Contact lenses

Are there any contact lens wearers on Pie and Bovril?

I recently started wearing them and my vision is greatly improved. My peripheral vision was always obscured by the Elvis Costello-esque specs I was wearing but I can see everything now.

I was put off contacts for years because my friend Chantal had them and said they were shite and stuck to her eyeballs.

They're tricky to put in at first but they're a piece of piss now.

Does anyone have any contact lens stories?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I recently started wearing them and my vision is greatly improved. My peripheral vision was always obscured by the Elvis Costello-esque specs I was wearing but I can see everything now.

I was put off contacts for years because my friend Chantal had them and said they were shite and stuck to her eyeballs.

Was working at a theatre at the corner of Leicester Square when a bomb went off, nobody hurt. The police were on their knees combing the area for evidence when I was at stage door for a smoke. An American lady tourist asked me what was going on, told her that Princess Di had lost a contact lens. 

39 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Contact lens wearers are disgusting, eye touching scum. They should all be shot.

Aye. In their vain vain eyes. 

I'd love to wear contact lenses but I'm too squeamish. Hence also why no laser eye surgery. 

#speccytillidie #noglassnoclass #myopiautopia

I wear contact lenses. Have done for about seven years now. My eyesight is absolutely atrocious and started deteriorating rapidly from the age of about 9 onwards. Finally bit the bullet and made an appointment to get contacts as people thought I was ignoring them when in reality I just couldn't see them. As the OP said they're a b*****d to get in and out at the start but eventually it becomes second nature to you.

Also took me a while to realise that they're sometimes inside out when you open them which is why it won't settle on your eye, so a wee tip there if that ever happens to you.

I tried contact lenses in the past. I had so much trouble putting them in and removing them, I decided to go for the monthly continuous wear type over the daily disposibles but ended up getting infections in both my eyes, so went back to glasses. If the Buddy Holly type frames are obscuring your view, could you not try a rimless frame instead? That's the type I always wear now.

I have had them since I was 14. They originally wanted to start me with daily disposable however they were unsuitable for me for years so I had to persevere with monthly ones that I had to clean overnight in solution. This was obviously a nightmare after nights out and when I did ever fall asleep with them in then my eyes would be dry and caked shut the next morning. Have had daily disposables for the last few years now and they are just great, vision is the best it’s ever been and don’t have to worry about taking them out and cleaning them at the end of the day.

8 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Speccy c**t found.

Apologies, I misread the original post.  Contact lenses are an excellent innovation in eyecare and I wish nothing but the best for those who wear them.

8 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I tried contact lenses in the past. I had so much trouble putting them in and removing them, I decided to go for the monthly continuous wear type over the daily disposibles but ended up getting infections in both my eyes, so went back to glasses. If the Buddy Holly type frames are obscuring your view, could you not try a rimless frame instead? That's the type I always wear now.

I am the opposite, I wear dailies because the monthlies infected my eyes. It is often just trial and error, you should give the dailies a go again, you might find they suit your eyes much better. When it comes to hassle getting them in and out it is like anything, just practice, practice, practice.

Had them for about 15 years now. Best thing I have ever done. Took a couple of days to get used to them but would struggle to go back t glasses. Mines are meant to be good for 14 days at a time, cleaned every night. Expensive habit over here but worth every penny.

I tried them and was fine with them, problem is they didn't really suit my needs as I only wear geggs for driving, Cinema etc so wearing them all the time wasn't helping me much, particularly when in front of the computer screen. Had  consultation for the laser but they said prescription wasn't strong enough for it.

I've had a few appointments at the opticians for them. Each time I've left in shame as I just can't get them in. The opticians put them in for me and I like them, and have no issues wearing them but when I tried each time I've spent a good 30 minutes trying, and failing, to do it, to the point where each time the optician has been visibly seething with me. One time I actually ran away when then optician left to go and get something such was my shame.

Want to get laser eye surgery, but it's circa £3k, something I don't have. Absolutely hate wearing glasses and only started to do so all time a few years ago.

Just order a free trial of cheap dailys to practice at home and try to remember that the finger doesn't actually come into contact with your eye with normal use. 

With the monthlys I wear, I may as well have had the laser surgery but I'm only paying £20 pcm. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I've had a few appointments at the opticians for them. Each time I've left in shame as I just can't get them in. The opticians put them in for me and I like them, and have no issues wearing them but when I tried each time I've spent a good 30 minutes trying, and failing, to do it, to the point where each time the optician has been visibly seething with me. One time I actually ran away when then optician left to go and get something such was my shame.

Want to get laser eye surgery, but it's circa £3k, something I don't have. Absolutely hate wearing glasses and only started to do so all time a few years ago.

The opticians show you fucking stupid ways of putting lenses in and taking them out. 

Lenses are great for nights out and playing sports, otherwise I don't mind wearing specs. Like others have said, putting in and taking out contact lenses gets so much easier over time. I've only had them since August and have probably only worn/applied them about 25 times and it's already a piece of piss.

Just don't cut chillies before putting them in, as I found to be a painful experience last night. 

Archived