Mathematical Milestones 2017/18

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Kris Doolan scored his 112th Thistle goal in his 350th appearance at Parkhead last week.

When he opens the scoring against Dundee on Saturday, it will be his 100th league goal for the club. A unique achievement for a Thistle player.

How many have scored 99?

43 minutes ago, ropy said:

How many have scored 99?

Only him.

In terms of league goals alone, Willie Sharp’s 90 was the highest before Doolan beat it.

For total goals in all competitions, I think his 112 places him in 5th. Quite a way to go to reach the top (Sharp again with 229) - they must have played some amount of national/regional cup games back in the 40s & 50s for someone to have scored less than half of their large goal tally in the league.

49 minutes ago, KlokTheKock said:

What's the average number of points usually required to survive the drop? Asking for a Hamilton supporting friend......honest....

Well, there's been four seasons since the playoff was introduced.

If you add back the Hearts deduction in 2013/14, then 11th place has got 38, 36, 36 and 35. That gives an average of 36.25, so 37 should see you safe.

If you're confident of winning a playoff, given that the opponent may be Dundee United, then 12th place is maybe more relevant.

Going further back, we've had the 12 teams and split system since 2000/01. I'll ignore the 11th place points totals because there wasn't a playoff until the leagues merged. The points totals for 12th, again adjusting for points deductions (Gretna, Hearts), has got 30, 21, 28, 26, 33, 18, 32, 23, 37, 31, 26, 25, 30, 35, 30, 28 and 34. Average of 28.65, so 29 might be enough. Although it's worth noting that there is more variation in this number, depending on if there is a really crap team in the league. Indeed, County have already got more points this year than Livi did in 2006, so I would expect the 11th place team to need more than 29. 

18 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Only him.

In terms of league goals alone, Willie Sharp’s 90 was the highest before Doolan beat it.

For total goals in all competitions, I think his 112 places him in 5th. Quite a way to go to reach the top (Sharp again with 229) - they must have played some amount of national/regional cup games back in the 40s & 50s for someone to have scored less than half of their large goal tally in the league.

I see John Litster's database of postwar players has him at 255 apps/90 goals in the league, 60/16 in the league cup, 20/8 Scottish Cup giving a total of 114 goals from 335 games. He only lists 1 "other" cup appearance; no idea what that is.

Might the 229 be a misprint of 129 unless they are counting goals in training and on the back green with his kids?

36 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I see John Litster's database of postwar players has him at 255 apps/90 goals in the league, 60/16 in the league cup, 20/8 Scottish Cup giving a total of 114 goals from 335 games. He only lists 1 "other" cup appearance; no idea what that is.

Might the 229 be a misprint of 129 unless they are counting goals in training and on the back green with his kids?

Had another look into it just there. Sharp's profile on the Thistle website also mentions 229 goals, and the key thing appears to be that he played during the Second World War, where there was no national league setup: Scottish football was instead divided into regions, and 6 years in the Southern League probably returned a fair amount of goals that aren't officially counted as "league" goals. Additionally, his ptfc.co.uk profile mentions the Glasgow Cup a few times, so I guess goals in that are being counted as well.

Archived