Glaswegians

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most irritating Weegie trait in my opinion is the tendency for strangers to butt into your conversations. Particularly on public transport or in boozers. “A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met”. ^_^

My main other gripe about Glasgow is that it’s home to the Old Firm, Janey Godley and it gave birth to arguably the worst person on the planet - Michelle Mone.

Apart from that, I love the place. 

The only thing worse than the nasal Weegie, scheme accent is the bumpkins in Ayrshire, Falkirk, Stirling etc trying to copy it.

I agree with this.

They're generally just like anywhere else - but there's more than a faint whiff of superiority in a lot of the chat.

Proper centre of the universe stuff.

Very much this, certainly with the Weegie contingent of my family as I've found out (DA-type biography available on request).

Most typical thing for me is that three of them are geography teachers and their knowledge of Scottish geography beyond the Castlecary arches is abysmal at best. They know Cumbrae from Bute and Arran funnily enough though.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

84 posts and this hasn't descended into yet another tedious Glasgow v Edinburgh thread.

Bravo P&B, bravo.

I've been trying quite hard to take it down that route, might give it another go later. 

Had a couple of bites,  one of which was obviously from that ageing weirdo @Romeo

9 hours ago, Afrojim said:

Then there's the large number of really stupid people (usually from the baby boomer generation), who never seem to have left Glasgow ever,  that have somehow managed to work their way into positions that require a high level of competence. They're like relatively well-off adult-infants who gibber on with that weird posh weegie accent but at no point does anything they say actually make the slightest bit of sense. Like David Brent with Tom Devine's accent.

There is also the nostalgic insistence by all weegie's that Glasgow is a working class city. This is despite the fact that all the people that were once working class are now either...

a) Middle Class

b)Unemployed or

c)Dead

Give it up Glaswegians, apart from a few neighbourhoods, your city is now firmly a middle class place - and you prefer it that way really. "Aye but we never had to lock our doors back in the day" - that's because you had nothing worth stealing.

The final thing is the continual insistence that Glasgow is hard done by. Anything Glasgow wants it gets - if it wants new colleges, new roads, new shopping areas/retail estates, new housing estates, new schools, concert halls, sports facilities etc. the money is invested. If you were to add up all the public and private money that's been invested in Glasgow over the last few decades it probably wouldn't be far off the total money invested in the rest of Scotland combined. Glaswegians are not victimised or oppressed, they're certainly not the underprivileged working class. They have everything they could possibly need (and some) to live successful happy lives. Not many Weegie's would give you that impression though when you speak to them. 

Campsie folk eh. Move 5 miles to a dump out of town and think they're in the Highlands

11 hours ago, Afrojim said:

Glasgow is generally quite a nice place but there's a few traits that the people have that really annoy me...

The first thing is the exceptionalism/centre of the universe thing that other  people have already mentioned. 

Then there's the large number of really stupid people (usually from the baby boomer generation), who never seem to have left Glasgow ever,  that have somehow managed to work their way into positions that require a high level of competence. They're like relatively well-off adult-infants who gibber on with that weird posh weegie accent but at no point does anything they say actually make the slightest bit of sense. Like David Brent with Tom Devine's accent.

I was thinking something similar about this.  From the time I lived in Glasgow, it struck me that many of them hadn't a clue about the rest of Scotland.  Many talked about Edinburgh like it was far away and spoke as if Inverness and Aberdeen were in Iceland...yet bizarrely side by side (an hour round trip apparently).

26 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I was thinking something similar about this.  From the time I lived in Glasgow, it struck me that many of them hadn't a clue about the rest of Scotland.  Many talked about Edinburgh like it was far away and spoke as if Inverness and Aberdeen were in Iceland...yet bizarrely side by side (an hour round trip apparently).

They all think you give a fk about the old firm too.  And are way over familiar.

Though tbf Glasgow is a decent place and the people are pretty good compared to most places.  

Glasgow is a good/very good city. The people are generally fine.

The "Glesga Banter" and how friendly the people are etc is a myth though. They are no more friendly than anywhere else in Scotland, and the ratio of wanks/good guys no better or worse.

11 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

They all think you give a fk about the old firm too.  And are way over familiar.

"Who's yer Glesga team?" "Who'd ya really support?"  "Aye, but if you had to choose?"  "You're a (*insert generic team here*) fan.  You gotta be a (*insert one of the Old Firm here*) fan"

'People make Glasgow' and sometimes they make it a lot worse.

Archived