The 2018 Challenge cup final.

microdave

Forthbank is a terrible suggestion for a number of reasons.

It only has 2500 seats. With talk of Dumbarton taking 3000 through, this is already not enough seats for both sets of fans and neutrals.

Uncovered terraces for a cup final are unacceptable. What if it’s pissing down? There will be kids and families. This isn’t the La Liga ffs.

Loft >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fubar + Dusk

There will be more stjohnson fans in Perth than Stirling because everyone knows Stirling folks love rugger and the Old Firm.

It’s a no brainer.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we played Ross County in the 2006 final it was at McDiarmid park. Distance wise I don't think there's too much between the distances us and County had to travel compared to what Dumbarton/ICT would if that was the chosen venue. 

Either that or one of the Dundee grounds will get the nod I would reckon.

It will probably be McDiarmid.

As for the attendance probably Dumbarton will bring more along than us given this will be their first CC final, obviously we don't have the enthusiasm among our fans for this comp after the SC win, just look at yesterday's Crusader's game attendance which was dire.

This will be our fourth CC final with one win in the last three appearances, the 2000 Alloa game was the worst for me as to lose on penalties was a feckin heartbreak. 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

The advantage McDiarmid has over other grounds is the fact that yes it’s central, it’s also got a massive car park for visiting fans of both teams. Not really fussed either way if it’s played in Perth, but for once our pitch is good and looking decent which will allow the silky skills of Brad McKay to shine.

Unfortunately Brad will be suspended. However you will get to see the God that is Coll Donaldson grace your ground. That will be worth the entrance fee alone. 

Would fellow Son's fans even be adverse to holding it in Inverness? 

Aye, absolutely f**k giving them a home advantage and pitch looked an absolute riot last night.

Plus the travelling numbers would half if any sort of distance is involved. Fairweather fans will make a short journey but nae chance they will travel to the likes of Inverness IMO.

Unfortunately Brad will be suspended. However you will get to see the God that is Coll Donaldson grace your ground. That will be worth the entrance fee alone. 

Ahh I see. I don’t even know the score from the semi, so was unaware that the wolf won’t be howling in the final. Shame.

What about Spartans? It means you'd get a day out in Edinburgh (or maybe too far from the centre?) and it'd be a novelty.

Either that or they should just get a big field off the A9 somewhere and just borrow a Hamilton style gazebo and make it a weekend camping event. It'd be a good laugh.

4 hours ago, the snudge said:

Even if Stirling Albino were at away do one of the lowland league sides not use it on the alternate Saturday? 

Stirling Uni now share at Falkirk not Forthbank... Stirling Uni v Edusport Academy on the day in question, although they've also played some Friday nights there.

19 hours ago, aftershocker said:

Delighted we've made the final...absolutely gutted that I can't make the game as I'm in Japan visiting my daughter

Someone please tell me I can get BBC Alba there???

How about getting your daughter here.

20 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the final is played at a neutral ground but not a premiership club to keep the money in the sides that compete for the trophy. This means McDiarmid would be ruled out. Think the final was played at Easter road and Hampden when the rangers got there just to accommodate the number of fans. If the above is true then i would assume livingston/dunfermline/falkirk/dundee utd would be more viable options. Don't quote me on this but that's my understanding. Maybe @skyline drifter can shed some light.

I know it's already been answered but just to flesh it out a bit. When the Challenge Cup was an SFL competition there was an unwritten rule that it wouldn't be held on an SPL ground. Although even that they over-rode on at least one occasion for practicality as our final v Ross County was held at McDiarmid when they were an SPL club. It really was the obvious location though.

Since the merger that's ceased to be a consideration really although the situation has been complicated by the presence of Rangers in two of the recent finals, necessitating use of a big ground anyway, albeit in both case it ended up being a lower division one anyway. Last season's was at Fir Park with two "bigger" sides in it. Not sure why they didn't use Easter Road. Perhaps Hibs were home that weekend, and I don't think the pitch was in good nick. There wasn't really an alternative non-Premiership ground. Having said that 14/15 Livi v Alloa was at McDiarmid when there were probably non Premiership grounds able to host it. I think generally they look for a circa 10,000 stadium with plenty of parking which is why these games have often been at McDiarmid, Livingston or (pre plastic pitch) Airdrie / Broadwood. They tend not to pick a plastic pitch for the final if at least one of the finalists usually plays on grass so that will rule out the latter two again.

I'd be fairly surprised if it's not at McDiarmid if it's available. As it's an international weekend St Johnstone don't have a game. Livingston seems the only realistic alternative. They are away to us that weekend so it's also available.

Archived