The 2018 Challenge cup final.

microdave

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

2000 sold by DFC so far I’m told

That's a great effort so far. I'd expect that number to rise exponentially over the next 6 days. Add that to a hopefully decent ICT support, some neutrals and your standard sponsors/officials/hingers on and we could be heading for a very healthy crowd.

I also sincerely hope a large proportion of our support are youngsters. The under 12s going free is a great initiative. There's a real opportunity here for the club to generate the next generation of supporter. The day itself will be exciting, colourful and hopefully successful. It's the kind of game that gets kids hooked on the club. It's a real oppprtunity and I hope the club are fully aware of that.

Would also be great if the Trust membership took a wee spike on the day of the game.

8 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I fully understand the Dumbarton fans excitement towards this game but also given their similar position in the league I'm sure they would have preferred this final played in May.

I think there are different ways of viewing it but it is a welcome distraction for us I'd think. Made more interesting but our current league positions and the small gap currently between the teams.

I reckon this could give us a lift/push for the end of the season if we can win it. Even if we don't, it may motivate the players to get their own back on ICT for beating them to it.

Having this in May would be horrendous when there are play offs to be played and it is all but guaranteed that it will be one of us in them too.

3 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

That's a great effort so far. I'd expect that number to rise exponentially over the next 6 days. Add that to a hopefully decent ICT support, some neutrals and your standard sponsors/officials/hingers on and we could be heading for a very healthy crowd.

I also sincerely hope a large proportion of our support are youngsters. The under 12s going free is a great initiative. There's a real opportunity here for the club to generate the next generation of supporter. The day itself will be exciting, colourful and hopefully successful. It's the kind of game that gets kids hooked on the club. It's a real oppprtunity and I hope the club are fully aware of that.

Would also be great if the Trust membership took a wee spike on the day of the game.

If by a 'wee spike' you mean six pints and four haufs then you're bang on the money Jordo ;)

14 hours ago, microdave said:

Will the gate receipts be split between the clubs or do the Spfl keep them?

Up to and including the semi-finals, cash at the turnstiles will be shared equally following the standard 10 per cent deduction from the home club for matchday costs. The gate for the final is split equally between the two clubs participating once costs are deducted.

From https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/irn-bru-cup-how-much-8196025.amp

A heart warming story!

A Lifelong Sons Supporter Ian Still, 80 years young, born in Rutherglen in 1937 and moved to Alexandria in 1942 is truly a lifelong Dumbarton supporter. Has been waiting his whole life to see Dumbarton in a Cup final and is travelling from Canada with his sons for the game.

Ian has been a lifelong fan since attended first Dumbarton game with his father on Oct 27, 1945 – still remembers they lost 2-1 to Airdrieonians at Boghead Park.  Would go to games by himself as a boy– remembers as early as about age 10 in late 1940’s– would take the steam train from Balloch to Dumbarton East for the game Some of his favourite Sons players as a boy were Bob Stirling in late 1940’s and Jackie Malloch in the early 50’s.

All standing in the terraces in the early days with no seats and since he was a wee lad, they would let him stand on the back railing of the terrace at Boghead Park to see over the other supporters.

Ian remembers an early form of “crowd funding” – supporters club members would walk around the edge of the field at half time holding a sheet and supporters would toss coins into the sheet to support the club Very common in those early days for the fans to switch ends at half time so they were always on the side of the home team Was at Boghead for the record crowd that watched Raith Rovers beat Dumbarton in the 7th round (quarter final) of the Scottish Cup on March 2, 1957. Likes to point out that he was the “1” in the record attendance of 18,001.

Ian emigrated to Canada in 1965 but has always followed the club and attends games whenever coming home to visit family Supporting the club is a family affair - Both his sons, Ian Jr and Alastair were born and live in Canada but are also Sons supporters, and his granddaughters Katherine and Fiona have attended games while visiting on holiday. In the early days in Canada it was harder than today to get news on the club. There was a weekly programme on the radio every Saturday afternoon in Toronto at 4:10pm (9:10pm in Scotland) called “Calling All Britons” where they would announce all of the English and Scottish football results.  Before the internet,  they would have to wait until Tuesday before the local smoke shop would have a Scottish Sunday paper available in order to read a small article on the Saturday game.

Even though Ian hasn’t lived in Scotland for several decades, has been buying a Sons Season Ticket for about 15 years as a way to help support the club.  He is also a member of the Sons Supporters Trust. He was over the moon with excitement when Dumbarton reached the final of the Challenge Cup. His two sons are travelling from Canada with their Dad to watch the game. It is something they simply couldn’t miss – a once in a lifetime opportunity! Son Alastair will be in Australia finishing a vacation so will travel all the way from Brisbane to Vancouver to Reykjavik to Glasgow to arrive on Saturday morning to join up with the family to watch the game! Quite the away trip! The loyal Canadian contingent of Sons Supporters will fly home to Canada on Sunday to be home on Monday in order to be back at work and Ian Sr who has been selected for jury duty! It will be an epic journey and will create enough memories to last a lifetime – hopefully capped off with an historic victory for the Sons!

6 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

A heart warming story!

A Lifelong Sons Supporter Ian Still, 80 years young, born in Rutherglen in 1937 and moved to Alexandria in 1942 is truly a lifelong Dumbarton supporter. Has been waiting his whole life to see Dumbarton in a Cup final and is travelling from Canada with his sons for the game.

