Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DA Baracus

Rewriting history

Recommended Posts

I'm sure we've all seen examples of this when it comes to your own club. A player who leaves who was shit and does well elsewhere suddenly was decent and showed promise and should never have been let go, whilst a good player who did well but has done poorly elsewhere was apparently never that good and the club were right to get rid of him.

Similarly managers who were shit apparently should have been kept on, or were hindered by things. 

Clubs used to have huge attendances back in the day with everyone making noise and atmosphere apparently.

I'm sure you get the idea. It could be anything you've seen at your club that folk have tried to make out is/was totally different after the event. I don't quite know why folk do it; perhaps to try and make it look like they're smarter? It's w**k behaviour.

 

I'll start with a some Pars ones.

Some folk still claim that Stephen Kenny was a good manager and wasn't given a fair chance. In reality he was a comically shit manager who by all accounts held absurd training sessions, took about 7 games to get his first win and had us in the lower reaches of the First Division after hidings from Hamilton, Stirling and Livingston.

Some of our fans have a very odd hatred for Stevie Crawford, who was apparently massively overrated and always missed one on ones. In reality he was a brilliant player, in my view one of the best we've ever had. Perhaps his second spell, which incidentally was fairly decent despite being not at the same level as his first one, has altered folks' views of him.

I've also seen recently seen folk saying that Gavin Reilly wasn't used properly last season and/or was treated badly. The reality is that he had plenty of chances in his natural position but was fucking shit and scored a grand total of 2 goals in 28 games.

Sol Bamba has gone on to have a great career and prove himself to be a good player, but he definitely had some absolutely stinking games for us, so folk who claim that they knew all along he'd go on to have the career he had are simply at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know Sevco are the masters of this shit, but let's try and keep them out of this as that stuff is well documented elsewhere, especially on the brilliant 'Banter Years' thread.

Edited by DA Baracus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm sure we've all seen examples of this when it comes to your own club. A player who leaves who was shit and does well elsewhere suddenly was decent and showed promise and should never have been let go, whilst a good player who did well but has done poorly elsewhere was apparently never that good and the club were right to get rid of him.

Similarly managers who were shit apparently should have been kept on, or were hindered by things. 

Clubs used to have huge attendances back in the day with everyone making noise and atmosphere apparently.

I'm sure you get the idea. It could be anything you've seen at your club that folk have tried to make out is/was totally different after the event. I don't quite know why folk do it; perhaps to try and make it look like they're smarter? It's w**k behaviour.

 

I'll start with a some Pars ones.

Some folk still claim that Stephen Kenny was a good manager and wasn't given a fair chance. In reality he was a comically shit manager who by all accounts held absurd training sessions, took about 7 games to get his first win and had us in the lower reaches of the First Division after hidings from Hamilton, Stirling and Livingston.

Some of our fans have a very odd hatred for Stevie Crawford, who was apparently massively overrated and always missed one on ones. In reality he was a brilliant player, in my view one of the best we've ever had. Perhaps his second spell, which incidentally was fairly decent despite being not at the same level as his first one, has altered folks' views of him.

I've also seen recently seen folk saying that Gavin Reilly wasn't used properly last season and/or was treated badly. The reality is that he had plenty of chances in his natural position but was fucking shit and scored a grand total of 2 goals in 28 games.

Sol Bamba has gone on to have a great career and prove himself to be a good player, but he definitely had some absolutely stinking games for us, so folk who claim that they knew all along he'd go on to have the career he had are simply at it.

Really trying to hard, you need to get out a bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm sure we've all seen examples of this when it comes to your own club. A player who leaves who was shit and does well elsewhere suddenly was decent and showed promise and should never have been let go, whilst a good player who did well but has done poorly elsewhere was apparently never that good and the club were right to get rid of him.

Similarly managers who were shit apparently should have been kept on, or were hindered by things. 

Clubs used to have huge attendances back in the day with everyone making noise and atmosphere apparently.

I'm sure you get the idea. It could be anything you've seen at your club that folk have tried to make out is/was totally different after the event. I don't quite know why folk do it; perhaps to try and make it look like they're smarter? It's w**k behaviour.

 

I'll start with a some Pars ones.

Some folk still claim that Stephen Kenny was a good manager and wasn't given a fair chance. In reality he was a comically shit manager who by all accounts held absurd training sessions, took about 7 games to get his first win and had us in the lower reaches of the First Division after hidings from Hamilton, Stirling and Livingston.

Some of our fans have a very odd hatred for Stevie Crawford, who was apparently massively overrated and always missed one on ones. In reality he was a brilliant player, in my view one of the best we've ever had. Perhaps his second spell, which incidentally was fairly decent despite being not at the same level as his first one, has altered folks' views of him.

I've also seen recently seen folk saying that Gavin Reilly wasn't used properly last season and/or was treated badly. The reality is that he had plenty of chances in his natural position but was fucking shit and scored a grand total of 2 goals in 28 games.

Sol Bamba has gone on to have a great career and prove himself to be a good player, but he definitely had some absolutely stinking games for us, so folk who claim that they knew all along he'd go on to have the career he had are simply at it.

I was a big fan of Sol's but it looked like him and Scott Wilson were not compatible and didn't take orders from each other very well. Loved Stevie Crawford - had to be a bitter, miserable hoor to not enjoy having witnessed him playing for us. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shandon Par said:

I was a big fan of Sol's but it looked like him and Scott Wilson were not compatible and didn't take orders from each other very well. Loved Stevie Crawford - had to be a bitter, miserable hoor to not enjoy having witnessed him playing for us. 

 

 

Sums up some Pars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Professional footballer in being unable to spell a three letter word shock.

