Aberdeen V Kilmarnock

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Talking of getting yourself in a state......   
Manager Derek McInnes said Aberdeen had got the "big result" they had been looking for in the Scottish Cup penalty shootout win over Kilmarnock.

Really? A team which has been built over the past 5 years classing a penalty shootout win over, a work in progress 5 months in the making, as THE (not a) "big result".

Some ambition Del if stalemate over 210 mins of football against Killie is your measurement of success [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

That's just life under the juggernaut, even a draw is seen as major acievement.

Enjoyed that.

I'd only twice visited Rugby Park previously, and it had left the impression of making the Pittodrie atmosphere for an Accies game in the McGhee era seem like the Belgrade derby.

Completely different story last night, proper occasion under the floodlights and great support from both sets of fans.

Game wasn't pretty and likely dire watching for a neutral, but you could just tell what it meant as no player was being allowed any time on the ball. I had no complaints with McInnes' team selection this time, but our creative triumvirate of Mackay-Steven, McGinn and Christie were our most ineffective players. Likewise Jones was kept quiet, bar the occasion two of our players were booked in one of his runs.

Winning on pens is fun - apart from the 1990 cup final we never used to do that until McInnes arrived.

The rule about two bookings is nonsense - and being without Shinnie and McLean, who was the best player on the park last night, for the semi is a complete john selwyn gummer

McLean's didn't even seem a booking and one of several decisions the officials got wrong. Shay looked like he was barged off the ball illegally prior to the opening goal for instance.

Not sure if the size of the occasion got to Kilmarnock a bit, but for the most part I felt reasonably confident we would somehow get through that, and only for spell in the second half were we under any sustained pressure.

Chidi showed up well in extra time and will need game time in the coming matches as he'll play at Hampden.

Enjoyed Chidi's performance I have to say. A shame he's not taller because he puts himself about as best he can, but doesn't have the physicality to really dominate a midfield. 

I liked his shooting, mostly because I was safely not sitting in the stand behind the goal or near the corner flag lol

Can’t believe some of the headsgones from my fellow Killie fans, both here and at the end last night.

Aberdeen fans and players celebrated exactly as we would.

As for the Clarke comments about the SFA can someone direct me to these? I listened to the radio interview on the way home and heard no mention of this.

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Talking of getting yourself in a state......  

Manager Derek McInnes said Aberdeen had got the "big result" they had been looking for in the Scottish Cup penalty shootout win over Kilmarnock.

Really? A team which has been built over the past 5 years classing a penalty shootout win over, a work in progress 5 months in the making, as THE (not a) "big result".

Some ambition Del if stalemate over 210 mins of football against Killie is your measurement of success emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

So let me get this right. He's being respectful of Kilmarnock, acknowledging last night was a big game and result, and a Killie fan of all people is slagging him off for it?

22 minutes ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

I liked his shooting, mostly because I was safely not sitting in the stand behind the goal or near the corner flag lol

He pulled a decent stop from MacDonald once, but aye mostly his shooting was poor. 

He's capable though.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You obviously haven’t been watching Aberdeen this season, as this was the first match where Graeme “he’s one of our own” Shinnie wasn’t booked for his first tackle. Also last night, is Adam Rooney the first ever player to be booked for persistent fouling after his first foul?

You normally talk quite a lot of sense but this is garbage  - he should have been booked when he clattered into McDonald long after he had already cleared the ball.  It was at least his 4th foul by the time he was booked. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

The rule about two bookings is nonsense - and being without Shinnie and McLean, who was the best player on the park last night, for the semi is a complete john selwyn gummer

McLean's didn't even seem a booking and one of several decisions the officials got wrong. Shay looked like he was barged off the ball illegally prior to the opening goal for instance.

I have never seen what people see in him, even when he played for St Mirren.  Most of my friends are St Mirren fans and they raved about him, yet I just couldn't see it and still don't. Shine, who I can't stand is a far better player IMO.

I thought it was a foul at the time and having seen it again I still think Brophy fouls Logan - When you consider how many petty fouls Steven McLean blew for last night I find it amazing he didn't see that as a foul. 

