Aberdeen V Kilmarnock

Steve Clarke expressed his pride in his Kilmarnock players after their Scottish Cup quarter-final defeat to Aberdeen on penalties.

Stephen O'Donnell put Killie ahead in extra time only for Kenny McLean to equalise from the spot to take the match to a shootout.

Having picked up wins over St Johnstone and Ross County heading into the match, Killie have had to face successive midweek matches following our trip to Tynecastle in late February. 

"I just felt towards the end we looked a little bit jaded, mentally and physically," Clarke said.

"We had six games in 18 days, it's a big ask to play extra-time. That's why I am proud of the players, I thought they were magnificent.

"Aberdeen in the same period of time played three games. Maybe towards the end that was just a crucial little factor in the outcome.

"So, thanks to the fixture panels and the Scottish league and the SFA, we have had a hell of a run of games."

A crowd of 8998 were inside Rugby Park with Clarke keen to praise the impact of the home supporters.

He added:  "It's a great little reminder for everyone around Kilmarnock, everybody around this part of the world that we're a decent club.

"We're a club that if we can get it right on the pitch, we've shown with the crowd tonight that we can get it right off the pitch and we can be regulars in the top six and in the latter stages of the domestic cups.

"That's got to be the ambition for everybody here. Tonight is a little step in the right direction.

"The more often you get to quarter finals and semi finals the more likely that you progress in the tournament so that's what we have to do." 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just home from that.

I’m sure most have commented that in terms of quality it was a dreadful game of football.

But to my mind it was a proper cup tie and enjoyed it in many ways.

Great to rugby park bouncing like it was, shows the potential. Last few visits have been quite depressing from a home crowd perspective so was pleased to see that atmosphere. 1,500 from us for a Tuesday night was also pretty good imo. Happy to see we got behind the team from the start and the negativity from previous games was put to one side.

Very little in the game. I thought we edged the first half without playing particularly well. However second half for large spells I thought killie were all over us and we were fortunate to stay in it.

I didn’t really see what happened in the first half with the potential sending off. Looked like he might have aimed a kick but didn’t get enough of a view it to comment.

Definite penalty for me albeit from the other end of the ground. Brilliant lifeline for us when I thought we were dead and buried. After that I felt we were the only team going to win it and pens is just gruesome. Horrible to be a part of.

I’m fucking exhausted now after that emotional turmoil. Hopefully kicks off a bit of momentum for us now. We shall see.

Cheers for that killie, it was brutal but great atmosphere and great contest [emoji1303]

I've watched Shay Logan f**k that up a few times now and I think I might have to break up my man crush with him. This is going to be a difficult time for me. 
Shitey skynews highlights.

I was going mental at shay at the game, it was right in front of me. He had a cheek crying for a foul. He completely fucked it up.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was going mental at shay at the game, it was right in front of me. He had a cheek crying for a foul. He completely fucked it up.

I'm always going to love him, we'l have some special memories but after all we've been through this season I think it's time we started seeing other right backs.

Just home from that.

I’m sure most have commented that in terms of quality it was a dreadful game of football.

But to my mind it was a proper cup tie and enjoyed it in many ways.

Great to rugby park bouncing like it was, shows the potential. Last few visits have been quite depressing from a home crowd perspective so was pleased to see that atmosphere. 1,500 from us for a Tuesday night was also pretty good imo. Happy to see we got behind the team from the start and the negativity from previous games was put to one side.

Very little in the game. I thought we edged the first half without playing particularly well. However second half for large spells I thought killie were all over us and we were fortunate to stay in it.

I didn’t really see what happened in the first half with the potential sending off. Looked like he might have aimed a kick but didn’t get enough of a view it to comment.

Definite penalty for me albeit from the other end of the ground. Brilliant lifeline for us when I thought we were dead and buried. After that I felt we were the only team going to win it and pens is just gruesome. Horrible to be a part of.

I’m fucking exhausted now after that emotional turmoil. Hopefully kicks off a bit of momentum for us now. We shall see.

Cheers for that killie, it was brutal but great atmosphere and great contest [emoji1303]

IMO, hard to disagree with any of this.

I was in the Frank Beattie so didn't have a clear view of the cause of the melee over on the East stand side.

My only surprise is, that imposter of a ref, Steven McLean didn't send McKenzie off. Some of the decisions he made for both sides was nothing short of baffling.

Commiserations Killie. I thought you were absolutely robbed there. 

Not a brilliant match all told, but thought over the 90 minutes you had the best of it. Power, Dicker and Mulumbu got the better of Shinnie and McLean. Shay Logan's passing was fucking atrocious. Christie and GMS were poor. Nothing in the first half, but Killie had the best chances in the second. Thought Brophy looked decent up top. 

Defensively both teams were very strong. O'Connor and McKenna were huge, and the Killie CBs dominated Rooney, who to be fair did a power of work.

