The 2018 Challenge cup final.

microdave

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The suits absolutely love McDiarmid, I know it's a really easy choice as soon as a highland side is involved but unless something has massively improved since our last visit(it's been a while) I don't see what it has over the multitude of similar grounds.

Given ground rental is essentially free money(all match day expenses are deducted before the share is handed out, any damage would be payed for by the club at fault, additional maintenance costs for holding 1 game will be minimal) should this game not be moved around just a little?

27 finals

10 x McDiarmid

5 x fir park

4 x broadwood

2 x almondvale

2 x excelsior

1 x love street

1 x dens

2 games that are outliers due to significantly higher attendance

1 x hampden

1 x Easter road

Outside of those 2 games the average crowd is 6675. There is alot more grounds suitable for this match. Use them.

Such a strange thing to get annoyed about. 

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/02/2018 at 14:42, jamamafegan said:

Another terrible suggestion. What you’re doing is asking fans of both clubs to travel further away, to a town inferior to Perth and that’s more awkward to get to - for the sake of...what? 2000 extra seats that won’t be required?

Think it’s safe to say we can launch woeful suggestions like East End Park and Forthbank in the bin.

Oaft, that's allot to get wrong in post. 

The correct post would have been "You're asking Dumbarton fans to travel less but Inverness fans to travel more, to a better town for a better stadium better situated within the town, giving the fans a better day out for a better occasion" 

Fair to say we can launch posts like yours in the bin, factual posts only here, thank you. 

I'm not that fussed that it's not at East End, I'd rather have the pitch in better condition for our strong push for the relegation playoffs. 

I'm not quite sure why the finals keep getting played at McDirmand, it's up there with one of the most bland, boring stadiums and away days in Scotland. Forthbank would've been great. 

Would anybody help direct a die hard StJohnSons fan to a shop in Glasgow that sells Dumbarton tops? 

If there is a shop in Dumbarton that sells retro StJohnSons shirts I'd happily jump on a penny farling and Danny MacAskill up the beautiful Dumbarton rock to get to said shop.

23 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The suits absolutely love McDiarmid, I know it's a really easy choice as soon as a highland side is involved but unless something has massively improved since our last visit(it's been a while) I don't see what it has over the multitude of similar grounds.

Given ground rental is essentially free money(all match day expenses are deducted before the share is handed out, any damage would be payed for by the club at fault, additional maintenance costs for holding 1 game will be minimal) should this game not be moved around just a little?

27 finals

10 x McDiarmid

5 x fir park

4 x broadwood

2 x almondvale

2 x excelsior

1 x love street

1 x dens

2 games that are outliers due to significantly higher attendance

1 x hampden

1 x Easter road

Outside of those 2 games the average crowd is 6675. There is alot more grounds suitable for this match. Use them.

East End is okay, but the two side stands have pillars/ camera gantry blocking the view, and there's no parking.

This day and age a primitive set up like that should automatically remove a stadium from hosting a prestigious fixture such as this one.

Only Livingston or McDiarmid were reasonable options for this match, and McDiarmid probably got the nod because it is a wee bit fairer to Inverness distance wise.  If Forthbank had covered ends it might have been a decent shout.

What other grounds do you suggest?

17 minutes ago, Eugene Dadi's Resurrection said:

Would anybody help direct a die hard StJohnSons fan to a shop in Glasgow that sells Dumbarton tops? 

If there is a shop in Dumbarton that sells retro StJohnSons shirts I'd happily jump on a penny farling and Danny MacAskill up the beautiful Dumbarton rock to get to said shop.

Total Teamwear in Port Dundas sell Sons tops. For a retro one you'll struggle though, Toffs did do one a few years ago, but I don't think they sell it anymore unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Finch road said:

Hope Dumbarton win but am genuinely embarrassed at the fans of other teams wanking them off and others gutted its not hosted at their bin

#westcoast
#fuckyogi
#highlandcunts

I'm delighted to get wanked off.

Salt n' Sauce sir.........ooh yes please :blink:

#ForthbankForMe. 

Please re-tweet

East End is okay, but the two side stands have pillars/ camera gantry blocking the view, and there's no parking.
This day and age a primitive set up like that should automatically remove a stadium from hosting a prestigious fixture such as this one.
Only Livingston or McDiarmid were reasonable options for this match, and McDiarmid probably got the nod because it is a wee bit fairer to Inverness distance wise.  If Forthbank had covered ends it might have been a decent shout.
What other grounds do you suggest?

