Contact lenses

I wear contact lenses and have done since I was 16. Much prefer them to my glasses but I'll usually put my glasses on when I get in from work or if I'm just lazing about the house. Lenses are a pain in the arse and if I could get laser surgery I would but I'm not eligible. 

Had a torrid time with my een last year when my vision deteriorated in my right eye. I just assumed it was my prescription needing altered but then started getting, what could only be described as a curtain, coming over my eye when I looked left to right. Turns out it was a detached retina and I had to get rushed up to Ninewells for emergency surgery. Apart from the stresses of that this all happened two weeks prior to me being due to fly to Florida and as expected flying is usually a big no no after eye surgery. Thankfully the procedure I had done meant I was able to fly and we managed the holiday.  Surprisingly I was allowed to wear my contacts lenses within days of the operation.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wore contacts for years, daily disposables. No real issue with them tbh, eyes can get a bit gritty and tired if in too long. Found them a bit annoying if I was say on holiday and wanted a nap on beach... can't really do that or eyes are sore when wake up.
Got the the corrective surgery done about 2 yrs ago. Uncomfortable for few hrs, eyes are tender for a few weeks and then brilliant. One of the best things I ever did. Aftercare showed I had 6 5 vision or c20 17 vision in imperial. Basically I can see from 6 metres what a person before eye deterioration can see from 5m. Really recommend you to get it done.

Folk who got the surgery done; where did you get it done, and how much was it?

I have considered it for years but never got it done. Folk I know who have had it done have paid between 2.5-4K but you can pay it off over years. A girl I know just got it done and she is amazed at how good it’s been and wishes she done it earlier so it’s well worth a consultation at least.

Got mines done at optical express in Glasgow. Cost just under 2 grand 10 years ago and that was going for the latest 'wavefront' technology. Prescription before was 2.25 and 2.5 . Best thing I've ever done . Eyes stung like a b*****d for a few hours after it but within minutes I could already read things further away than my gf at the time who had never needed glasses.

50 minutes ago, throbber said:

I have considered it for years but never got it done. Folk I know who have had it done have paid between 2.5-4K but you can pay it off over years. A girl I know just got it done and she is amazed at how good it’s been and wishes she done it earlier so it’s well worth a consultation at least.

I've been for a consultation and they said I could get it done. Would cost just over £3k. There was an option of paying it off but it was £500 upfront then the rest, and given my comical financial record I doubt I'd get the credit for it.

44 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Got mines done at optical express in Glasgow. Cost just under 2 grand 10 years ago and that was going for the latest 'wavefront' technology. Prescription before was 2.25 and 2.5 . Best thing I've ever done . Eyes stung like a b*****d for a few hours after it but within minutes I could already read things further away than my gf at the time who had never needed glasses.

Aye I went to the one in Dundee for a consultation

Folk do realise the results of laser eye surgery only last about 10-15 years don't they?

Might get it done when I'm in my 40s but not now.
And this is based on what ? It's a permanent correction to the cornea , it doesn't just 'wear off'. If your eyesight was continually deteriorating then that would get flagged up pre surgery and you would be advised as unsuitable for the procedure. Age related macular degeneration is a separate issue to long/short sightedness so obviously laser when your young doesn't mean you won't need reading glasses when your older. Waiting till your 40s to get it done given your timescale theory just means you potentially have less time to enjoy being free from glasses.

10 years since I had it done and eyesight still exactly the same as 1 year after surgery , better than 20/20. At the time stats showed about a 0.5% chance that I'll ever need glasses for the same problem that got corrected and I'm pretty sure that the technology has greatly improved since then.

Folk do realise the results of laser eye surgery only last about 10-15 years don't they?

Might get it done when I'm in my 40s but not now.

Even if this were true, subscriptions for contact lenses cost £20 - £30 a month so even if the results had worn off after 10 years you would be no worse off. Unless of course your eyes fell out.

I used to wear the old style hard contact lenses, now they were a real b*****d to get in and out .

my son wears the corrective lenses that you wear overnight which corrects the curvature of your eye , you take them out during the day , and bobs your uncle perfect vision . These came out at the same time as laser surgery and never became popular 

11 hours ago, throbber said:

Even if this were true, subscriptions for contact lenses cost £20 - £30 a month so even if the results had worn off after 10 years you would be no worse off. Unless of course your eyes fell out.

It was true in my case - except it started wearing off after about 8 years.  The surgeon was very clear about this being expected.  Basically, the surgery returns the eye to perfect vision but doesn't cure whatever caused the problem in the first place, so it will start again and your vision will naturally deteriorate over time as everyone's does. 

Edit to add - my eyes haven't fallen out. Yet.

It was true in my case - except it started wearing off after about 8 years.  The surgeon was very clear about this being expected.  Basically, the surgery returns the eye to perfect vision but doesn't cure whatever caused the problem in the first place, so it will start again and your vision will naturally deteriorate over time as everyone's does. 
Edit to add - my eyes haven't fallen out. Yet.

Would you have said it was still worth it though?

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

Would you have said it was still worth it though?

A difficult one.  It cost me 2.5k back in 2001 or 2002, and I had a reasonable income then so I didn't think it was too expensive.  Now, I'd say no.   In fairness, my vision now is better than it was before I had Lasik so it had some long-term benefit.

A difficult one.  It cost me 2.5k back in 2001 or 2002, and I had a reasonable income then so I didn't think it was too expensive.  Now, I'd say no.   In fairness, my vision now is better than it was before I had Lasik so it had some long-term benefit.

I’m not totally suitable for it as one of my eyes is much weaker and there isn’t much they can do to improve it. My right eye is strong and with a lens in I can see perfectly at the opticians so have never been bothered chasing it up any further.

I got lazer treatment about 10 years ago. Beat thing I ever did.
Had contacts from 21, never a problem with putting them in, however, taking them is a different story.
Once, went a New Year All night in Birmingham at the end of the day I was scratching my eyeball trying to take this little fucker out. Nothing there and had to go to hospital a few days later as my eye was fucked. Drugs don't work on that situation.
Moved to monthly soon after that, as someone said I would get eye infection often.
Save up get eye lazer.

i had to get lenses when i was 13 as my sight was so bad when playing football under flood lights. started with daily disposables but soon changed to monthly. mine now i only need to change once a month bit usually take them out every other night.

about a week after i first got lenses i was taking them out and dropped one of them. i thought it was still on my eye and ended up picking part of my cornea off. i was panicking about all these horror stories you hear about folk getting them stuck on their eyes!

Archived