McLeish's coaching team.

Caley Shaun

Quite stupid to say these appointments don't matter, in my opinion they are absolutely critical at international level.

Any assistant manager or coaches to McLeish would have quite a detailed remit.

- Scouting players up and down the UK and watching as many games that contain potential Scotland players as possible

- Scouting potential young talent coming through

- Watching and gathering information on upcoming opposition

- Planning and implementing  varied and buzzing training sessions for the days and weeks the players are together

- Motivating and ensuring the morale is good amongst the players

- Tactical input towards the team selection and general back up advice to the manager.

Critical that McLeish doesn't appoint the same old stooges and doesn't just appoint someone with a Celtic background.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Quite stupid to say these appointments don't matter, in my opinion they are absolutely critical at international level.

Any assistant manager or coaches to McLeish would have quite a detailed remit.

- Scouting players up and down the UK and watching as many games that contain potential Scotland players as possible

- Scouting potential young talent coming through

- Watching and gathering information on upcoming opposition

- Planning and implementing  varied and buzzing training sessions for the days and weeks the players are together

- Motivating and ensuring the morale is good amongst the players

- Tactical input towards the team selection and general back up advice to the manager.

Critical that McLeish doesn't appoint the same old stooges and doesn't just appoint someone with a Celtic background.

That should be what the role entails, but did it during the past few reigns?

For me, the new manager, whoever he ended up being, should have been forming a team that meant on any given Saturday, the vast majority of eligible Scottish players were being monitored in person.  Obviously it's unrealistic to expect them to watch everyone, but with a big enough team, there's no reason why an extra-large squad of players can't be monitored by the team.  I may be wrong in the criticism, and Strachan did exactly that, but there didn't seem to be any kind of joined-up thinking between age groups, or even between members of the coaching team.  How often were members of the team seen watching matches?  

Fantasy booking style, I would have a small core of a coaching team, maybe even working part-time with their club role, that are only really called upon during international windows.  Very limited time with the players, so we need talented coaches to make the most of that.  Outside of International windows there should be a large scouting team (I've no idea how many it would take) who are exclusively tasked with judging players.  I feel like they would be a better eye than getting a good coach to do it.  These scouts should be able to get a good coverage across all eligible players, and be able to provide detailed reports regularly to the manager.  He can then use them - and his own opinions - to pick a squad.  I don't see how it needs to be any more complex than that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived