Aberdeen v Celtic

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I admire your optimism Sir.

However, given that we're missing our 2 (3?) most influential players, and given the damage Celtic have caused to us (in virtually first gear) over the last couple of years, you would have to be borderline nuts to think we'll get a result against them.

I can't begin to think how our porous defence will keep them out, and given that they've overran consistently our midfield even with Shinnie in it, who's going to be replacing him ?

Come to think of it, I can't even begin to contemplate how our midfield will look on Sunday. It's too frightening.

First of all - i'm normally half glass full but I hate it when Aberdeen loses as the negativity is  so bad. This Aberdeen team is a good team and stating the obvious but should be doing a lot better against  Celtic and Rangers. 

You are making it out that Celtic are an amazing team this season they are not in the same level of last season. Last 3 domestic games they have scrapped a cup win against Thistle, only 1 point at home to St Johnstone  and a loss to Killie.  They may well raise their game against us but it is up to us to take on the challange. 

We have had a lot worse than two influential players missing and won. 2004 result is still amazing at Parkhead - Celtic went 77 games at home unbeaten then we turn up with this team below and won 2-1:

Preece, Higgins, Rutkiewicz, Muirhead, Morrison, Tosh (Prunty 23), Heikkinen, Sheerin, Buckley, Zdrilic, Foster.  

43 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Was.going for the hat trick, have to settle for a double.

It’s ok, the two clubs meet at least one more time before Christie is loaned to someone else. You can get your hat trick then.

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

First of all - i'm normally half glass full but I hate it when Aberdeen loses as the negativity is  so bad. This Aberdeen team is a good team and stating the obvious but should be doing a lot better against  Celtic and Rangers. 

You are making it out that Celtic are an amazing team this season they are not in the same level of last season. Last 3 domestic games they have scrapped a cup win against Thistle, only 1 point at home to St Johnstone  and a loss to Killie.  They may well raise their game against us but it is up to us to take on the challange. 

We have had a lot worse than two influential players missing and won. 2004 result is still amazing at Parkhead - Celtic went 77 games at home unbeaten then we turn up with this team below and won 2-1:

Preece, Higgins, Rutkiewicz, Muirhead, Morrison, Tosh (Prunty 23), Heikkinen, Sheerin, Buckley, Zdrilic, Foster.  

honestly can't remember Higgins or Buckley. Did you make them up?

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, betting competition said:

With all respect, citing a fluke and a half from 14 years ago isn't making me more confident... :lol:

Of course we can win. Anything can happen. 

I didn't try to make out that Celtic are amazing, but the fact is this Aberdeen team are a delight for them (and Rangers) to play against. 

Why is that ? Well, apart from the obvious inferiority complex our players have, the main reason is we're such a wide-open side with a Plan A.....Plan A is fairly decent most of the time, but when it doesn't work, we're f*cked big time. 

We can't play the 2 tight lines of 4 in front of our box that other teams can, and which can often frustrate Celtic. We're a team that has vast, wide-open spaces between our midfield and defence that Celtic have exploited so many times in the last few years. How often have we seen Celtic players string 10 or 15 passes together with no Dons player near them, until suddenly Dembele or Griffiths or Forrest or whoever is bearing down on Considine about 5 yards outside our box ?

It's also the reason we don't draw many games. Against the diddy teams our attacking midfielders get plenty of the ball and we create lots of chances. Against better sides the likes of McGinn, GMS etc don't do enough or get enough ball and we're wide open when teams attack us with pace. We're not a team that keeps it tight and draws game 0-0 or 1-1. 

Sorry for the doom and gloom but them's the facts.

I feel the only way for Aberdeen to take anything is to press us high up the park early doors and get a 1st half goal.
Would settle for 0-1.

Have to agree.

Getting the first goal is the only way we’re going to have the required belief to take something from this.

A key feature of our pumpings recently has been the heads going down once we lose the first goal. Can’t let that happen again, especially with no Shinnie.

I’d start Ball next to Chidi. We got a modicum if attacking threat last time at Ibrox when we pushed McLean higher up the pitch.

I’d also start May. There is zero point in trying to play a high pressing game with Rooney leading the line.

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

I’d start Ball next to Chidi. We got a modicum if attacking threat last time at Ibrox when we pushed McLean higher up the pitch.

I’d also start May. There is zero point in trying to play a high pressing game with Rooney leading the line.

Agreed. I would still expect us to get beaten, but Ball and Nwakali should offer us more energy in midfield than other options.

I'd go for: Woodman; Logan, Arnason, McKenna, Considine; Ball, Nwakali; McGinn, McLean, Mackay-Steven; May. Alas, I think McInnes will disagree on one or two of these. 

A few changes from me:

Woodman

Logan

McKenna

Reynolds

Considine

Ball

GMS (purely to cover Considine)

McLean

McGinn

May

Rooney

Just wish Stewart was fit or had pace.

don’t trust AOC against Celtic at CB and Arnason is a huffy *#**.

Get rid of 2 holding MF. Defend further forward and put pressure on them (rather than play so deep every time against them)

Play May to do Rooney’s running purely to stop Rooney coming back so deep trying to tackle opponents which has been an absolute embarrassment lately.

On 19/02/2018 at 22:41, RussellAnderson said:

I'm coming up the road for this one. I hope the train crashes.

Hope I'm not on your train then.

Cannot see any outcome for Sunday that does not lead to me being back in the pub  long before full time. 

Archived