Raith Rovers v Arbroath (24/02/18)

If I remember correctly, Smith showed Arbroaths great away form plenty respect last time and set us up slightly more defensive with 5 in midfield and Vaughan given license to get forward and support.

Wouldn’t surprised to see us set up the same way. All depends if Robertson is fit. Hoping he is, I would line up

Lennox

Thomson

Bene

Davidson

Murray

Matthews

Robertson

Herron

Zanatta

Vaughan

Furtado

Not sure if Matthews deserves a start tbh, been a bit disappointed in him this year, hasn’t really kicked on the way I’d hope. However, think he’ll offer a bit more than Barr has recently. 

Think there’s a decent balance to that side. For all the talk of finding the right balance upfront, our earlier defensive stability seems to have left us. We have only kept 2 clean sheets in our last 13. Hopefully a few games now with the same back 4 and keeper will start to reap rewards and the solidity will return.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If Robertson isn't fit for this then I can't really see us winning the match to be honest.

Aye, if he isn't it's a lightweight midfield of Vaughan and Herron and our best player stuck 30 yards from goal.

We should still be beating Part time teams at home

Why?

I understand you have an advantage with being FT, but you’re Raith Rovers no Rangers.

Don’t agree that you should be beating every PT team in this league every single week.

Think saying that is a disservice to your brilliant home record to be honest.

Not sure if Matthews deserves a start tbh, been a bit disappointed in him this year, hasn’t really kicked on

Other than our away form, one of the most frustrating things for me is Smith playing Matthews wide right, although admittedly he's just found himself out the team now.
He's a very tidy footballer and one I still have high hopes for in the future but we need to get him playing in the middle. Shame we persist on playing Vaughan in there when he's far more suited to an advanced role.

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why?

I understand you have an advantage with being FT, but you’re Raith Rovers no Rangers.

Don’t agree that you should be beating every PT team in this league every single week.

Think saying that is a disservice to your brilliant home record to be honest.

I never said every week I said at home and I know we are not rangers ( thankfully ) but ur not Aberdeen either.  It' still my opinion wether you agree or not we should be beating Arbroath at home and I'm sure most rovers fans agree. I' not saying you won' or can' beat us but that' how I see it.

I never said every week I said at home and I know we are not rangers ( thankfully ) but ur not Aberdeen either.  It' still my opinion wether you agree or not we should be beating Arbroath at home and I'm sure most rovers fans agree. I' not saying you won' or can' beat us but that' how I see it.

I see what you are saying. Going by our budget we should be beating teams like Albion, Queens Park and Stranraer comfortably, especially at home.

I don’t agree. You’re in this division for a reason and you’re not that far ahead of us.

You have an advantage and will be favourites but saying you should be beating us isn’t fair on ourselves or yourselves either, in my opinion.

If I remember correctly, Smith showed Arbroaths great away form plenty respect last time and set us up slightly more defensive with 5 in midfield and Vaughan given license to get forward and support.

Wouldn’t surprised to see us set up the same way. All depends if Robertson is fit. Hoping he is, I would line up

Lennox

Thomson

Bene

Davidson

Murray

Matthews

Robertson

Herron

Zanatta

Vaughan

Furtado

Not sure if Matthews deserves a start tbh, been a bit disappointed in him this year, hasn’t really kicked on the way I’d hope. However, think he’ll offer a bit more than Barr has recently. 

Think there’s a decent balance to that side. For all the talk of finding the right balance upfront, our earlier defensive stability seems to have left us. We have only kept 2 clean sheets in our last 13. Hopefully a few games now with the same back 4 and keeper will start to reap rewards and the solidity will return.

Wee bit worried about Furtado.

Looked great every time I’ve seen him for Raith, Airdrie and Stenny.

What’s the script with Vaughan? The early season hype seems to have went away a bit.

It' sad times when rovers fans are shitting themselves about a home game against a part time Arbroath. 

Oi, cut this pish out, that's the type of nonsense that is reserved for Ayr supporters

Wee bit worried about Furtado.

Looked great every time I’ve seen him for Raith, Airdrie and Stenny.

What’s the script with Vaughan? The early season hype seems to have went away a bit.

Vaughan’s been sitting in front of the back 4 since November.

He isn’t a midfielder but that’s where Smith decided to put him since Herron/ Robertson ended up getting injured

As for the question, Should we expect to beat Arbroath at home with the difference in budget between the 2 teams? Of course we should.

If Arbroath drew Cowdenbeath in the cup, would Arbroath fans not expect their side to beat Cowdenbeath at home with the difference in budget?

I’m not saying that Arbroath won’t cause us problems or that they won’t beat us but if we want to win the league then we have to expect us to be able to beat every team in this league at home.

Vaughan’s been sitting in front of the back 4 since November.

He isn’t a midfielder but that’s where Smith decided to put him since Herron/ Robertson ended up getting injured

As for the question, Should we expect to beat Arbroath at home with the difference in budget between the 2 teams? Of course we should.

If Arbroath drew Cowdenbeath in the cup, would Arbroath fans not expect their side to beat Cowdenbeath at home with the difference in budget?

I’m not saying that Arbroath won’t cause us problems or that they won’t beat us but if we want to win the league then we have to expect us to be able to beat every team in this league at home.

I think you’ve described it better there. I did indeed say we should beat Berwick comfortably before we played them in the cup... however we are a division above them.

Ourselves and Raith Rovers both have a pretty similar record since the turn of the year playing the same teams as each other. I suppose you could look at it in a budget sense but that would mean that you should really be winning 32 games a season which isn’t realistic.

Even though we have a bigger budget than other teams in this league I don’t necessarily think that means we should be beating them, should rightly be favourites though. Way I see it anyway.

Dunno if that’s good or bad news about Vaughan, shows the attacking strength and options you have if you don’t need to be playing him upfront. [emoji1]

Archived