Cup Final Date

Illgresi

This isn't a cup final thread, merely a query! The scheduled date is the Sat 19th May. Is there any potential for this to change to the Sunday? Has that ever happened, or has it always been on a Saturday? Have a holiday with dates as yet undetermined, but if there was no chance of the final being on the Sunday it could open up another potential day for travelling. Of course there's absolutely no guarantee the Dons will be there, but regardless it's best to be prepared!

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Really? Without looking I can’t even remember who played in that final :lol: 

EDIT Celtic v Motherwell?

Celtic beat Hibs 4-2. I believe it was on a Sunday as they put it on the same weekend as the champions league final and thus weren't allowed to televise on Saturday. Ever since then they've played it on a Saturday a week or two before the champions league final.

They scheduled it for a Sunday in 2013, to use be the same weekend as the Champions League Final (there are restrictions on televising games on the same day even though it's in the evening - plus the SFA hierarchy couldn't go to both if they were the same day).

Other than that, it's always been a Saturday - and the Saturday before the CL final since it was moved to a weekend. It'll be Sat 19th May this season, almost certainly Sat 25th May next season etc.

Incidentally a single final in Victorian times was on a Friday: it might have been a Glasgow local holiday or fast day.

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Having looked it up that is indeed the case. Maybe they cracked-down on it after that: aside from the following season (using the Sunday) it's always been the week before since CL went onto Saturday final in 2010.

I'm sure I read that UEFA allowed it in 2012 as a one off but then cracked down on it after that.

The cup final should always be on Saturday at 3pm. I'd actually like to see the premiership playoff final be a single game on a neutral ground on the Sunday of the same weekend at 3pm.

They scheduled it for a Sunday in 2013, to use be the same weekend as the Champions League Final (there are restrictions on televising games on the same day even though it's in the evening - plus the SFA hierarchy couldn't go to both if they were the same day).

Other than that, it's always been a Saturday - and the Saturday before the CL final since it was moved to a weekend. It'll be Sat 19th May this season, almost certainly Sat 25th May next season etc.

Incidentally a single final in Victorian times was on a Friday: it might have been a Glasgow local holiday or fast day.

It was the same day as the CL final in 2012.

Dont see the harm in having it the same day as the champions league final. Scottish cup final kicks off at 3pm and finishes at half 5 at the latest. (Given extra time & pens) with all due respect uefa, nothing happens in that timeslot between the scottish cup final final finishing and your game kicking off. Some Football fans are happy to go out and watch a full day of football. They aren’t losing out on any tv viewers just because the scottish cup final is on. Not as if we are going to be in the pub thinking, well that scottish cup final isnt going to be topped, might as well just call it a day and not bother watching europes top 2 sides go at in another game today.

Archived