Dundee v Motherwell - 24/02/18

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MikeyWellFan said:

Dundee were absolutely dreadful in the cup game so I’d be hopeful of taking all three points but I just can’t see us winning twice there.

Will go for a 1-1 draw which won’t do us much good but I’m sure Dundee would be happy with.

U wot m8? You're above us by 4 points yet we'd be happy with a draw at home against Motherwell? I don't think so. 

3 hours ago, MikeyWellFan said:

Dundee were absolutely dreadful in the cup game so I’d be hopeful of taking all three points but I just can’t see us winning twice there.

Will go for a 1-1 draw which won’t do us much good but I’m sure Dundee would be happy with.

Why would we be happy taking a point at home from a team who are alongside us in a relegation battle?

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

U wot m8? You're above us by 4 points yet we'd be happy with a draw at home against Motherwell? I don't think so. 

Makes me laugh every time.  That what message Boards are for I guess.

What I mean is Dundee fans posts along lines off - intae this sh1te. Embarrassing if we lose at home to this mob etc etc

Motherwell fan does similar and Q posts / responses querying said post and validity of its merits........

Truth is I rarely if ever post how we should or should not be beating any team.  After Albion Rovers in the cup !!  They have a habit of kicking you in the balls.  I saw a few just like that from Dundee fans before the cup game and how did that turn out......

I too think it is unlikely we will 3 in a row at Dens so would settle for a point.  Much like Dundee however we have the Old firm and Aberdeen (all at home) to play, so every point is welcome to avoid being sucked back into a battle to avoid bottom 2 league places. 

11 hours ago, Spikethedee said:
We've got 3 home and 3 away games left before the split.
Even the most optimistic of us can't see us getting much out of our 3 trips (Parkhead, Pittodrie and Ibrox), so we need a minimum of 5 points from the three home games IMHO.
Motherwell, Saints and Hearts still have to visit Dens and we have done reasonably well against all three over the last couple of seasons. If Murray can maintain his goalscoring form, we might just have a chance of 3 points here.

The problem is in the last 12 months since a decent run at home ended we have won 4, drawn 3 and lost 12 league games at Dens.

Any points we pick up at Dens are welcome. I'd be more optimistic picking up points away.

Its an awful record.

8 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

The problem is in the last 12 months since a decent run at home ended we have won 4, drawn 3 and lost 12 league games at Dens.

Any points we pick up at Dens are welcome. I'd be more optimistic picking up points away.

Its an awful record.

We need Randy Wolters on the sidelines at Dens threatening fans who boo or don't sing IMO.

Motherwell probably need one win to be safe, our next six games are tough as (until this season) we've not done that well v Dundee since they came back up, it's ages since we won in Perth, that plastic pitch is a nemesis and our home games are the top three so I'd like us to go for the jugular to get it on Saturday.  If I were a Dundee fan, I'd have Saturday lined up as a game for a possible three points - a home game v a bottom six team should always be seen as such an opportunity no matter who you are.

Dundee will clearly be a stronger outfit than a couple of weeks ago with Caulker and Murray added.  Hopefully we can defend a bit better too and if Campbell is back we should be stronger as well.  Game could go either way, felt we didn't really get the break of the ball v Kilmarnock so maybe due the rub this time.

Want us to go for the win, but if we end up with a draw I'd not be gutted.

A warning to Motherwell fans who are travelling through that the Friarton Bridge will be down to one lane in both directions all weekend.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/604157/sporting-fans-and-motorists-face-disruption-due-to-weekend-roadworks-on-friarton-bridge/

Motherwell probably need one win to be safe, our next six games are tough as (until this season) we've not done that well v Dundee since they came back up, it's ages since we won in Perth, that plastic pitch is a nemesis and our home games are the top three so I'd like us to go for the jugular to get it on Saturday.  If I were a Dundee fan, I'd have Saturday lined up as a game for a possible three points - a home game v a bottom six team should always be seen as such an opportunity no matter who you are.
Dundee will clearly be a stronger outfit than a couple of weeks ago with Caulker and Murray added.  Hopefully we can defend a bit better too and if Campbell is back we should be stronger as well.  Game could go either way, felt we didn't really get the break of the ball v Kilmarnock so maybe due the rub this time.

Pretty fair summation. I hope you’re right about 1 more win as we would only need 2 and a draw. There are still 11 games to go for us, 33 points to play for so a lot can change.

I still remember the season we were 6 points clear of Dunfermline (and other teams) going into the split. Lost all 5 games and went down - those games included the Soapy Soutar horror show at EEP. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Tbh I'd say we're probably two wins pre-split away from guaranteed safety (we finished 9th last season on 38 points) and it'd be nice to get those sorted sooner rather than later. If we can hit 38 points pre-split then I'd imagine that we'd pick up one or two wins post-split to take us over the 40 point mark.

This is how the last 10 seasons have looked:
16/17 - 11th: 35 pts
15/16 - 11th : 36 pts
14/15 - 11th: 36 pts
13/14 - 11th: 35 pts
12/13 - 11th: 41 pts
11/12 - 11th: 33 pts
10/11 - 11th: 33 pts
09/10 - 11th: 33 pts
08/09 - 11th: 37 pts
07/08 - 11th: 40 pts

The only real anomalies there are 12/13 and 07/08 which were of course notable as they were Dundee's Club 12 season and Gretna's swansong. Remove those as outliers and you're looking at 11th spot being on average 34.75 points so realistically anything over 38 points is likely to be guaranteed as finishing above 11th in a normal season.

My main concerns ahead of this game are Caulker and the fact this is the 4th game we've played Dundee.

For the most part this season our strategy has been "get balls into the box" and it's worked pretty well tbf. We've 57 goals for in all competitions, 13 clean sheets across 37 games so far this season and 4 in the last 8 games since the winter break. However, as the Killie game showed we're a work in progress when it comes to breaking teams down. If we spend 90 mins just lumping balls on to Caulker's forehead and getting frustrated it's not working then it could be a long afternoon.

Similarly, this is the 4th fixture between the two sides, we've been comfortable in the two at Dens. Even after having a pretty legit looking goal ruled out after 3 mins in the Cup game we still ran out 2-0 winners. For all Dundee can say they created chances (they did) Carson looked pretty assured and on top of our actual goals and the one we had chalked off, Ciftci should absolutely have buried that header. The one we drew at Fir Park we were down to 10 men in the 2nd half, missing Moult and had half a side either out or visibly carrying injuries.

That's all fine and shows that on our day we've got players who can comfortably match Dundee. However you would think that if McCann has any sort of tactical nous about him he'll have looked at how we play and the 3 previous games and come up with a way to counter that. As I (and others) have said it just seems a bit unlikely that we'll go to Dens and win for a 3rd time this season.

Edit to add: Kipré being free of suspension and Allan Campbell hopefully being available are definite positives for us.

3 hours ago, tweed275 said:

Good post.

On 20/02/2018 at 17:03, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm generally happy enough if we avoid defeat away to anyone in this league tbh.

By my reckoning since we won at Dens back in October, we’ve picked up just 4 points from a possible 27 on the road since- a run which has included 7 defeats.

Although we’ve won twice there already this season, I’d say a point tomorrow wouldn’t be too bad all things considered. 

Anyway after last week I’d expect Kipre and Campbell to come back in for this one, with Frear and one of Tanner/Ciftci dropping out. We played alright in spells against Killie but I can see Robinson going back to his tried and trusted here. Hopefully we can shitfest our way to a rare away win which would pretty much make us safe.

Archived