes as 'throwing a dead cat on the table, mate'."

Who said that?

Lynton Crosby? Trump's the master of it though.

Edited by welshbairn

Who said that?

You did!

[emoji767]wanderers 1979

This is clearly a very serious thing and should not be discarded as volunteers just getting their ‘hole’ while helping out a natural disaster, BUT...

I’m not sure I agree with the people publicly distancing themselves from oxfam over this. Big picture they are still an organisation that does a lot of good, that shouldn’t be shut down over a minority of idiots disgracing themselves.

It clearly needs reform and better vetting of volunteers etc but oxfam in itself is still a good organisation that helps a lot of people.