Queens Park vs Forfar

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, spider1867 said:

The worst manager ever for bringing youngsters through. Brings them in they make a mistake which is to be expected and they are sent to Siberia.  We are more than a league club we have a great youth academy but I would not let Gus anywhere near our youngsters he destroys them. How many have came thru in his tenure as manager and stayed in the team? Absolutely none to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm mistaken. 

You criticise him for not bringing youngsters through, then you say you wouldn’t let him anywhere near them. Make up your mind. Out of interest, which youngsters do you think are good enough to be in the team?

You obviously wont let this go so I wont either. The young guys need to have a better run in the team (but not now) and some have but its the quality of senior player Gus has brought to the club that's the problem. I have played another sport to a decent level and found if I played and trained with a higher quality of player with more experience, they in turn gave me the confidence to perform to a higher level and sustain it- not enough support for our youngsters on the pitch or off it.  If Brown had stayed he'd have been in the team. C'mon the Queen's.

5 hours ago, an86 said:

You criticise him for not bringing youngsters through, then you say you wouldn’t let him anywhere near them. Make up your mind. Out of interest, which youngsters do you think are good enough to be in the team?

40 minutes ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

You obviously wont let this go so I wont either. The young guys need to have a better run in the team (but not now) and some have but its the quality of senior player Gus has brought to the club that's the problem. I have played another sport to a decent level and found if I played and trained with a higher quality of player with more experience, they in turn gave me the confidence to perform to a higher level and sustain it- not enough support for our youngsters on the pitch or off it.  If Brown had stayed he'd have been in the team. C'mon the Queen's.

Agree with passandmove's comments. The quality if player Gus has brought in in not up to league 1, I want my team to win games and stay in this league. I just don't like the way he treats younger players. They never get a decent run, if he was to change all the other senior players every time they made a mistake we would have 7-8 changes a week. Young Magee to me looks like a decent footballer not any worse than any other defender. But he is dropped due to a error that any player could make. Ali Miller played at the start if the season and was never included again instead Gus brought in Leitch, Keena and Gullan. I don't get why he does not give any of ours a chance. Apart from Keena are the other guys any better than the 3 or 4 everybody keeps mentioning in oue dev side. And our 20s seem to be winning games all the time and that is a good habit to bring to our 1st team squad. I said I would not trust him in the future with our youngster s just due to the fact he does not develop them he seems to demoralise them. I am 100 percent behind the team in our pursuit of keeping our league 1 status. As I stated in another post he went back to his tried and trusted against Forfar after changing things for Airdrie when it was not required. If he sticks to that team we have a fighting chance. We need workers in the team with Galt and Keena firing with the rest protecting our shaky defence. 

15 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

There is a 20s game tonight at lesser vs Morton. Get down and see if you think any could step in and make a difference. Not that he will give them a  chance. :-)

Have seen the 20s a few times this season. Whilst not being bad, nobody has stood out to me as someone who could get into a League One side.We had a great 20s team the year we finished bottom of League Two. Easy on the eye and won a cup, if I recall. It’s an absolute world away from first team football in League Two, never mind League One.

Everyone likes seeing young players coming through, but not just for the sake of patting ourselves on the back and the whole “one of our own” stuff. They have to be good enough. There’s a confidence element to throwing kids into a relegation scrap as well. If they’re on the end of a few pastings, it can ruin them. Magee hasn’t necessarily been worse than anyone, but he’s not been better either.  Let him clock up games in the 20s, play the odd first team game, and we’ll see where both he and we are in pre-season.

I really think some queen’s fans would prefer it if we were bottom of league 2 and playing a team of 18 year olds. The facts are if they were good enough, they’d be playing, it’s that simple. Macpherson is a great manager for us having one bad season and we have people wanting the Speirs era back because HE PLAYED THE YOUTHS!!!!! f**k me.

42 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

I really think some queen’s fans would prefer it if we were bottom of league 2 and playing a team of 18 year olds. The facts are if they were good enough, they’d be playing, it’s that simple. Macpherson is a great manager for us having one bad season and we have people wanting the Speirs era back because HE PLAYED THE YOUTHS!!!!! f**k me.

I  never said I wanted Speirs back. In fact don't think Speirs has been mentioned he underperformed badly with the pool of players he had at the time. But as I've said the young players that came through then were helped by the quality of experienced players next to them.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:03, williebraveheart said:

It was another classic example of where our main problem lies but it is apparently worth keeping him because he did well four years ago.

Four years ago we finished bottom of League 2. Since then we've won promotion to League 1. What the actual f**k are you havering about?

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:24, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Because our head coach spent his career defending and thinks playing not to lose is more likely to "see the game out" than playing to win. And if course it's all the players' fault again.

I guess Gus never made any mistakes in his time....

