McLeish's coaching team.

Caley Shaun

Bonner???  You are on the wind up surely. You've made quite a few half witted posts on here, but this one takes the biscuit.

Explain why bonner wouldn't make a good goalkeeping coach. He was also very instrumental in the FAI's development plan in early 2000s, ROI qualified for 3 major tournament since. He's also played at the highest level and lives in Scotland

So I ask again, why would he not make a good GK coach?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Explain why bonner wouldn't make a good goalkeeping coach. He was also very instrumental in the FAI's development plan in early 2000s, ROI qualified for 3 major tournament since. He's also played at the highest level and lives in Scotland

He's an absolute dumpling that probably won't know our goalkeepers names, much less their areas of strength and weakness that he has to work on.

He's an absolute dumpling that probably won't know our goalkeepers names, much less their areas of strength and weakness that he has to work on.
The world's best coaches wouldn't know our players names, much less their areas of strength and weaknesses to work on. I'd imagine Bonner would have a wee bit of a head start on our goalkeepers if he took the job.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

He is an utter cretin. He can hardly remember who's Celtic's opponents are when watching them, never mind names of players. There are better qualified goalkeeping coaches in employment doing goalkeeping coaching who can do the job. Bonner??? Jesus wept.

Guest DAVIDB69
Should really be getting the likes of Jack Ross involved in some capacity.

Jobs for the lads with Grant and Aitken being appointed.

I really can't see this ending in disappointment and failure.

Roy aitken is 60 this year, Peter Grant is 53 so it’s good to see we are looking forward and getting young coaches involved

To be fair to JLD, Bonner's utter fannybawness as a commentator doesn't necessarily mean he would be a terrible goalkeeping coach. They're two different things. Faddy is the weird choice here, for reasons already stated. 

I'm just hacked off that the appointment of the most important job in Scottish football has been treated with contempt by the SFA. The backroom staff is fag packet nonsense too.

18 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
18 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:
He is an utter cretin. He can hardly remember who's Celtic's opponents are when watching them, never mind names of players. There are better qualified goalkeeping coaches in employment doing goalkeeping coaching who can do the job. Bonner??? Jesus wept.

Who?

Probably every goalkeeping coach in the Scottish Premiership.

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

And have they played at the highest level, have they been GK coaches at the highest level, have they been instrumental in grass roots development plans?

Names please? Let's not cloud this by shite commentary....

Doesn't mean to say that you've played at a high level that you are good. When was the last time Bonner coached? The present day coaches are already in the game and up to speed at modern day techniques of a goalkeeper. The only shite commentary is from yourself who can't see what a buffoon Bonner is. 

Explain why bonner wouldn't make a good goalkeeping coach. He was also very instrumental in the FAI's development plan in early 2000s, ROI qualified for 3 major tournament since. He's also played at the highest level and lives in Scotland So I ask again, why would he not make a good GK coach?

He has taken little interest in the Scottish game since he has left going by his punditry but given his previous roles with the FAI thats not the worst shout. I read his book a year or two ago and at one point I think he was head of their development. He also has experience as gk coach at club and international level.

ETA - was he not also Tommy Burns assistant manager at Reading?

33 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Doesn't mean to say that you've played at a high level that you are good. When was the last time Bonner coached? The present day coaches are already in the game and up to speed at modern day techniques of a goalkeeper. The only shite commentary is from yourself who can't see what a buffoon Bonner is. 

I find people on here suggesting they are aware of 'modern day techniques' and a top level professional goalkeeper isn't hilarious.  Hubris off the charts.  How do you know there even is such a thing?  You don't. 

He has taken little interest in the Scottish game since he has left going by his punditry but given his previous roles with the FAI thats not the worst shout. I read his book a year or two ago and at one point I think he was head of their development. He also has experience as gk coach at club and international level.

ETA - was he not also Tommy Burns assistant manager at Reading?

He was head of FAI development through the 2000s and GK and GK coach at latter stages of major tournaments. Was also very influential in the careers of Gordon Marshall and Shay Given. Him and Tommy did go down to London for a couple of years with mixed results.
Basing his suitability on his commentary only is a bit moronic tbh

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

He was head of FAI development through the 2000s and GK and GK coach at latter stages of major tournaments. Was also very influential in the careers of Gordon Marshall and Shay Given. Him and Tommy did go down to London for a couple of years with mixed results.
Basing his suitability on his commentary only is a bit moronic tbh

Good post.  Nobody here is even qualified to pass comment on Bonners suitability myself included.

The "not qualified to pass comment" schtick is always pretty dubious in my opinion. This is a fitba fans' forum for the national team and anyone who has an interest in that team has a right to pass comment. Bonner may have qualifications and experience, but his obvious buffoonery and his cringeing bias towards all things Celtic gives people enough reason to doubt him. 

He may be an excellent coach, but the stakeheholders in his employment (the fans) have deep reservations given the above stated. 

I don't entirely share their objections, but they are entitled and, yes, qualified to give opinion and objection.

On all else we seem to largely agree.

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

The "not qualified to pass comment" schtick is always pretty dubious in my opinion. This is a fitba fans' forum for the national team and anyone who has an interest in that team has a right to pass comment. Bonner may have qualifications and experience, but his obvious buffoonery and his cringeing bias towards all things Celtic gives people enough reason to doubt him. 

He may be an excellent coach, but the stakeheholders in his employment (the fans) have deep reservations given the above stated. 

I don't entirely share their objections, but they are entitled and, yes, qualified to give opinion and objection.

On all else we seem to largely agree.

They're not remotely qualified.  None of us are.  

Archived