• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

That's the team I would play tbh

Yeah, I think a lot of Arabs would support that starting lineup

One word of caution, my young lad was at the under 21 game recently and said the only player to get pass marks was Mehmet; he also said the two full backs, Ballantyne and Mason, were the worst players on the park.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, I think a lot of Arabs would support that starting lineup

One word of caution, my young lad was at the under 21 game recently and said the only player to get pass marks was Mehmet; he also said the two full backs, Ballantyne and Mason, were the worst players on the park.

Excellent - looks like Ballantyne would be up against Nicky Cadden (provided he remains injury free) which will ensure him a torrid evening. 

Actually our worst scenario would be if United were excessively defensive; we've been far better in an open free flowing game but have struggled against those sides organised to defend in depth as demonstrated in our matches against Dunfermline and QoS. In our last game against the doonhamers in particular they defended strongly allowing no room for our wingers to operate. Going ahead in the 39th minute due to a defensive error and then defending in depth (and effectively) it was like watching paint drying from my perspective although the away supporters probably had a different view.

Fortunately being heavily defensive isn't really in United's make-up which should make for a good match (famous last words).

The clamour for Ballantyne, Mehmet and Mason is entirely due to them having barely played before  - people are pissed off with the present incumbents and arguing that any change is better than sticking with the current team. That's obviously nonsense. I doubt that any one of the three is as good as the guy keeping them out of the team. Ballantyne looked pretty good in his cameo against Brechin, but it was against Brechin in a game we were absolutely coasting. Mason was rancid against Falkirk (although he wasn't alone).

Against that Lewis, Murdoch and Robson have all had plenty of good games against decent sides. None are untouchable and I'd have no qualms about dropping any of them if there's a serious challenge for their place but I wouldn't assume that these three guys would be the ones to come in and I wouldn't be throwing in the reserves just for the sake of it.

1 minute ago, Durnford said:

Excellent - looks like Ballantyne would be up against Nicky Cadden (provided he remains injury free) which will ensure him a torrid evening. 

Ballantyne's at least third choice in that position, probably fourth. Safe to say he won't be playing on Friday night.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

The clamour for Ballantyne, Mehmet and Mason is entirely due to them having barely played before  - people are pissed off with the present incumbents and arguing that any change is better than sticking with the current team. That's obviously nonsense. I doubt that any one of the three is as good as the guy keeping them out of the team. Ballantyne looked pretty good in his cameo against Brechin, but it was against Brechin in a game we were absolutely coasting. Mason was rancid against Falkirk (although he wasn't alone).

Against that Lewis, Murdoch and Robson have all had plenty of good games against decent sides. None are untouchable and I'd have no qualms about dropping any of them if there's a serious challenge for their place but I wouldn't assume that these three guys would be the ones to come in and I wouldn't be throwing in the reserves just for the sake of it.

I think you make some valid points. I havent seen the new left back but most games when Scobbie plays, Robson seems more settled. I have also heard the new guy is shite.

Murdoch is pish. Hes done ok some games and, while i accept that he is an out of position right back, playing out of position at centre half V Aberdeen, he was utterly garbage. Id give the young lad Ballantyne a shot there for a few games. If he cant handle this level then he wont handle the premiership (if we ever get back there). Plus he's a natural full back.

Lewis purely needs a break. Hes all over the place and has no confidence. His kicking has been shite and hes not been commanding the defence. Give the new guy a shot i say.

Were not going to win the league, we are playoff fodder again and will need to cope with injuries and rotate this piss poor squad too.

Was interested to see Charlie Telfer's no loner with United despite having paid Sevco £200k for his signature a couple of years earlier.
Thought he did okay for us when he was on lone so I assume he didn't impress last season?

Teller should’ve stayed and Flood should’ve been chucked but for some fucking reason the opposite happened

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Flood was outstanding in the two games under Ellis and the few games following.  Sadly he’s reverted to type.  I also don’t think he’s club captain material; then again neither was Dillon.

Its interesting. Since the Levein/Houston days, not one single manager has managed to get the best out of Flood.

Seems to me you have to make Flood the wee terrier. Just go and chase people down, win the ball and then give him strict instructions to pass to the closest football player in the same team. Our most recent managers havent done this.

Its all Flood is really good at.

Archived