Is parking seriously a significant factor? The parking at the likes of east end is absolutely fine, nobody has ever refused to go to a game because they might need to park on the street. Indeed many still do even when stadium car parks are available. Any minimal benefit from a bigger car park is easily balanced out by these grounds being poorly situated for public transport and local facilities.

on this occasion McDiarmid has geography on its side but it's more than slightly silly to think that is the case with such regularity that it's picked.

The experience is little different in the following grounds imo

Dens
East end
St mirren park
Broadwood
Fir park
Firhill
Excelsior
Starks
Almondvale
Palmerston
Caley stadium
Falkirk
McDiarmid

Where particularly geographically/capacity suits these can also have a strong case
Forthbank
Tannadice
Easter road
Tynecastle
Rugby park
Victoria park
New Douglas.

It is strange when many can bemoan the identikit stadiums built for the spl 10000 rule that one is seen to be favourite. Of those grounds it shouldn't be too difficult to find the most equidistant ground and use it providing it has sufficient capacity.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Am going. 

This St JohnSons fan has been supporting both clubs for many years. I am in fact the proud owner of this Dumbarton top. I can't remember when I was gifted it though? 

20180221_220821.png

I have managed to purchase the very same sensual effort via an actual 'StJohnSons' fan on ebay!

The bond is thicker than blood.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Is parking seriously a significant factor? The parking at the likes of east end is absolutely fine, nobody has ever refused to go to a game because they might need to park on the street. Indeed many still do even when stadium car parks are available. Any minimal benefit from a bigger car park is easily balanced out by these grounds being poorly situated for public transport and local facilities.

on this occasion McDiarmid has geography on its side but it's more than slightly silly to think that is the case with such regularity that it's picked.

Dens - End stands are fine, but side stands are crap. Poor atmosphere. NO
East end - not suitable
St mirren park -  if all weegie final YES
Broadwood - 3 sided, NO
Fir park - been used a few times. 
Firhill - 3 sided and shite view from Main Stand. NO
Excelsior - YES
Starks - far too open, NO
Almondvale - YES
Palmerston - for Stranraer v Berwick final YES
Caley stadium - seriously? I like ICT, but it's a terrible, open ground. NO
Falkirk - when it's finished yes, until then NO
McDiarmid - YES

Where particularly geographically/capacity suits these can also have a strong case
Forthbank - not covered behind the goals, NO
Tannadice -  if 14k capacity required then YES
Easter road - fine, been used but probably too big for most finals
Tynecastle - Great ground, but again too big mostly.
Rugby park - Bit big for most finals. If Ayr v Stranraer final then yes.
Victoria park - perfect ground, would be a great atmosphere.but which finals?
New Douglas. - two good stands with great views but needs 4 sides. NO

It is strange when many can bemoan the identikit stadiums built for the spl 10000 rule that one is seen to be favourite. Of those grounds it shouldn't be too difficult to find the most equidistant ground and use it providing it has sufficient capacity.

I think Ross County's ground would be ideal for many finals in terms of size, close to the pitch, good atmosphere, all covered, 4 sided, and uninterrupted views (apart from the Jail End). The problem is it's location. 

McDiarmid it is :thumsup2

Disappointed in the Saint Johnstone fans supporting Dumbarton for this one after I lent my support to them for the Scottish Cup Final against the DABs :( 

13 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Total Teamwear in Port Dundas sell Sons tops. For a retro one you'll struggle though, Toffs did do one a few years ago, but I don't think they sell it anymore unfortunately.

10 hours ago, Eugene Dadi's Resurrection said:

I have managed to purchase the very same sensual effort via an actual 'StJohnSons' fan on ebay!

The bond is thicker than blood.

Looks like you can still get the Toffs one here - http://www.lets-go-retro.com/shop/index.php?case=product&proddb=4&pid=41

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Dens
East end
St mirren park
Broadwood
Fir park
Firhill
Excelsior
Starks
Almondvale
Palmerston
Caley stadium
Falkirk
McDiarmid

Forthbank
Tannadice
Easter road
Tynecastle
Rugby park
Victoria park
New Douglas.

Why does this bother you so much?  Both sets of fans are happy with the venue, date and time.

How much do clubs actually make for hosting these games?  Do you expect that St Johnstone are raking in millions from hosting the Challenge Cup?

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

East End has plenty parking. The pillars are also tiny and don't obstruct anyone's view. It also has better hospitality facilities and is better located for train and bus stations. East End Park is great. 

I'm pretty sure you won your Scottish Cup at Celtic Park which has a sizeable pillar though. Again, factual posts only on here, thank you. 

On the forthbank "issue", if you were to offer me standing on the uncovered terrace or sitting in the stand I'd go for the terrace everyday, I reckon you'd get absolute scenes if you were to celebrate an important goal in there. 

Archived