Subs made us a better team overall i thought. Nwakali helped us get a grip on the midfield, and May gave us an option over the top. We managed to create some space and stretch the game a little. 

Killie's goal was deserved, and Logan can have no complaints. He was ragdolled by a strong forward and should have just cleared it. As soon as the ball bounced I knew we were in trouble. 

May's pen looked a stonewaller from where I was stood, although admittedly the other side of the ground. I was directly side on and the shirt was tugged. A soft one to give away, careless, but a penalty nonetheless. We really kicked on following the goal and looked the more likely  to get the winner, although yous  did  have a goal disallowed. Not a clue whether it was on or offside. Ref was  horrendous for both sides.  Utterly appalling, particularly in the first half. I'll admit I missed the McKenzie incident, but my pal who I was with said it was a stick on. 

Penalties. McInnes gets a lot of stick for a lack of bottle, but a 100% record in shoot outs is very impressive. Take me to Hampden. Revenge for the League Cup quarter!! Bring on the 'Well!!

Commiserations Killie. I thought you were absolutely robbed there. 
Not a brilliant match all told, but thought over the 90 minutes you had the best of it. Power, Dicker and Mulumbu got the better of Shinnie and McLean. Shay Logan's passing was fucking atrocious. Christie and GMS were poor. Nothing in the first half, but Killie had the best chances in the second. Thought Brophy looked decent up top. 
Defensively both teams were very strong. O'Connor and McKenna were huge, and the Killie CBs dominated Rooney, who to be fair did a power of work.
Subs made us a better team overall i thought. Nwakali helped us get a grip on the midfield, and May gave us an option over the top. We managed to create some space and stretch the game a little. 
Killie's goal was deserved, and Logan can have no complaints. He was ragdolled by a strong forward and should have just cleared it. As soon as the ball bounced I knew we were in trouble. 
May's pen looked a stonewaller from where I was stood, although admittedly the other side of the ground. I was directly side on and the shirt was tugged. A soft one to give away, careless, but a penalty nonetheless. We really kicked on following the goal and looked the more likely  to get the winner, although yous  did  have a goal disallowed. Not a clue whether it was on or offside. Ref was  horrendous for both sides.  Utterly appalling, particularly in the first half. I'll admit I missed the McKenzie incident, but my pal who I was with said it was a stick on. 
Penalties. McInnes gets a lot of stick for a lack of bottle, but a 100% record in shoot outs is very impressive. Take me to Hampden. Revenge for the League Cup quarter!! Bring on the 'Well!!

Your very generous on your appraisal but Aberdeen were just too streetwise at this stage of the competition for Killie. We have came on leaps and bounds over a very short time but to get to semis and finals we need to be more ruthless. Aberdeen are a great side with some top class players (some fall over a wee bit too easy) but they just need to believe in themselves to get over that Old Firm hurdle.
All the best for the rest of the competition and with a bit more Stevie time at RP hopefully we’ll be there at the later stages too in the future.

4 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

That's a sore one to take.

Think first thing to comment on is probably what I spent most time discussing during the match - the referee. He has to be the worst in Scotland. He's not biased, he's just awful for both teams. Both set of fans booed him off the park at HT! Spent so much time talking about him which is the opposite of how a good ref should be - you shouldn't really notice him.

By consensus, Rory should have been sent off for aiming a kick at the Aberdeen man (wrong side of the pitch for me to have a clear view)
Boyd had his shirt pulled half way up his chest about half a dozen times in the first half and got none of them - in fact one was given the opposite way for a claim of backing in by Boydie!
After not awarding free kicks against Aberdeen for loads of blatant fouls, he's then given Kenny McLean an outrageous yellow for what wasn't even a foul!
In extra time, Shay Logan gives away a foul in his channel when Jones knocks the ball past him and Logan decides to take the deliberate foul by kicking JJ. The most blatant second yellow you'll see and the ref completely bottles it. Moments later, Logan throws the ball in to the box to win the penalty.
Hard to comment on whether the penalty was the right shout - our group were split 50/50 between "Yes, he was getting his shirt pulled" and "No, May was backing in looking for it". Can't feel too aggrieved at that one as our defender gave the ref a decision to make.
He then disallows what seems a perfectly good goal by Brophy that would have won us the game.

He's then up the tunnel while 3/4 of the players are still on the pitch, so misses Aberdeen players goading Killie fans etc - one of the most basic rules for a referee and he gets it wrong. The man is a complete walloper.

Not one of those nights where you'd blame the ref for the result, I just felt he really ruined the cup tie.

On the game itself, I thought we really rode our luck first half, especially given we should probably have lost a man. Our goal led a bit of a charmed life. Aberdeen set their stall out well, McInnes obviously recognising that so much of our good play involves not lumping the ball forward and going through that midfield three. I thought they did really well getting right in on the midfield and giving them no time. How many passes did Dicker and Power misplace? Uncharacteristic.