Ian has been a lifelong fan since attended first Dumbarton game with his father on Oct 27, 1945 – still remembers they lost 2-1 to Airdrieonians at Boghead Park.  Would go to games by himself as a boy– remembers as early as about age 10 in late 1940’s– would take the steam train from Balloch to Dumbarton East for the game Some of his favourite Sons players as a boy were Bob Stirling in late 1940’s and Jackie Malloch in the early 50’s.

All standing in the terraces in the early days with no seats and since he was a wee lad, they would let him stand on the back railing of the terrace at Boghead Park to see over the other supporters.

Ian remembers an early form of “crowd funding” – supporters club members would walk around the edge of the field at half time holding a sheet and supporters would toss coins into the sheet to support the club Very common in those early days for the fans to switch ends at half time so they were always on the side of the home team Was at Boghead for the record crowd that watched Raith Rovers beat Dumbarton in the 7th round (quarter final) of the Scottish Cup on March 2, 1957. Likes to point out that he was the “1” in the record attendance of 18,001.

Ian emigrated to Canada in 1965 but has always followed the club and attends games whenever coming home to visit family Supporting the club is a family affair - Both his sons, Ian Jr and Alastair were born and live in Canada but are also Sons supporters, and his granddaughters Katherine and Fiona have attended games while visiting on holiday. In the early days in Canada it was harder than today to get news on the club. There was a weekly programme on the radio every Saturday afternoon in Toronto at 4:10pm (9:10pm in Scotland) called “Calling All Britons” where they would announce all of the English and Scottish football results.  Before the internet,  they would have to wait until Tuesday before the local smoke shop would have a Scottish Sunday paper available in order to read a small article on the Saturday game.

Even though Ian hasn’t lived in Scotland for several decades, has been buying a Sons Season Ticket for about 15 years as a way to help support the club.  He is also a member of the Sons Supporters Trust. He was over the moon with excitement when Dumbarton reached the final of the Challenge Cup. His two sons are travelling from Canada with their Dad to watch the game. It is something they simply couldn’t miss – a once in a lifetime opportunity! Son Alastair will be in Australia finishing a vacation so will travel all the way from Brisbane to Vancouver to Reykjavik to Glasgow to arrive on Saturday morning to join up with the family to watch the game! Quite the away trip! The loyal Canadian contingent of Sons Supporters will fly home to Canada on Sunday to be home on Monday in order to be back at work and Ian Sr who has been selected for jury duty! It will be an epic journey and will create enough memories to last a lifetime – hopefully capped off with an historic victory for the Sons!

Was really enjoying that wee story till i reached "emigrated to Canada in 1965".

2 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

A heart warming story!

I remember this happening in the past at our home game nearest to Rememberance Sunday for the poppy appeal. I don't know if it was used at other times for club funds. I guess it might have happened for example, when players were not being paid their wages during season 1953/54 and we were relegated from "B" Division?

55 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I remember this happening in the past at our home game nearest to Rememberance Sunday for the poppy appeal. I don't know if it was used at other times for club funds. I guess it might have happened for example, when players were not being paid their wages during season 1953/54 and we were relegated from "B" Division?

The sheets were used to get money for charities. I once was on a sheet team collecting money. Thankfully I was wise enough to walk behind the sheet collecting fallen coins as many in the crowd aimed for the sheet holders and not the sheet. In those days halfpennies pennies and three penny bits were thrown and to be struck by an old penny thrown with force from five yards was painful.A lot of money was collected for charity this way although cynics in the crowd claimed it was to make up the players wages. 

On 3/17/2018 at 19:55, microdave said:

That's amazing. I think it's brilliant that we're going to have more fans than we can fit in our own stadium!

We had 14,000 at the 2015 Scottish Cup Final when our average home gate was 3,500 and yet we barely top 2,000 these days, a cup final certainly brings them out of the woodwork.

We had 14,000 at the 2015 Scottish Cup Final when our average home gate was 3,500 and yet we barely top 2,000 these days, a cup final certainly brings them out of the woodwork.
The more the merrier imo. Hopefully a few will keep coming back afterwards too.

On 17/03/2018 at 15:49, SandyCromarty said:

I fully understand the Dumbarton fans excitement towards this game but also given their similar position in the league I'm sure they would have preferred this final played in May.

I'm actually glad it's being played now before the run-in. Our manager is massive on momentum and confidence - winning the cup final this weekend would make that 3 wins a row and could very well get us going on the run that keeps us up, or at the very least give the entire squad the belief that they can catch ICT in the league.

It's interesting to contrast some of the attitudes towards this Final from the respective fans, and if Dumbarton supporters seem 'enthralled' then that's exactly what we are.  I've supported Sons since 1960 and in that time I've seen us play in six 'serious' Cup Semi-Finals; Saturday however will be the first time that I will be able to attend a 'big' Final in which my team are participants, wave my flag, ogle the cheerleaders, shout myself hoarse and generally have a slightly out of body experience.

Inverness are now a middle-order Scottish club with some very notable achievements; our historically natural constituency though is with Alloa,  Albion Rovers and Cowden so I encourage every young Sons fan to not only be there on Saturday, but to drag your family and mates with you, as these occasions are for us very, very rare indeed.

Everyone - enjoy !

Archived