Actually, that's not how I saw it on Saturday. At 2-1 up we were still going for more goals and should have scored before they won that free kick on the break. After they equalised both teams went on to have chances that could have won it.   We had another fresh air swipe at goal when it looked easier to score and the effort by Burns at the end was definitely blocked by the defender's hand, although hard to say if it was deliberate

7 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Actually, that's not how I saw it on Saturday. At 2-1 up we were still going for more goals and should have scored before they won that free kick on the break. After they equalised both teams went on to have chances that could have won it.   We had another fresh air swipe at goal when it looked easier to score and the effort by Burns at the end was definitely blocked by the defender's hand, although hard to say if it was deliberate

I'm not just talking about one game. The first time it happened was v Berwick at Airdrie and it's happened plenty since. We got two goals up and played the entire second half defending it. I just like my fitba with a bit of gusto and adventure. So he's not my kind of coach but that's not the same as being anti-Gus. If he had a bit more respect for his playing, and coaching staff, showed a bit more humility in some of his decision-making and represented more closley the ethos of Queen's Park FC I'd have more respect for him. All last year we were watching cool videos and reading books about how QPFC introduced the beautiful game to the world, right up to the sixties, and we played for the sake of the game. Meanwhile, on a Saturday I was watching our head coach going ballistic at players and hooking individuals at short-notice for making mistakes. All in the name of winning. Doesn't really match up.

Gus has never hidden the fact we are a vehicle for him to get back into full-time football, working with the guys every day. His glimmer of hope at returning to the (nearly) big time was dimmed at the Stenny game on the run-in last season and it's been pitch black ever since. As I said before, he'll decide when he goes, not the committee. Given he walked away from QoS I'll be very surprised if he stays with us in L2 again. Especially if you believe an86 version that we won promotion all because of Gus. What's left for him to achieve at QPFC?

And just for the record; no bloody way is Speirs the right man for league football. Good development coach. That's it.

44 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

All last year we were watching cool videos and reading books about how QPFC introduced the beautiful game to the world, right up to the sixties, and we played for the sake of the game. Meanwhile, on a Saturday I was watching our head coach going ballistic at players and hooking individuals at short-notice for making mistakes. All in the name of winning. Doesn't really match up.

Especially if you believe an86 version that we won promotion all because of Gus. What's left for him to achieve at QPFC?

Have you airbrushed Cowboy and Eddie Hunter out of our history? Neither were exactly known for their diplomacy and cool heads on the touchline. Both of them were title winning managers and both had a huge passion and desire to win football matches. Gus won promotion with us and shows that same sort of desire and passion. I like that. There's more than one way to manage. Billy Stark always a calm and measured guy and gave us some of our most enjoyable moments in recent history. In all honesty, I don't care if a manager break dances on the touchline or stands with his arms folded as long as he does well for the club.

As for the second part, don't be ridiculous. Of course the players on the park are the ones who do the job, but the manager brings them in, coaches and motivates them. To deny that MacPherson hasn't done a good job when we've gone from rock bottom of League Two, to 2nd, to promotion, to 6th in League One (our highest league finish in a generation) under his stewardship, is just ridiculous. I'm not sure in what world that isn't a great record. Like all managers, he'll move on and I'd hope if he did move on it would be his decision. As much as I was no Gardner Speirs fan, I'd have thought it ludicrous to sack him for being relegated from the third tier as well. If we're in the bottom league and underperforming, that's when I think a Queen's Park manager should be looking over his shoulder.

15 hours ago, an86 said:

Have you airbrushed Cowboy and Eddie Hunter out of our history? Neither were exactly known for their diplomacy and cool heads on the touchline. Both of them were title winning managers and both had a huge passion and desire to win football matches.

Beat me to it.

I brought up the subject of Cowboy's time at the club on the main QP thread and ask when did our expectations of a QP coach change but didn't get much response. I'm guessing that Stark's reign changed everything. A unique group of young players came through from the youths at exactly the right time for Stark to develop them and, combined with some experience, he turned them into a cohesive unit that played wonderful passing and pressing football. However before that I watched plenty of QP teams that didn't play that style, some were successful ( Eddie and Cowboy) others were decidedly average or worse (McCann and Brannigan)  Aye historically we invented the passing game, we've all seen the vids and read the books, but it's a total myth to suggest that it has always been the ethos of the club.  Cowboy liked a more direct game, his ethos was play your football in and around the opposition box .  Eddie liked to play a 4-3-3 with a winger on each flank -  get the ball to the wingers so they can beat the full back and get the ball in the box 

Because our head coach spent his career defending and thinks playing not to lose is more likely to "see the game out" than playing to win. And if course it's all the players' fault again.

I guess Gus never made any mistakes in his time....

Yas!

Archived