Ton v sons

13 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Good luck to anyway planning on getting home this evening by the way. The traffic is a nightmare outside the stadium - and the mini traffic lights haven't had their phasing changed. So about two cars are getting though in each change.

That's bordering on illegal detention 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A massive improvement as soon as we went 4-4-2 and brought Harkins on, we took control of the game and could have won by more in the end. It was a real slog of a game but grinding out results with set piece goals in games like that is fine. If we're putting out an experimental team, resting some players and still getting the win then great, no matter how much we rode our luck in the first half.

Great 3 points in the end up so very happy about that. Our new keeper had a bit of a baptism of fire and had to be sharp with a couple of decent saves early on - seems decent enough though from what I seen tonight.

We eventually got a grip of the game although Dumbarton always looked lively throughout. Thought they played well tonight to be honest and might feel aggrieved they didn't take something from the game.

The formation didn't do us any favours and I was glad when we  changed back to 4-4-2.  

Big Tam took his goal well and thankfully he did as our strikers didn't have their shooting boots on tonight - McHugh and Oliver guilty of missing a couple of sitters. Not as bad as the Dumbarton sitter though which was a howler.

Nightmare trying to get out of the park - but even those tail backs didn't seem that bad when you have 3 points in the bag!   

Took this game in. Enjoyed the first half but the writing was on the wall for Dumbarton when they missed those 4 chances in the first 7 minutes.

Second half was poor though with both sides running out of ideas. No real surprise that it was a soft goal from a set piece that won it.

Over the piece I thought Morton, those early Dumbarton chances aside, just about deserved to win. I assume though they can play much better.

Interested to see Nesbitt get a run as a sub. Did little to suggest he'll be anywhere near a new deal at Firhill in the summer. He can finish his record for our development team shows that but you need more than that to cut it at first team level even a league or two below the top flight.

Duffy trying out this fucking shambles of a system in preparation for the trip to Celtic Park ... worked well last time Jim...

3 centre backs, 2 of which are playing so wide and so high its ridiculous.

Lucky we were FORCED into changing it or he'd have stuck with it and I doubt we'd have come away with 3 points.

Here’s a thing I don’t get. We looked pretty decent with the starting front four on, mainly because we kept the ball on the ground and knocked it about.

As soon as the subs were made we started going direct, and that began to limit the input of guys like Stirling and Handling, whilst playing right into Morton’s hands. Really disappointing.

On the bright side I thought Kyle Hutton had his best game for a few months. Sprayed the ball about nicely, and worked hard defensively. More of that please, as he’s actually really decent to watch when he’s at the races.

Good luck to anyway planning on getting home this evening by the way. The traffic is a nightmare outside the stadium - and the mini traffic lights haven't had their phasing changed. So about two cars are getting though in each change.

We were parked outside the bowling club, left on FT and were back in Largs for 2235. Excellent 3 points and I thought both teams served up decent enough fare on a gluepot pitch although neither side had a cutting edge. Hoping for a draw between Livi and Utd on Friday night now. I'd bite your hand off for a draw in Inverness.

That was a 0-0 game all day. Neither side looked particularly dangerous (other than 10 mins at the beginning) and we shot ourselves in the foot once again by conceding a stupid goal. Looked like it went through the 'keeper a bit too but will have to see it again.

Our subs definitely weakened us. Every single one of them and quite significantly too. We ended up with 4/5 players in attack at the end but they were so easy to mark because they all gathered within 10 yards of one another outside the Morton box rather than using the width to find space or create space by dragging a defender out of position. These games are the reason we will probably end up in 9th this season.

Morton done what they have done all too often in the last couple of years against us. Picked up all 3 points when a draw (or sons victory at times) would have been fair on reflection.

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Morton's SLO having a bitch about the ticket price on Twitter. Don't think a game will go by this year without someone having a go.

It's a brass neck when the process of even getting a ticket with money in your hand is such a pain in the arse with Morton. 

Well we certainly made unnecessarily heavy weather of that one. Duffy rotating the squad due to our run of games wasn't a bad idea - changing the formation as well was nearly disastrous. In the first fifteen minutes nobody in a Morton jersey knew where they should be playing in that shan 3-5-2 and Dumbarton were well on top. But as soon as that Cypriot ringer hilariously missed, we settled down even in a piss-poor formation and were the better team for the rest of the first half. That first fifteen minutes was Dumbarton's sole chance to avoid the inevitable swording by a much better team tbh

The second half could have ended in a two snakes in an arse-kicking contest draw if we hadn't got inadvertently lucky by having Gasparotto come off injured at the hour mark. That finally forced Duffy into making the obvious formation change to the one that just bossed the recent cup game - Tidser on the right; Ross on the left wing; Harkins coming on and being dominant in the middle. After that our goal was only a matter of time, with Oliver probably getting the flick on from a typically solid O'Ware header. Dumbarton had some forays forward towards the end  of the game as anyone other than Brechin would do at this level but the level of control that we had in the last half hour was night and day compared to the first sixty minutes when either team was equally likely to score.  

Six games unbeaten against Championship opposition now; five of which have been wins.  The Famous' Promotion Steamroller is now clicking smoothly into fourth gear.

1502700351618.jpg.b91487bc89f67c5afe74c95a79f6209a.jpg

3 hours ago, optimistic said:

How we never won that I’ll never know, should’ve been 4 up, Lino poor, ref bit parnickity, should Burt have had a penalty ? I think so

image.jpeg.9d8c3ac0f087d2678d15bb4a730e9965.jpeg

'Bitter delusional mess' should be your next username tbh. 

Archived