That boy Shinnie is a distinctly unlikeable ratbag. 90 minutes of moaning, fouling, diving, sneaky stuff. Obviously inheriting Broonaldo's 20-foul threshold for a yellow card.
Mr McLean btw is a pretty crap ref, and that's a general statement not with any Killie bias. Who assesses these incompetents' performance?

And erm what about Mulumbu persistent fouling on the edge of the box ?

OK on to last night's game.

Killie pies are still fvkkin great even after a 30+ year absence by yours truly.

Game itself was very stuffy (aka shyte) for the best part of 90 mins.  Truly eyebleeding.  I sent some mates a text saying the most entertaining thing was watching the grass grow.

McGinn, GMS and Christie were all well below par.  I also thought McLean was poor (in 90 mins).

Didn't think much of Killie either, so maybe it was the congested midfield that was to blame.

Going into extra time felt like a punishment, and I thought the only honourable thing to do was for both teams to withdraw from the tournament!

Killie's goal was a comedy.  Massive hoof from defensive area, massive "TWOINGGGG!" Sound from pitch, massive misjudgement from Logan on how high he could jump, and a nudge that made sure he didn't make it.

Penalty equally bizarre!  Why! Simply why?!

Plus points; 

May, simply added direction to our attack.  Kept the Killie back line honest and had we threaded a proper ball to him then who knows?

McLean further forward!  Feck me the boy has some spring in him.  Won numerous headers and flick ons.

Nwakali - not seen much of him, but he was a game changer IMHO.  Buzzed about and gave us great drive and pace.  Also his second shot at goal... WOW!  It must have bent 5 ft.  I'd love to see a replay!

O'Conner - was terrific, surprised me no end and his sprint to Dons fans after Pens, was much appreciated.

McKenna - my MOTM.  Fvk me thon loon has talent and then some.

Finally Killie FC and their fans.  Great turnout, great pies, top staff and gracious fans.  A big thank you from me after what must have been a gutting experience.  Football as it should be!

Yours, we dodged a bullet.

aDONis

17 hours ago, kbp1960 said:

Offside says Linesman, Steven McLean “ I’m unsighted”, chalk it off, Killie not allowed to win

1A214287-51F5-4430-86CE-A3820E892083.jpeg

This is absolutely definitive.

between this, and having to play some other matches, I can see why Killie feel hard done by. 

Replay earned by soft, played for, gamesmanshippy penalty was lost= natural justice.

7 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

O'Conner - was terrific, surprised me no end and his sprint to Dons fans after Pens, was much appreciated.

McKenna - my MOTM.  Fvk me thon loon has talent and then some.

This.

O'Connor I have criticised many times as I generally think he's pretty pish but he was very solid on Tuesday.  Said to my mate at the game that he was just keeping things simple, just defending, shows he's capable of it.  And steaming into the away end after the pens was fucking fantastic.

Mckenna as well, spot on.  Brilliant performance.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I have never seen what people see in him, even when he played for St Mirren.  Most of my friends are St Mirren fans and they raved about him, yet I just couldn't see it and still don't. Shine, who I can't stand is a far better player IMO.

Up until fairly recently, most Dons fans would probably have said the same. But since the turn of the year he's been consistently outstanding and along with McKenna is doing his utmost to drag us out of this dip in form (despite not actually being a Dons player).

He's much, much better when pushed a bit further forward into what is his natural position just behind the forward line. It's amazing the number of high balls he wins, and I'm only sorry we didn't always use McLean to the best of his abilities at Pittodrie in the time he was here. If he's played correctly at Norwich, there's no reason why he can't become a mainstay of the Scotland team as well.

And since I mentioned him, a shout-out once again to Scott McKenna. It's a credit to him that since being catapulted into the limelight by being associated with international football, he seems to have grown another 5 inches in height and 10 years in experience......he's still young and will inevitably make mistakes, but if he continues to progress at the rate he's going he'll be an established internationalist (and at a bigger club than Aberdeen) in the next few years.

Archived