Dundee v Motherwell - 24/02/18

If we manage to win here, and Hearts lose at Ibrox, we go only three points behind the Jambos and our top six hopes remain there for another week.

We've already won 1-0 and 2-0 at Dens this season.  I suppose I'd settle for a 3-0 victory this time.

Ciftci to score at least once please.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly confident about this one for some reason. We gifted them 2 goals in a fairly even game last week, and with the return of Meekings, Caulker, Deacon and Murray into that side will see us significantly strengthened.

But again, it's Dundee so who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost this one tbh. 

We've won comfortably in both our visits to Dens so far this season and the 1-1 at Fir Park was in the middle of our "injury crisis" that saw us effectively playing out the 2nd half with 10 men and literally playing with 10 men after Frear had to go off with us having used our 3 subs. That was along with a half fit goalkeeper, centre half and minus Moult. 

In fact Dundee were the only side who didn't beat us during the December slump

A third victory up there just seems a bit improbable.

On a bit of a tangent, Robinson was saying in his pre-match last week that we were potentially looking at options for strikers.

• (i) I wonder who we're looking at 
  • (ii) I wonder if there's any chance we might bring someone in ahead of this game

"We're always looking, we have some potential targets that we are looking at this week."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-injuries-mount-peter-hartley-12031158

Obviously big Herbalife came off the bench at the weekend so that's something, but with Newell still struggling fitness-wise not to mention his general inexperience it still feels like we have space for one more and the fact Robinson was in for another striker on deadline day suggests he's of a similar opinion.

I'd like it if we could try to start this game with 11 football players on the park instead of 10 players and a guy named Moussa (that I'm not sure what he is exactly). His nice guy status and being a real try hard seems to be blinding some of our support to just how bad he is. And NM seems so desperate to see him come good that he just keeps rolling him out there. I'll support him if he is on the pitch because as a Dee why would I want him to fail? I just don't see it though.

He wouldn't even be on my bench, but with Henvey's status unclear, Haber finished for the season after surgery today, and a free scoring youngster in the Dev side I don't know what I'd do with the moose at this point........ oh who am I kidding I'd place Cedwyn Scott on the bench from the dev side and put Moussa in the stand with Wolters.

AJLS and Murray up top from the start please, and thanks NM. I'm begging the manager to stop torturing me by having me watch Moussa attempt to play the fitba.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

On a bit of a tangent, Robinson was saying in his pre-match last week that we were potentially looking at options for strikers.

• (ii) I wonder if there's any chance we might bring someone in ahead of this game

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-injuries-mount-peter-hartley-12031158

Obviously big Herbalife came off the bench at the weekend so that's something, but with Newell still struggling fitness-wise not to mention his general inexperience it still feels like we have space for one more and the fact Robinson was in for another striker on deadline day suggests he's of a similar opinion.

I don't think we will sign anyone now Bowman is back ahead of schedule as they managed to get this face mask for him to use during games and Newell is back training so I'd expect he may play some part for the under 20s on Wednesday.   Also James Scott who Robinson mentioned the other week scored a hattrick yesterday and if he keeps progressing as he is we might see him promoted to the 1st team squad.

On paper looks like a hard game for us but we played completely shite in the cup game and despite Parrish flogging one and Holt having a complete brain fart it was closer than it looks. As has been said a back 4 of Kerr, Caulker, Meekings and Basque Jon is much, much more solid and with Deacon fit and Murray in we are a different proposition. Anyway I couldn’t actually give a f**k about that we just really really need to win this, please.

On paper looks like a hard game for us but we played completely shite in the cup game and despite Parrish flogging one and Holt having a complete brain fart it was closer than it looks. As has been said a back 4 of Kerr, Caulker, Meekings and Basque Jon is much, much more solid and with Deacon fit and Murray in we are a different proposition. Anyway I couldn’t actually give a f**k about that we just really really need to win this, please.

As much as it pains me, I have to fight Holt's corner. He didn't do much wrong, got in front of his man headed it pretty wide to give Parish time, except the aforementioned goalie had done a runner for no good reason and thus was posted missing to flog his second goal of the game.
The rest of the time Holt is a mega frustrating player, there's a footballer in there somewhere, but ......

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Man, I wish he'd give it a rest - he'd be as well sticking our under-20's in the squad and giving them the last few minutes of matches. 

