Origins of Football Stadia Names...

John Lambies Doos

On 17/2/2018 at 13:15, John Lambies Doos said:

Ignoring all the Recent sponsor naming I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on the origins of stadia name. Some are fairly straightforward e.g Parkhead and Ibrox some not so, Boghead, Firhill, Tynecastle etc etc etc. Interesting to hear the reasons, no reason why English stadia and further a field can't be included.

Do you mean Celtic Park?

There was a feature on stadium name origins in the last ever edition of the 'Scottish League Review'.

Scrub that - it was actually about club and town name origins, but mentioned a few stadium names in passing.

Btw, many churches still have glebes today... historically every landward congregation of the established Church of Scotland had to have a manse, an arable glebe field (4 acres), plus a further grass field sufficient to keep a horse (for transport) and 2 cows (for milk); where no arable land was available a larger glebe had to be allocated from marginal or moorland. Most recent figures I can find online suggest there are still 700 glebes, amounting to between 12,500 and 13,000 acres... i.e. about 1/2 of CofS congregations still own a glebe and perhaps 2/3 of those originating from old parish churches. Apparently the largest glebe is over 2,000 acres - no doubt waste land or similar - and a few examples like that will account for the total averaging well beyond a few acres.

Brechin glebe was actually the source of landmark legal judgements in 1855 and 1860 confirming ministers of parishes part-landward and part-burghal were entitled to glebes but colleagues weren't. Glebes could be feud and sold from 1866 - Brechin seems to undergone this about 1890. What is now Glebe Park was bought by the football club in 1919.

Of course it's also on Trinity Road and has a Cemetery End.

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 21:46, The Mantis said:

Brock is simply the Scots word for a badger.

That's what Ibrox is derived from too I believe.

Rugby Park, because the rugby club played there first. Self explanatory really.

Scotland's national stadium ironically takes its name from an English roundhead, John Hampden.

Archived