shite badges

Herman Hessian

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kilmarnock.png.4eb57d2500a73e1589ee08a1f925bd34.png

Kilmarnock's badge, like a lot of football clubs, comes from the town crest:

"The arms were officially granted on September 18, 1929.

Kilmarnock was created a Burgh of Barony in 1591-92.

The arms are based on the device on the Burgh seal, which shows the arms of Boyd, Earl of Kilmarnock. The field has been made purple instead of blue and the fess chequy gold/green instead of silver/red. The unique squirrel supporters of Boyd have been retained.

The second motto "Virtute et Industria" has been taken from one of the Burgh seals and replaces "Gold berry", a motto used by the Boyds to commemorate a victory by Robert Boyd over the Norsemen in 1263 at Gold berry Hill near Largs.

It is fairly certain, however, that the gold and green colours in the fess, which were a local suggestion, are intended as a direct allusion to the name "Gold berry".

The Latin mottoes mean "I trust" and "By virtue and by industry"

Image result for doncaster rovers badge

Not to be taken as a dig at the OP or his team but I genuinely have never liked the Doncaster badge.  I'm no expert on the area but would never associate the town with the Vikings so immediately the main image is lost on me. It's almost as if someone's laid the real badge on top of a motor bike crest and the two have mistakenly been taken as a single image. They just don't go together style or colour wise with the cape extending too far and dominating. I really don't see too much wrong with just the shield on it's own, with a bit of tweaking.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Not to be taken as a dig at the OP or his team but I genuinely have never liked the Doncaster badge.  I'm no expert on the area but would never associate the town with the Vikings so immediately the main image is lost on me. It's almost as if someone's laid the real badge on top of a motor bike crest and the two have mistakenly been taken as a single image. They just don't go together style or colour wise with the cape extending too far and dominating. I really don't see too much wrong with just the shield on it's own, with a bit of tweaking.

none taken :)

it is a bit shite to be fair - the version in my signature is better (with the second red bar to approximate the hooped shirts, and the name in full rather than the stupid initials); we used to have the town crest as a badge but (similar to Shrewsbury's thinking) in the late 60's/early 70's the club wanted their own marque to use on merchandising and so on, so they held a competition; the winner reputedly based their design on a Morris car badge and "viked it up" a bit because, as BWV says, the whole area was under Viking control (which is a bit tenuous, as this post-dated 400 years of Roman rule, and another 500 years as part of the Anglo Saxon Kingdom of Deira - later Northumbria - and lasted less than half the time that either of those dynasties endured for).

town crest - would look better with squirrels...

Doncaster-old.jpg

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

none taken :)

it is a bit shite to be fair - the version in my signature is better (with the second red bar to approximate the hooped shirts, and the name in full rather than the stupid initials); we used to have the town crest as a badge but (similar to Shrewsbury's thinking) in the late 60's/early 70's the club wanted their own marque to use on merchandising and so on, so they held a competition; the winner reputedly based their design on a Morris car badge and "viked it up" a bit because, as BWV says, the whole area was under Viking control (which is a bit tenuous, as this post-dated 400 years of Roman rule, and another 500 years as part of the Anglo Saxon Kingdom of Deira - later Northumbria - and lasted less than half the time that either of those dynasties endured for).

town crest - would look better with squirrels...

Doncaster-old.jpg

Very interesting, especially that it was actually based on a motor vehicle marque. I can't really make the badge in your signature out but it appears that's the sort of tweaking I was thinking of. It'd be relatively plain but neat and much better on it's own. Interestingly the Belles version of the current badge looks much more coordinated and acceptable, apart from the L...
Image result for doncaster belles

I was aware of Yorkshire being a Viking playground but, as mentioned, would never directly associate it with Doncaster. I'd have said York had captured that market. My immediate Doncaster word associations would be mining, race course and the Belles. I was wondering if the town has a bit of an identity crisis by trying to piggyback on York's Viking image, Nottingham's Robin Hood's when they renamed the airport and now Sheffield with it being renamed again. Anyway, that's another discussion for another day!

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It would be better if the Viking was facing forwards and holding the crest bit as a shield, with the sword in the other hand.

If the Viking has to be there then you're right but would reduce him and increase the shield as it's out of proportion. The football club should dominate. That cape needs to go though as that's what's causing the most damage imho.

this is my "improved" effort as per the signature...

ROVERS01.thumb.png.81feeeb9aec14b7d5751376b22d4a7e3.png

and the morris badge that's said to have  inspired the general look of the thing

morris-oxford-enamelled-car-badge-on-chrome-with-wings

but yeah - the wings/cape are generally rubbish and should be binned - of no real relevance whatsoever

7 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Two wee squirrels holding a football and random hand forming a gun shape and shooting to the sky with "We Trust" in latin over the top. Very shite.

Or those fingers are about to find their way into a lady's front bum.

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

this is my "improved" effort as per the signature...

ROVERS01.thumb.png.81feeeb9aec14b7d5751376b22d4a7e3.png

and the morris badge that's said to have  inspired the general look of the thing

morris-oxford-enamelled-car-badge-on-chrome-with-wings

but yeah - the wings/cape are generally rubbish and should be binned - of no real relevance whatsoever

Decent tweaking it must be said. 

That was some lateral thinking looking at that badge and deciding that inverting the wings would go well with a Viking for a football club!

25 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

That was some lateral thinking looking at that badge and deciding that inverting the wings would go well with a Viking for a football club!

jesus - would have made a whole lot more sense if i hadn't deleted the rest of that post (duh !) which said:

it was a combination of the morris badge and the viking head that appeared on high-end rover cars of the day that provided both the elements of the badge

aa_Rover%201060%20badge.jpg

Archived