As much as it pains me, I have to fight Holt's corner. He didn't do much wrong, got in front of his man headed it pretty wide to give Parish time, except the aforementioned goalie had done a runner for no good reason and thus was posted missing to flog his second goal of the game.
The rest of the time Holt is a mega frustrating player, there's a footballer in there somewhere, but ......

I agree but it seems inarguable that we pick up more points with Jon in for Holt.

Was Holt on the bench for the Partick Thistle game? Saw him arguing with Bobby Geddes after he was subbed in the cup game. He was then dropped from the squad entirely. There was then a few comments on Twitter about how he and McCann had fell out (But for whatever reason, despite my hang ups on McCann and his general reputation of taking no shite from players - I felt the posts were more mischief making than anything else).

I like Holt. He deserves far, far better than the reception he gets from our fans. Always respectful, tries 100% every game and seems to get a serious bout of nerves when facing a frosty reception from our fans. He's a cracking player in all reality. He's not mobile enough to be a defensive left back and he's not agile enough to be a winger. He's one of those that has a lot of talent, but misses a few of the vital ingredients to actually make it.

Unquestionably, Jon is better. It was criminal that McCann dropped him for Holt. That being said, Jon can be slightly too lackadaisical at times. He's not perfect.

Going off on a tangent - I've watched Dundee since roughly 96. In that time we've had a few cracking left backs. Marrocco and Beghetto (Criminally underrated Lb and should have been our LB longer than he was) were my two faves. Matt Lockwood was an absolute sensation (Although it was sad to see him struggle in the top flight - if we had him in his prime, he'd have been up there with the best in the division, he had everything but pace). Lockwood was also the best striker of a penalty I've seen in my life as well and I include Moussa and Conroy in that. When he hit that horrific pen against Killie in the cup it was like a switch went off in his head and he never recovered. - Anyways, the point of my tangent was, Jon has the ability to be up there with them 3 but we seriously need to get the finger out and on the charm offensive to tie him down.

Was Holt on the bench for the Partick Thistle game? Saw him arguing with Bobby Geddes after he was subbed in the cup game. He was then dropped from the squad entirely. There was then a few comments on Twitter about how he and McCann had fell out (But for whatever reason, despite my hang ups on McCann and his general reputation of taking no shite from players - I felt the posts were more mischief making than anything else).

I like Holt. He deserves far, far better than the reception he gets from our fans. Always respectful, tries 100% every game and seems to get a serious bout of nerves when facing a frosty reception from our fans. He's a cracking player in all reality. He's not mobile enough to be a defensive left back and he's not agile enough to be a winger. He's one of those that has a lot of talent, but misses a few of the vital ingredients to actually make it.

Unquestionably, Jon is better. It was criminal that McCann dropped him for Holt. That being said, Jon can be slightly too lackadaisical at times. He's not perfect.

Going off on a tangent - I've watched Dundee since roughly 96. In that time we've had a few cracking left backs. Marrocco and Beghetto (Criminally underrated Lb and should have been our LB longer than he was) were my two faves. Matt Lockwood was an absolute sensation (Although it was sad to see him struggle in the top flight - if we had him in his prime, he'd have been up there with the best in the division, he had everything but pace). Lockwood was also the best striker of a penalty I've seen in my life as well and I include Moussa and Conroy in that. When he hit that horrific pen against Killie in the cup it was like a switch went off in his head and he never recovered. - Anyways, the point of my tangent was, Jon has the ability to be up there with them 3 but we seriously need to get the finger out and on the charm offensive to tie him down.

No, he wasn't. I know he and Bain were very good pals though so wouldn't surprise me if there was something going on between Holt and McCann after that whole situation.

13 hours ago, Fifespud said:

On paper looks like a hard game for us but we played completely shite in the cup game and despite Parrish flogging one and Holt having a complete brain fart it was closer than it looks.

I can't see us winning winning a third game at Dens Park this season.  However the recent cup game wasn't quite a sclose as some would make out out.  Tom Aldred's goal was wrongly chalked off and had that been allowed to stand it would have been 3-0.   

We've got 3 home and 3 away games left before the split.

Even the most optimistic of us can't see us getting much out of our 3 trips (Parkhead, Pittodrie and Ibrox), so we need a minimum of 5 points from the three home games IMHO.

Motherwell, Saints and Hearts still have to visit Dens and we have done reasonably well against all three over the last couple of seasons. If Murray can maintain his goalscoring form, we might just have a chance of 3 points here.

Archived