Queens v Pars

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

McIntyre is the obvious choice if we can ignore the 'never return' factor.

Otherwise nelson or Hopkin(i believe he is available in the summer) would be strong candidates.

McKinnon and Petrie would also keep me happy.

Would be happy with any of them. Tannadice seems to destroy previously sane and happy managers so wouldn't hold a poor spell there against McKinnon. 

Petrie would be favourite IMO - the sort of person who'd interest our board. If Hopkin keeps up what he's doing he'll have better options than us. 

8 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Would make 2 changes to team from last week, if fit bring in Thomson for Rankin and Todarov for Ferguson.

I would make the same changes  but it looks like Thomson will be out injured .I would play Thomas on the left to try and get decent crosses in for Todarov Dykes on the right 

I'll be staying overnight in Dumfries overnight, what would the locals recommend for a place to eat?

In the likely event that we lose/draw the missus will probably opt for an Italian in the hope a decent meal can make the trip worthwhile, with the ever reliable tripadvisor saying that Brunos or La Dolce Vita are the top rated places to eat. In the very unlikely event we win and I fancy having a few more pints it has the Caven Arms or the Steamboat Inn as the top rated places, which is a bit odd because the food looks a bit shite in the Caven Arms.

Where do people normally go before the game for a drink? Was definitely in a pub before the game last year but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was called. Was fairly small but had QoTS memorabilia and it had a backroom. Can't have been to far from the ground because I definitely made the game. 

One of the most recent reviews for the Caven Arms says "Big portions, cheap price. 5 out of five. Well oiled machine. Great staff. I like goats. They are really cool."  

What time does the goat get to the pub?

59 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'll be staying overnight in Dumfries overnight, what would the locals recommend for a place to eat?

In the likely event that we lose/draw the missus will probably opt for an Italian in the hope a decent meal can make the trip worthwhile, with the ever reliable tripadvisor saying that Brunos or La Dolce Vita are the top rated places to eat. In the very unlikely event we win and I fancy having a few more pints it has the Caven Arms or the Steamboat Inn as the top rated places, which is a bit odd because the food looks a bit shite in the Caven Arms.

Where do people normally go before the game for a drink? Was definitely in a pub before the game last year but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was called. Was fairly small but had QoTS memorabilia and it had a backroom. Can't have been to far from the ground because I definitely made the game. 

One of the most recent reviews for the Caven Arms says "Big portions, cheap price. 5 out of five. Well oiled machine. Great staff. I like goats. They are really cool."  

I went for a pint in the Caven after the last game last season. It was busy but good. Nice place with good beer selection.

As the pre match pub are you thinking of the Spread Eagle?

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I went for a pint in the Caven after the last game last season. It was busy but good. Nice place with good beer selection.

As the pre match pub are you thinking of the Spread Eagle?

Dickie's?

18 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The Cavens Arms is one of the best pubs in town. Wins awards for real ale every year and the food is excellent.

Brunos is a good Italian but a mile or so out of town centre. Bit dated in decor but always a good meal. La Dolce Vita is a much newer restaurant in the town centre but equally good in quality.  I doubt you will be able to get a table in either one on a Saturday night without having booked in advance. Not convinced they wont be fully booked already to be honest. 

There is another Italian in the Dock Park in the Town Centre too. Pizzeria Il Fiume now trading as Little Italy. It's good too.

As already said, as good as the Steamboat may be (I havent been in it in years but it changed ownership a short while back and seems to be highly rated), it's miles outside Dumfries. It would be like staying in Dunfermline and going to Kirkcaldy for a meal.

Unless La Dolce Vita has changed hands since moving, I wasn't impressed with it. Brunos is lovely if pricey. Maybe worth phoning ASAP to see if there are any spots available for Saturday. The Cavens does great pub grub and it's a first come first served basis so you may be in luck getting a table there.

I assume the pub you were at was The Bazaar. Dickies doesn't have a back room.

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Don't look any further than Brunos.

Looking at Google I think the first pub I was in was the spread Eagle, I'm sure I just came out, turned right and went into the globe but the pictures on Google don't marry up with how I remember it. 

I'll find it on Saturday, stay tuned lads x

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Looking at Google I think the first pub I was in was the spread Eagle, I'm sure I just came out, turned right and went into the globe but the pictures on Google don't marry up with how I remember it. 

I'll find it on Saturday, stay tuned lads x

You remember it, must have been a quite night? :-)

The Cavens Arms is one of the best pubs in town. Wins awards for real ale every year and the food is excellent.
Brunos is a good Italian but a mile or so out of town centre. Bit dated in decor but always a good meal. La Dolce Vita is a much newer restaurant in the town centre but equally good in quality.  I doubt you will be able to get a table in either one on a Saturday night without having booked in advance. Not convinced they wont be fully booked already to be honest. 
There is another Italian in the Dock Park in the Town Centre too. Pizzeria Il Fiume now trading as Little Italy. It's good too.
As already said, as good as the Steamboat may be (I havent been in it in years but it changed ownership a short while back and seems to be highly rated), it's miles outside Dumfries. It would be like staying in Dunfermlibe and going to Kirkcalsy for a meal.

The Pizzeria no longer trades under the Little Italy name. It’s back to what it used to be and is excellent

7 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Grants gastro blog with Lee Robinson psycho watch with updates. None of this football pish.

Added to the story about the Queens keeper being mauled by a cow it’s the most excitement we’ve had since August.

Archived