Second half I was expecting the usual Steve Clarke response. It was a little slower in coming than usual but by about the hour mark we really grew in to the game and I thought our spell in that period of the game was the best spell either team had in the match. Couldn't believe we didn't score second half.

Into extra time and the goal was fantastic. A brilliant ball by Jones, excellent play by Brophy and such good awareness to pass to O'Donnell, who took the goal well. I thought that was it. Sickening to then lose an equaliser so quickly (after playing the guts of an hour and forty five without conceding, to then concede minutes after scoring!) Also a horrible feeling to celebrate what you think is the winner for Brophy only to see it chopped off. Jamie keeps us in the tie with that last minute save!

Once it goes to penalties, we have no complaints. I don't accept that penalties are a lottery - you only have to look at the records of Germany, or a Graham Alexander, to see it's something that can be nailed down. Brophy's run-up was appalling and you could tell he was never scoring. Taylor and Kiltie's penalties were crap too. Even the fourth, O'Donnell's, we were lucky to score it after Woodman got a good hand to it. Thought he did really well with his saves but we made it too easy for him.

The bit in bold. I didn't see any Aberdeen players goading the home support. But when Killie score O'Donnell and half the team were gesturing to the Aberdeen fans, so fairs fair.

Poor game but we are through. Killie could easily have gone through as little between the teams. As others have said it was great to see a large crowd at Rugby park. Hopefully crowds of that level become a regular thing. 

6 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'm always going to love him, we'l have some special memories but after all we've been through this season I think it's time we started seeing other right backs.

We can have a trial separation on 14th April.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Not a thing of beauty, but considering the current form of the side that was the kind of  hard-fought win that they deserve nothing but credit for.

Going a goal down in extra-time when we were the better team was a kick in the baws, but they did brilliantly to pick themselves up and come back. I thought Kenny McLean was excellent once again (as he has been in every game this year), and McKenna put in the type of of no-nonsense, strong performance that has seen him deservedly called up to the Scotland squad.

The semi-final will be hard, especially as we're missing Logan (weak again last night on the goal), Shinnie and especially Mclean. But in all honesty, after the last month or so, we're simply delighted to be there and I'm sure whatever players pull on the red shirt will give it a go. Hopefully we can now get our season back on track.

A special word last night for the fantastic Dons support.....given the shite last 4 weeks, and the fact that it was a Tuesday night in Kilmarnock, the Aberdeen support turned up in big numbers and sang loud and long. Brilliant.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

"I just felt towards the end we looked a little bit jaded, mentally and physically," Clarke said.

"We had six games in 18 days, it's a big ask to play extra-time. That's why I am proud of the players, I thought they were magnificent.

"Aberdeen in the same period of time played three games. Maybe towards the end that was just a crucial little factor in the outcome.

"So, thanks to the fixture panels and the Scottish league and the SFA, we have had a hell of a run of games."

Clarke is fast becoming a classless c0ck. Taking Kilmarnock from absolute shite to just about OK has given him delusions of grandeur, and apparently the right to whine like a bairn when things don't go his way.

The Killie fans were fine last night, but there's an added bonus now in seeing Clarke's ugly, torn-faced pus after we knocked his team out.

Clarke is fast becoming a classless c0ck. Taking Kilmarnock from absolute shite to just about OK has given him delusions of grandeur, and apparently the right to whine like a bairn when things don't go his way.
The Killie fans were fine last night, but there's an added bonus now in seeing Clarke's ugly, torn-faced pus after we knocked his team out.

ffs, what part of that has made you a seething mess?

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, WFAANW said:
28 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

ffs, what part of that has made you a seething mess?

You need to get out more if you think I'm a seething mess. I'm actually in a good mood today.... :lol::lol:

I'll re-phrase my post if it makes you feel better. I can't say I've been over-impressed with Clarke's comments since the first leg. Demanding that the SFA take action against McInnes, trying to play some daft kind of mind-games before the match, and now getting his excuses in for a game where his apparently high-flying team were pretty rubbish.

I wonder how he'll react when the arse falls out of Killie's decent run and results go against him.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Woodman

Harvie

O’Connor

McKenna

Considine

Nwakali

Ball

GMS

Christie

Rooney

May

What’s not to like 

No way will McInness throw Harvie in for a semi-final. We'll end up with..

Woodman

Reynolds/Ball   Arnason   McKenna   Considine

McGinn   O'Connor   Christie   GMS

Rooney May

4 hours ago, Dunty said:

The bit in bold. I didn't see any Aberdeen players goading the home support. But when Killie score O'Donnell and half the team were gesturing to the Aberdeen fans, so fairs fair.

Aye I noticed that , another thing he missed. He's just a dreadful, dreadful ref. 

It wasnt a big issue, just Logan gesticulating to the main stand. He's probably just grateful to have completed the two games given he could have been sent off in both! I just think it's another basic bit of refereeing he gets wrong. If a melee breaks out and the ref is already up the tunnel, how does he deal with it?!

Archived