McLeish's coaching team.

Caley Shaun

Daily Record saying that Peter Grant is in and Roy Aitken is a contender but no news on Andy Watson who AM had last time round :O.

Also, lots of media saying McFadden is interested in joining the team.

So I wonder if Callum Davidson and GK coach gets retained.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Caley Shaun said:

Daily Record saying that Peter Grant is in and Roy Aitken is a contender but no news on Andy Watson who AM had last time round :O.

Sweet Jesus!

What a line up.

No surpise that with a Sevco man in the top job, they've surrounded him with Celtic men to balance it out.

Seriously, the mentality of the SFA defies belief. This stuff is not just the greatest poison to Scottish football, but to Scottish society as a whole.

1 hour ago, Caley Shaun said:

Callum Davidson wasn't invited back to the last game I don't think. Tommy Wright was in the papers saying they'd been phoning the SFA to find out if he was needed and when to meet them and nobody ever responded. 

Tbh the McFadden thing makes absolutely no sense. I love Faddy, he's an absolute hero but in his interview on Motherwell's social channels after McGhee gave him the assistant manager gig last season he pretty much said that coaching wasn't something that he'd even considered at that point and by the end of the interview he was already talking about how he still felt he had something to offer on the park and despite being assistant manager he still had ambitions to play.

It's not necessarily a reflection on McFadden as such but it's telling that Robinson was quick to punt him as assistant and get Lasley in for the assistant role (someone who's fully pro licensed and has spent years working through his badges). In that situation Lasley felt he could go another season but Robinson gave him a choice of either continuing his playing career at another club or committing to the coaching side of things full time. He (obviously) went with the latter.

In hindsight it feels like we offered the job to McFadden because we wanted to justify having him at the club and felt like it was a punt worth taking. Who knows, perhaps if he had been paired with a manager who wasn't (allegedly) spending most of his time commuting between Brighton and Lanarkshire he might have fared a bit better but it was difficult not to feel like he had just been shanghaied into taking the job and thrown in at the deep end. It didn't really work out for either party.

As far as I'm aware he doesn't have his badges, OK he'd be part of a team and any role with Scotland is barely even part time but adding a relatively inexperienced coach to the backroom staff of the national side seems like a pretty weird move IMO.

Similarly this was the interview he gave to the BBC after he left Queens just over a month ago:

He made 15 appearances this season and says he has put in too much work to consider quitting the game at this stage.

"I'm open to offers," he said. "I've enjoyed it. I got fit and lost a good bit of weight in body fat and I never missed a day's training. "I was getting as fit as I've been in the last few years. I think I have something to offer. I played nine, 10, 11 games in a row and was starting to have a real influence."

"It was difficult at the start because I hadn't played for a while, but I was starting to really feel strong and fit. It's something I want to continue doing."

McFadden is not ready to give up playing in favour of coaching.

"I did it last year and I did enjoy it, but I missed the training," he added. "I know, when I retire, it will be because I'm ready, but I'm not ready yet."

"We'll see what comes up over the next week or two and I'll make a decision as soon as I can."

Absolutely none of that is meant as a dig and I can absolutely see why having him around the squad might be viewed as a good thing as part of a broader staff but for one of the first names mentioned to be someone who (rightly or wrongly) clearly still has an interest in a playing career and has minimal coaching experience  it just seems odd.

Appointing McFadden is a worrying sign.

He might turn out to be alright in the role, but it smacks of a cheap shorthand way of trying to get fans onside.  It also feels like a bit of a desperate attempt to somehow recreate the flukey magic of McLeish's previous stint. 

As a plan, it doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

On 16/02/2018 at 21:22, Caley Shaun said:

Sweet mother of God ...that's soul destroying

im a great advocate in inviting different coaches to each get together. 

giving us different ideas and maybe even allowing them the chance to see if the national job is something theyd want in the future.

billy mckinlay. eric black. alan irvine. jack ross. tony docherty. john collins. gary McAllister. 

the likes of them 

Daily Record saying that Peter Grant is in and Roy Aitken is a contender but no news on Andy Watson who AM had last time round :o.
I'd take Bonner for GK coach. Roy Aitken would be good imo; I'd also ask Micheal Stewart

30 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:22, Caley Shaun said:
Daily Record saying that Peter Grant is in and Roy Aitken is a contender but no news on Andy Watson who AM had last time round :o.

I'd take Bonner for GK coach. Roy Aitken would be good imo; I'd also ask Micheal Stewart

Aitken predictable choice, Bonner an interesting choice, Stewart a complete p***k, who shows no interested in coaching or am I missing the irony of his inclusion on the list?

Aitken predictable choice, Bonner an interesting choice, Stewart a complete p***k, who shows no interested in coaching or am I missing the irony of his inclusion on the list?
Stewart was a bit of a woosh based on his sportscene insights and his Yes flag flying credentials.
I read Bonners autobiography and I would take him as GK coach for his experience He no longer works for FAI, lives in Glasgow and is one of the good OF guys imo

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Stewart was a bit of a woosh based on his sportscene insights and his Yes flag flying credentials.
I read Bonners autobiography and I would take him as GK coach for his experience He no longer works for FAI, lives in Glasgow and is one of the good OF guys imo

Bonner???  You are on the wind up surely. You've made quite a few half witted posts on here, but this one takes the biscuit.

Archived