Elgin city v Montrose

mo83

Let's get this thread started.....Must win game again,but we have been saying that every week.Very hard game in store but our away form is very impressive and we can take confidence with that.

Looking forward to the game. Best home record in league against one of if not the best away record. I don’t believe Elgin are a top 4 team at the moment but our home record keeps us hanging in there. Not too confident about tomorrow. I can’t see us scoring more than one against Montrose’s we’ll organised defence and can’t see us keeping a clean sheet! Hope I’m wrong.

With our nearest challengers also dropping points, glad we took something from this game. Good timing for Gary Fraser's goal. Inspired substitution it seems. Big congrat's to Martin Rennie on opening his scoring account with the Mo. today. May it be the first of many. Berwick away next week: not easy but after that, every game a cup final as we hit the home straight with the final fixture against each team in the League. No easy games, nothing to take for granted but what an opportunity the Mo now have...

I have seen some shocking referees but today's was the worst ever. I am sure you should get booked for jumping into the crowd and last time I looked you should get sent off when you punch someone. Had Montrose been down to 9 men as they should Elgin would have won. Cannot believe Montrose are league leaders. At times they looked woeful. V disappointed with a draw but stick in Elgin. we can still make the play offs.

I have seen some shocking referees but today's was the worst ever. I am sure you should get booked for jumping into the crowd and last time I looked you should get sent off when you punch someone. Had Montrose been down to 9 men as they should Elgin would have won. Cannot believe Montrose are league leaders. At times they looked woeful. V disappointed with a draw but stick in Elgin. we can still make the play offs.

You raging?

Decent game despite a lot of poor officialling - I was dreading a red card for Fraser's post goal celebration but we got away with it. Elgin created plenty today and only a couple of great saves stopped them. As usual now, this Montrose side doesn't give in even when not playing 100% (no Allan definitely made the backline look less steady than normal) and grinds results. 

Still all as you were really with Peterhead to return serve on Tuesday...

Thouraghly enjoyed the game. Thought we were unlucky to not win in the end but guess Montrose would say they deserved a point. Good all round performance against a well organised and stuffy team.  Peterhead still best team we have played but they seem to enjoy playing and spanking us! Can see Montrose winning league though.  Was quite pleased with our defence, thought they handled Templeman well, soft second goal aside. I don’t like criticising refs as I believe poor decisions are part of the game and even themselves up over a season but, he cannot be pleased with his performance, Fraser should have been booked and therefore off, number 5 forearmed Sutherland in face, not even a booking and definite foul on Reilly in build up to first goal. We must be due a fair bit of dodgy decisions in our favour! Hope Mo go on to win league and show that smaller spending teams can be successful. The transformation from the team I saw Elgin gub at Links Park last season is remarkable.

It was a very entertaining game, and whilst I can understand calls for a carding for exuberant celebrations after Montrose’s 1st equaliser, the facts are that when Fraser scored, he ran directly to one of the very loyal Montrose fans, to celebrate the goal. Yes, things got out of hand, but Fraser never did anything out of hand.

I missed the game as I've been away so can't comment on the details. But, I think it's fair to say that every team in this division could and do complain about refereeing and we have no alternative but to just get on with it. Fraser was actually sent off either earlier this season or the end of last for going to a small boy behind the goals after a vital goal he scored. Problem was the rest of the crowd descended on him as well. So, yes a rule's a rule and we have to get on with that as well whatever we think of it. I would say commonsense has to come into it but equally you have to have consistency.

Somebody above said 'I can't believe Montrose are league leaders - they were woeful at times.' He's not wrong is he? There have been games where we have been woeful as well as those where we have been brilliant but the fact is we have more points than anyone else in L2 at present so if we are woeful then everybody else needs to take a close look at themselves and ask why the Mo are top.

Mo Dynawoes as do foo's yir doos Toon's Blues...

And the award for the most boringly predictable, highly unimaginative as usual headline* goes to...

(*Should technically be marked down for grammatical error due to its omission of an "Oxford" comma, since only one team currently leads the division. However in this judge's opinion, this only further enhances its dross factor. )

Pause, 

BBC for this little beauty:

Scottish League Two: Leaders Montrose and Peterhead slip up

Montrose are top of the league on merit. Grinding out results when not at your best is what separates the best from the rest. Enjoyed yesterday’s game and thought there wasn’t much between the teams. A draw was fair. The ref didn’t have a grip on the game and allowed far too much Montrose players to challenge his decisions, but in my experience that’s what the top teams do.
Hope Montrose go on to win the league.

Archived