Just a few months ago a section of the Morton fanbase were bemoaning the club's decision to let dayglo mediocrity Derek Lyle leave the club in the summer of 2011. A particularly gormless attempt at rewriting history, considering that we let him go in order to sign Peter MacDonald, who was twice the player of Lyle, scored 27 goals in two seasons for us in the First Division and was instrumental to our title-challenging side in 2012/13.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Ross was a good assistant to us, but I've always felt the praise he gets as being the "mastermind" behind our escape is unfair on Ian Murray. Jack was there for well over a year before Murray arrived and was part of the management team which had us bottom of the league in November with 3 points.  Even after Adamson was sacked and Ross took charge of a couple of games, we didn't really see any marked effect (a ground out 1-0 at Cowdenbeath aside). As soon as Murray was in the door we improved 10 fold and skelped both Morton and Falkirk on their own patch immediately and went on to finish in 7th with 43 points. Murray had his faults which I think Jack Ross did a good job of questioning, but to give the sole praise to one or the other would be unfair I think.

On another note, Iain Chisholm is widely regarded as being a shite footballer who tried hard by many Dumbarton fans.  I can categorically state that this is untrue and Iain Chisholm is, without doubt, the best player ever to play the game in Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Some folk still claim that Stephen Kenny was a good manager and wasn't given a fair chance. In reality he was a comically shit manager who by all accounts held absurd training sessions, took about 7 games to get his first win and had us in the lower reaches of the First Division after hidings from Hamilton, Stirling and Livingston.

I'll happily be your counter here. Some of the methods Stephen Kenny tried to apply in 2007 was his attempt to modernise the club and was not well received by much of the playing squad and as such that management team and the club did not click at time. You would be hard pushed to argue with his management record in the League of Ireland particularly at Derry and Dundalk and his European record has been fantastic. It does leave you you wondering what could have been possible with a group of players who would buy into his methods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShaggysBeard said:

I'll happily be your counter here. Some of the methods Stephen Kenny tried to apply in 2007 was his attempt to modernise the club and was not well received by much of the playing squad and as such that management team and the club did not click at time. You would be hard pushed to argue with his management record in the League of Ireland particularly at Derry and Dundalk and his European record has been fantastic. It does leave you you wondering what could have been possible with a group of players who would buy into his methods.

That's fair but it also overlooks what it is to be a manager - ie to manage the group of players. By contrast Jimmy Mac probably did a better job of managing that particular group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The legendary "Ginger God" that is Peter Houston.

Never understood his near hero status as a player, bang average player in an average team.

JOURNEYMAN

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's fair but it also overlooks what it is to be a manager - ie to manage the group of players. By contrast Jimmy Mac probably did a better job of managing that particular group. 


Yeah that's a good point. Stephen Kenny was only in the mid 30s, had only known success and hype in his own country. Probably came over thinking he was Billy Big Baws and expecting everything to adapt to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I'll happily be your counter here. Some of the methods Stephen Kenny tried to apply in 2007 was his attempt to modernise the club and was not well received by much of the playing squad and as such that management team and the club did not click at time. You would be hard pushed to argue with his management record in the League of Ireland particularly at Derry and Dundalk and his European record has been fantastic. It does leave you you wondering what could have been possible with a group of players who would buy into his methods.

There are accounts that his training was anything but modern. No idea how accurate such claims are since I never watched it, but a popular story I've heard is that he used to do a drill where he would practice smashing the ball long from kick off.

That he's went on to do well doesn't mean he was poorly treated by us or that he wasn't given a fair chance. Of course I've also heard stories of squad members not buying in to his stuff, but then that's up to him to manage that situation. He also gave all of the 'accused' new contracts as well anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There are accounts that his training was anything but modern. No idea how accurate such claims are since I never watched it, but a popular story I've heard is that he used to do a drill where he would practice smashing the ball long from kick off.
That he's went on to do well doesn't mean he was poorly treated by us or that he wasn't given a fair chance. Of course I've also heard stories of squad members not buying in to his stuff, but then that's up to him to manage that situation. He also gave all of the 'accused' new contracts as well anyway.


Absolutely no accusation of being unfairly treated from the club by me. Not a right fit at the time, impossible to deny that he's a extremely capable manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Falkirk fans seem to believe the atmosphere at Brockville was amazing every week and was also packed to the rafters.

Fact is 1 game a season it was brilliant and I also speak to many Fathers who wouldn't have taken their child near Brockville until they were much older than when they took them to Westfield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Describing a side that finished 11 (eleven) points behind the leaders as 'title challenging' is an excellent example of rewriting history, and a very good contribution to the thread, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The legendary "Ginger God" that is Peter Houston.

Never understood his near hero status as a player, bang average player in an average team.

JOURNEYMAN

 

It was things like Albion away that raised Houstie's status.

11 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Falkirk fans seem to believe the atmosphere at Brockville was amazing every week and was also packed to the rafters.

Fact is 1 game a season it was brilliant and I also speak to many Fathers who wouldn't have taken their child near Brockville until they were much older than when they took them to Westfield.

 

I'm in complete disagreement with you.

('Many fathers'  :blink:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hawk said:

Really trying to hard, you need to get out a bit!

f**k off Gav. You were total shite with Dunfermline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

On another note, Iain Chisholm is widely regarded as being a shite footballer who tried hard by many Dumbarton fans.  I can categorically state that this is untrue and Iain Chisholm is, without doubt, the best player ever to play the game in Scotland.

This x 10000000. The fact that he took my round all the title winning players in 2009 on his shoulders is in no way impacting on my views of him either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember Chiz was doing anti bigotry campaign in Coatbridge with the big guy who owned Albion rRovers

They finished a talk and as they walked back to the car

Iain’s phone went off and his ring tone was the Sash :thumsup2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, parslad said:

f**k off Gav. You were total shite with Dunfermline.

School's out I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×